• We would like to welcome Exquisite Trimmings as an official Affiliate Vendor. Exquisite Trimmings is a UK based purveyor of the very best in clothing and accessories, from gloves by Thomas Reimer to leather portfolios from Il Micio, to watch rolls by Rapport London. Please visit their new thread and give them a warm welcome.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2020 - News, Pictures, Clothing, Accessories, etc.

wasmisterfu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
where did you nab those suede Cornwallis? Don’t think I’ve ever seen those sold or available in TS
They were a short-lived collaboration with Joseph Abboud, when he was still selling his own stuff (versus all the licensed stuff sold through Men’s Whorehouse / Jos A Bank). They’re pretty neat; they used the Independence-Line style linings and were really nicely executed.

EZB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What is wrong with black shoes????
Nothing in particular. It just doesn’t go as well as browns with my wardrobe of jeans. The Whitney is modern and casual though, so it does get more wear than my black Cambridge. At the moment, nothing gets wear...

BFT9000

Reaction score
One more shot of the Hamilton’s, this one represents their color a bit better! @BFT9000, the Strand man needs some Strand boots in his life! After initially being skeptical to finally purchasing them in October, these have proven to be super versatile.
View attachment 1400692
Nice shot! Were I to buy a pair I'd be torn between brown and cognac...

Speaking of buying new shoes, has anyone heard from @ae_ashley lately? Here's hoping some semblance of normalcy returns and we get another trunk show at the end of the year. My shell collection is at a measly 8 pairs, and in desperate need of growing...

Rithrin

Reaction score
City Center DC AE store took some riot damage yesterday. Doesn't look like they were able to loot. Be safe, Henry!

View attachment 1398283
Ugh. I need to check up on my local AE in San Francisco... Visited my local tailor who is nearby and they were cleaning out, removed almost all decorations and sample suits to deter looters. The Church of Scientology was boarded up nearby, which seemed odd until I remembered something about how they keep written detailed records of their version of confessionals. Probably not something they'd want getting into the hands of the public!

The past week has made me realize I really, really dislike our mainstream media. We had enough problems with covid and a severe recession. I'm trying my best to avoid reading or paying attention to these riots. One cool thing I noticed is that the store windows still have the old AE logo on them. Glad they failed to loot.
The neighborhood in Dallas where I live has taken the brunt of the damage from the rioters and looters. The bars, restaurants and shops were boarded up (all small businesses) for 6 weeks because of COVID and open at 25% capacity for about a week before this hit. They looted a number of bars/restaurants and stores in the neighborhood stealing mostly alcohol and consumer goods like sneakers and clothing.

Two of our neighborhood 7-11 had windows smashed and were looted. If they cared or thought at all I'm sure the looters thought they were striking a blow against at faceless corporation but in reality our neighborhood store is owned by a first generation immigrant franchisee from Asia who has been a fixture of the neighborhood for over 15 years. He and his wife can still occasionally be found working shifts behind the counter (sometimes even with their small children). Broken windows are the sort of expenses that may not be far enough in excess of the deductible to make an insurance claim but still large enough to really wreck your cashflow. Pretty heartbreaking stuff.

Still imagining how the typical SF poster would loot is kind of a fun exercise
Several local pharmacies supplying doctor's offices in the area here were ransacked. What depressing times. Most surreal experience watching videos posted on reddit of mobs bashing down doors and windows of shops that I used to visit often prior to the lockdown.

But this is a shoe thread and shoes we shall have! First photo of some F2 Walnut Cornwallis. I do dig them as is, but as I picked them up on one of those mega sales, I'm going to use them as a color change practice experiment. Looking to make them more yellow-brown with Saphir Light brown 03 and also try my hand at a bit of toe and heel burnishing.

IMG_20200603_142108.jpg

This Friday our county government is allowing outdoor dining. Very excited to partake after all these months. Stay safe, everyone!

fiestaplatypus

Reaction score
Anyone know who makes the AE sport shirts that run $99 retail in the S/M/L/XL sizing? The Gitman shirts are clearly marked, but these seem to be private labeled.

Anyone care to comment on quality?

TIA.

MajorDash

Reaction score
Nice shot! Were I to buy a pair I'd be torn between brown and cognac...

Speaking of buying new shoes, has anyone heard from @ae_ashley lately? Here's hoping some semblance of normalcy returns and we get another trunk show at the end of the year. My shell collection is at a measly 8 pairs, and in desperate need of growing...
I have been waiting on a response from Charleston about an order for about a week now. She also hasn’t been active on here or other platforms. Maybe their store is closed due to riot damage or something?

Shoenut

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is 9D a difficult size to move? I’d have thought it was pretty common.
On this forum it is difficult to move. A lot of us are into AE because we are not a common size.

smfdoc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

munchau

Reaction score
So to put it perspective, it takes a lot of miles, a lot of wear and not using trees, before your AE polished cobbler will look like this:

These were on their 3rd, possibly 4th, set of soles when I got ‘em for the 2018 Shoe Restoration Competition (they’d been fully resoled at least once and then half resoled, but the welt is so chewed up, I think it may be more than that).

Bunch of chemicals and elbow grease (to strip the PC finish), and I refinished them to this:

Since 2018, I’ve done more finishing and antiquing, so they look like this today (getting towards two years later, in my regular rotation, they’ll probably go for a recraft so I can get some new welts and soles):

So once your AE Polished Cobbler shoes hit EOL with the factory PU finish, if your feel brave and enjoy shoe science experiments, you can strip ‘em, reshape them, and refinish them into something different, because there’s nothing wrong with the calf sitting under that finish.
I’m still working up the courage to do this to my CG MacNeils.

Shoenut

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good day for the Plymouth.
0DDCA183-B007-480A-9CC8-81F1A2BC17AA.jpeg

woofmang

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It is common, just seems no one wants a pair.
Have you tried putting them on the main Buy & Sell Thread (link in top menu)? Probably a lot more action there than on the AE B&S Thread...

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

What's your favorite summer fabric?

• Seersucker

• Fresco

• Linen

• Silk

Results are only viewable after voting.