• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rithrin

Reaction score
Making the masks is what keeps the workers employed! It doesn’t say they are donating them, right? In many cases, the factories are not essential, and all workers would have to be laid off. If they instead make masks and sell them at cost, they can keep the workers employed and the factory open for your calls and online orders.

You know, it never even crossed my mind that they might be selling them rather than donating, but you're absolutely correct if so.

However, this article about furlough seemed to imply that they are donating masks to hospitals in Wisconsin, which is significantly more generous. Either way, hopefully the layoffs and furloughs have been reduced due to the mask making efforts.

In case anyone was wondering about the 64 Last vs the 78 Last, here are some comparison photos of my Navy Wooster St vs newly acquired Olive Mercer St:

IMG_20200406_190046.jpg
IMG_20200406_191522.jpg

On AE's website, the 64 and 78 are both described as being based on the 65, but "slightly roomier across the ball and forepart of the foot". The term "relaxed fit" is used in each case. The 64 is "slightly longer" while the 78 is "slighter (sic) elongated with a tapered toe".

It was not too surprising to find they were the same length, and they actually look quite similar in shape beyond the strap beginning a bit further fore and the accompanying larger opening. However, in terms of fit they feel immensely different.

On the Wooster I do feel a bit of pressure on the corners of my big and pinky toes, and to slide into these I absolutely require a horn - even then, it's a squeeze to get in there! On the Mercer, toes and ball of foot feel great, no pressure, but I literally walk out of the shoe. No horn needed, and the heel has a real gap with no grip. See below for example.

IMG_20200406_185414.jpg

Comparing the profiles, only thing I can think of is that the slightly forward strap is making all the difference. On the Wooster, the strap is likely preventing my foot from sliding forward further into the shoe. And as the strap starts closer to the rear (aft??) of the shoe, the vamp tapers down to the toes more quickly, which may be more fitting to my foot. Additionally, I believe the Wooster has a more aggressive waist than the Mercer, which grips better.

For the first time, I'm thinking that sizing down may be in order! Got half size down in same width on the way to compare. Hopefully the reduction in width from sizing down doesn't kill the comfy toe box fit. This experience is further pushing me towards the 79, with its wider ball, low fit, and narrower heel.

The loafer fit journey continues. If any of you vets think I'm approaching this the wrong way, I'm open to any and all advice!

(Edited to correct a typo!)

Last edited:

instigateur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Monday Funday. Getting used to this WFH thing. Non AE suede wingtips.

IMG_20200406_112802.jpg

Last edited:

Rithrin

Reaction score
What size are these?

Both are 11 EEE. And it turns out the replacement I ordered was 10 EEE, not 10.5 EEE - oops! Well each size is supposed to be a 0.35 inch length change, approximately, and the heel gap is about that distance, so maybe 10 will actually be fine.

instigateur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Netflix Strand sighting. Schitt's Creek is hilarious.

IMG_20200406_214140.jpg

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Both are 11 EEE. And it turns out the replacement I ordered was 10 EEE, not 10.5 EEE - oops! Well each size is supposed to be a 0.35 inch length change, approximately, and the heel gap is about that distance, so maybe 10 will actually be fine.
I would be shocked if 10 works for you... I'm betting you'd need 11EE, which of course won't exist. I haven't found an opportunity to make even 10.5 work, but just maybe your foot will work with it. I assume these are D/EEE only? (I only say this based on what I can see if how you fit in the same size as me)

Rithrin

Reaction score
I would be shocked if 10 works for you... I'm betting you'd need 11EE, which of course won't exist. I haven't found an opportunity to make even 10.5 work, but just maybe your foot will work with it. I assume these are D/EEE only? (I only say this based on what I can see if how you fit in the same size as me)

Yes, D / EEE only, unfortunately. I may try adding (without actually adhering) both a tongue and heel pad to the 11 and see if it makes a difference, but I have my doubts. I am a bit miffed that I accidentally ordered the 10 instead of 10.5, not sure what happened there, but I may still order it depending on how the 10 goes this weekend. If I ever try the Randolph, though, I'll be sure to play with the widths.

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yes, D / EEE only, unfortunately. I may try adding (without actually adhering) both a tongue and heel pad to the 11 and see if it makes a difference, but I have my doubts. I am a bit miffed that I accidentally ordered the 10 instead of 10.5, not sure what happened there, but I may still order it depending on how the 10 goes this weekend. If I ever try the Randolph, though, I'll be sure to play with the widths.
I think you'll run into heel issues with the Randolph at 11EEE as well... Just a heads up.

DapperAndy

Reaction score
An amazing shine (as usual), Andy!
Thanks buddy! Got quite a bit of time to polish, even though we're still manufacturing non-stop. Although, I sliced my finger open tonight on a wine glass. So that may slow my mirror shine down a bit. Oops!

Burgundy Polished Cobbler from 1986. These are corrected grain, so polish will probably wipe right off.
Polished Cobbler can still take waxes quite well. It just doesn't have the "grip" full-grain does, or absorb the cream polishes as well. However, you can still get the protective (and shine) benefit from waxes on toes and heels.

Here are two Park Avenues: Black Full-grain Calf, and Burgundy Polished Cobbler. Both shined up pretty well. The Black retained the supple conditioning of the cream polishes better.
allen-edmonds-park-avenue-black-and-burgundy-mirror-polished-pure-polish.jpg
allen-edmonds-park-avenue-mirror-shined-dress-shoes-pure-polish-high-shine.jpg

Blue_Bowtie

Reaction score
Thanks! I love them! They’re a little lighter in blue, little more sky, than in the photo. My collection has gotten to the point where I’m looking for things more like this, on the casual end of things. Very happy :)
How’s the fit compared to other 65 lasted shoes, being that they are partially lined?

Rithrin

Reaction score
I think you'll run into heel issues with the Randolph at 11EEE as well... Just a heads up.
Looks like you're wearing an 11 EE so that should probably the one I try first!

bpanicola

Reaction score
Netflix Strand sighting. Schitt's Creek is hilarious.

View attachment 1367280

Love that show. My wife and I are binging through every season. We laugh so hard my teenage son started watching it. I am finally watching TV since there are No work functions, work travel, my son playing sports or sports on TV.
Stay safe all.

lemmy127

Reaction score
Wearing Rust Stinger Beckleys and waiting in line at Trader Joe's.

View attachment 1367150

No "A-E In The Wild" picture today. To make up for the lack of an "A-E In The Wild" picture, a picture of people unclear on the concept of standing in line 6 feet apart, even though there are pieces of yellow tape on the ground spaced 6 feet apart.

At least it wasn't raining any more.

View attachment 1367153

I miss Trader Joe's so much. It was only a four minute drive from my place in Wisconsin. Now, the closest one to me is a 62 minute drive away. Once this is all over, I'm going to have to make a trip with a big cooler. Beef and broccoli is my absolute favorite.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads