• Styleforum is going on Instagram Live today with Eva Kuhle of Epaulet

Today, Peter talks to Eva Kuhle of Epaulet, a long time Styleforum member and sponsor, in the latest episode in our ongoing series of conversations about COVID-19 and the impact the global pandemic on the menswear industry

Tune in at 4:00 p.m. PDT

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2020 - News, Pictures, Clothing, Accessories, etc.

Lionel Hutz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
D904F0D5-D5CC-481A-B033-79EB885C7135.jpeg

not sure why I got this dressed up to come to the office just to feed the fish

social conventions aside, since urine is sterile I suppose there's no real harm in peeing in the sink of an empty office ... right?

asking for a friend, obviously

Last edited:

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Honestly, if you just upload a few photos of them, we should be able to identify if they're shell or not based on the pictures alone. Once you have an eye for it, the only thing that can fool you is a glossy pair of unworn corrected grain leather... which the Mora wasn't made in.
Agreed. Super easy to identify vs calf.

Reactions: RJG

savvysartorial

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I started to WFH this week.
Yesterday, I wore canvas chinos and a button-down shirt. My wife asked “you dressed up to work from home?”

So today I dressed it down a little. Denim and flannel. I also wore these
MacNeils for the first time. (I’ve had them in cold storage for a couple years.)
View attachment 1360798View attachment 1360797

Stay healthy, everyone.
Those are SO good with that welt and edge color. I wish I liked the 97 last more....

Happy Wingtip Wednesday, fellow shoe enthusiasts!
Grant Stone Bourbon Suede LWBs:

View attachment 1360832
LOVE that shoe. It's coming up in my rotation... So classic and a great take on the great American classic, the Longwing.

Agreed. Super easy to identify vs calf.
When I first started this whole (shoe) rat race, it took a minute to tell. Now it's second nature and can't be unlearned! :fonz:

lemmy127

Reaction score
@lemmy127 here you go. I'm fairly new to the AE game - I should just cop to that right upfront. Any tips on how to spot cordovan in the future I'm all ears.
Calf, without a doubt.

Edit: The biggest thing is that shell doesn't crease, it "rolls". So at flex points in the leather, you'll never see the fine (or not fine if it has loose grain) wrinkles. It will look like this instead. There's other, more subtle differences, like shell cordovan will pucker around eyelets over time, the rolls' "valleys" will usually get lighter rather than darker like calf's creases (unless you use polish, which IMO you shouldn't on shell), the color of the shell will look different from different angles, and the shoe overall won't have a wholly uniform color, especially as it ages. And it just has a natural shine/luster that unpolished calf will never have. It also looks less porous than calf.

Last edited:

matwa

Reaction score
Work from (different) home - day 3.

Kirkwoods are the only shoes that I have with me!

03-25-20 Krikwood.jpg

lemmy127

Reaction score
Nope! They have E sizes for just about everything and some EEE sizes. Might be out of luck if you're a narrow size though.
Seemingly every shoemaker other than Allen Edmonds, Alden, and Rancourt: There aren't enough of you for us to care about you, so you narrow width people can just wear D width with some heel pads or thicker socks or something. Who cares that your feet will still ping pong around inside the shoe with those solutions?

manowar

Reaction score
Happy Wingtip Wednesday, fellow shoe enthusiasts!
Grant Stone Bourbon Suede LWBs:

View attachment 1360832
Infiltration in progress [behind these buttons].

Decided it was a boot day in the office basement.View attachment 1360765
These look like shell AE x Wolverine? Stunning.

Not going to lie. I am very glad I skipped the AE suede show now. These guys were $247. CFS Repello suede in a beautiful light brown color.

Non-AE spoiler...
Thanks for sharing pictures. I am torn between a suede plain toe or moc-toe boot. It would help my decision if that one came with a rubber sole since I like the pattern better, but can't justify anything else on a leather sole (so much rain).

Here's my own contribution working from work today :satisfied:. By the way, Grant Stone is now running an unprecendented site-wide sale.
Hard to capture accurate color with natural CXL, they look darker and richer in person.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

WHICH TYPE OF SNEAKERS WORK BEST ON A FIRST DATE?

• Classic Leather Low-Top

• Canvas Plimsoll

• Leather Slip-On

• Canvas Slip-On

• Athletic Kicks

• Leather High-Top

Results are only viewable after voting.