• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

wasmisterfu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you so much for this information. This is why I love this group.
You’re welcome. I post a variation of this about ever 60 days or so. There’s a lot of misinformation, weird shared labeling and other problems regarding shoe leather.

Also, I don’t, as a rule, recommend even high-end PU coated leather (such as polished cobbler) because of the long-term maintainability of the stuff. Once it starts looking bad, drastic action will be needed, action that will alter the nature of the shoe. If there is a full grain calf, or shell, version of the shoe you’re looking for, you should pursue that version.

That being said, if you see a pair that you really like or for which the model was only (or the majority of) was produced in something like PC, you shouldn’t worry that they’re going to crack and fall apart (as a number of articles on the interwebs proclaim). In my experience, PU coated leathers don’t crack or split anymore often than regular full-grain calf. The high quality stuff, especially for 80’s vintage premium brands, was made of very good stuff. However, you should always push for a steep discount, even for NOS or light-wear examples

I also recommend having a least a small subset of PU coated pairs for bad-weather days. AE polished cobbler is especially excellent for monsoon days and for post-blizzard salt-slushy resistance. However, it should only be a subset, IMHO; out of 50+ pair (!?! at @smfdoc and @suitforcourt - what have you done to me) only 5 are of this type of leather.

dpgaloot

Reaction score
If I have exaggerated affinity for the natural welt, we can start by blaming these.

McTavish_Distressed_25.jpg

Distressed Leather McTavish. I haven't followed AE as closely as many here over the years but when the Rough Collection came out it blew my mind, and my collection doubled in just a few weeks. Still one of my favorites, and one that looks at home with jeans rather than something just visiting from more upscale trousers.

wasmisterfu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You’re welcome. I post a variation of this about ever 60 days or so. There’s a lot of misinformation, weird shared labeling and other problems regarding shoe leather.

Also, I don’t, as a rule, recommend even high-end PU coated leather (such as polished cobbler) because of the long-term maintainability of the stuff. Once it starts looking bad, drastic action will be needed, action that will alter the nature of the shoe. If there is a full grain calf, or shell, version of the shoe you’re looking for, you should pursue that version.

That being said, if you see a pair that you really like or for which the model was only (or the majority of) was produced in something like PC, you shouldn’t worry that they’re going to crack and fall apart (as a number of articles on the interwebs proclaim). In my experience, PU coated leathers don’t crack or split anymore often than regular full-grain calf. The high quality stuff, especially for 80’s vintage premium brands, was made of very good stuff. However, you should always push for a steep discount, even for NOS or light-wear examples

I also recommend having a least a small subset of PU coated pairs for bad-weather days. AE polished cobbler is especially excellent for monsoon days and for post-blizzard salt-slushy resistance. However, it should only be a subset, IMHO; out of 50+ pair (!?! at @smfdoc and @suitforcourt - what have you done to me) only 5 are of this type of leather.
LOL... I’m on the AE thread and didn’t even realize it.

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Sir, I wish to inform you that tassel loafers go with everything. Including Speedo’s.
The last time I wore a speedo, I was arrested for public nudity on a nude beach.

Lionel Hutz

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads