• Welcome to our newest affiliate vendor, Passus Shoes. We are very happy to welcome our newest affiliate vendor, Passus Shoes. Passus shoes was founded by long term members of the forum and veterans of the shoes business. and is dedicated to crafting fine shoes in Budapest in a time honored tradition. Please help me give them a warm welcome in their new affiliate vendor thread.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2020 - News, Pictures, Clothing, Accessories, etc.

michaeliany

Reaction score
it’s the excuse they needed to start a sell. We will see the Dow to 22000 for sure, likely to 21000, and maybe even to 18000
The market has proven to be remarkably resilient during these last 4 years, despite foreign tensions, leaving trade agreements, increasing tariffs, general bullying, a lack of authentic diplomacy, etc.
However, the "Caronavirus" is something else. Panic seems to be spreading even quicker than the virus itself.
My friend in Hong Kong says it's very real and my cousin in Italy said that people are extremely scared.
It's definitely going to get worse before it gets any better.
Still, I have a friend that booked a trip to Japan just yesterday due to cheap airfare. He told me it was so cheap. I didn't inquire about exact pricing.
If the panic takes hold, it will grip the world and squeeze tight.
Who knows how bad it will be.
I parked my investments into cash equivalents yesterday.
Time to brace ourselves.

Luckily I have my Strands on with grippy V-Tread. (Sorry no pic - I know - boooooo).

Lionel Hutz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The market has proven to be remarkably resilient during these last 4 years, despite foreign tensions, leaving trade agreements, increasing tariffs, general bullying, a lack of authentic diplomacy, etc.
However, the "Caronavirus" is something else. Panic seems to be spreading even quicker than the virus itself.
My friend in Hong Kong says it's very real and my cousin in Italy said that people are extremely scared.
Still, I have a friend that booked a trip to Japan just yesterday due to cheap airfare. He told me it was so cheap. I didn't inquire about exact pricing.
Time to brace ourselves.

Luckily I have my Strands on with grippy V-Tread. (Sorry no pic - I know - boooooo).

OTOH I have been building cash for just this sort of moment. I built cash between 2000-2008 and deployed it after the financial crisis and hopefully I will get another chance in the next 3-9 months. Good panics come every 10 years or so and there are always good buying opportunities in them. blood on the streets and all that

EZB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Time to brace ourselves.

The P/Es were too high. Everybody was just pushing ahead despite a lot of risk. With this, the economic driver is not just panic, but actual production losses. That will result in lower financial results. It's the easiest trigger of a correction.

Count de Monet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In non-financial news, and for those who like pictures of shoes in shoe threads, a week in review.

Not spoilered cause “ain’t nobody got time for that.”

BBxCJ chocolate suede Connistons
AE Sauk Drives in dublin
AE Strands in natty shell
CJ Galway 2’s

E171D864-3A1B-414F-AD6F-AF680B4917A4.jpegDFFC3CF8-B6FC-4D2F-A2C0-94DC3D8877C4.jpeg7DB3A961-5B11-4377-A10D-E132E648DE6F.jpegE03B8A40-4443-472A-963C-8E24AB96C5AB.jpeg

ProfilaBinding

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sorry for the financial stuff. Didn't mean to derail the thread.

Never had known about this boot called the Eagle River. Anyone own these? Are they good? This is 8 EEE, but probably very expensive if you bought it from Japan.

woofmang

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Maiden voyage of my new Brown Tupelos (which @Shoenut pretty much single-handedly weaseled me into, whether he knows it or not):

20200228_tupelo.jpg

(I guess I should have avoided putting wax on the vamps... Oh, well, live and learn...)

lemmy127

Reaction score
Sorry for the financial stuff. Didn't mean to derail the thread.

Never had known about this boot called the Eagle River. Anyone own these? Are they good? This is 8 EEE, but probably very expensive if you bought it from Japan.

Looks just like the infamous Eagle County with a different sole. Pre-First Avenues and in the good old days with free-for-all MTOs in the custom thread, that was a boot made up dozens of ways at dirt cheap prices.

michaeliany

Reaction score
OTOH I have been building cash for just this sort of moment. I built cash between 2000-2008 and deployed it after the financial crisis and hopefully I will get another chance in the next 3-9 months. Good panics come every 10 years or so and there are always good buying opportunities in them. blood on the streets and all that
The P/Es were too high. Everybody was just pushing ahead despite a lot of risk. With this, the economic driver is not just panic, but actual production losses. That will result in lower financial results. It's the easiest trigger of a correction.
No doubt about investment opportunity. I'm sure there are a lot lying in wait, licking their chops. I also got back in sometime in mid 2009, when the dow was in the low 7000s.
Back during the SARs virus, I remember the market also panicking a bit but nothing like this with Coronavirus. If I recall, it only took a few months. This time though, not sure how long it will take to contain the virus, assuage fears, then normalize.
and true that, EZB. I read an article a month or two ago - not sure where, Barron's? and I was shocked to see the P/Es so freakin high. 20+??? nuts.
Back during college, we learned 4-6x was a P/E ratio indicative of a strong company.
Then it jumped to 8 then 10 and nowadays, it's just nuts. Apple was like what, up to 24x?

EZB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No doubt about investment opportunity. I'm sure there are a lot lying in wait, licking their chops. I also got back in sometime in mid 2009, when the dow was in the low 7000s.
Back during the SARs virus, I remember the market also panicking a bit but nothing like this with Coronavirus. If I recall, it only took a few months. This time though, not sure how long it will take to contain the virus, assuage fears, then normalize.
and true that, EZB. I read an article a month or two ago - not sure where, Barron's? and I was shocked to see the P/Es so freakin high. 20+??? nuts.
Back during college, we learned 4-6x was a P/E ratio indicative of a strong company.
Then it jumped to 8 then 10 and nowadays, it's just nuts. Apple was like what, up to 24x?
I call these corrections and recovery the ratchet effect. Everybody loses wealth in the downturn. The middle class people have to sell their assets on the cheap to continue. The wealthy have enough money to buy everything on the cheap. The recovery then gives all the gains back to net-zero to the wealthy, and the middle class and poor lose relative wealth. It's not good for the country.

James1051

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just received a questionnaire about dress sneakers from AE.

Deeply flawed. About 20 questions, all being variations of Tell us why you love our dress sneakers and how much of your hard earned dough you will giveus for them. they never asked if I like any of them. Which I really don’t. Blech!

get ready for the Strand sneaker and the Park sneaker! Really AE?🤮

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How do you feel about spending money on non-essential goods during the Covid-19 crisis?

• I don't want to spend money at a time of economic uncertainty, even if I could afford it.

• I feel compelled to spend to help small businesses that are struggling.

• I reduced my budget for non-essential goods and I'm not spending at the moment.

• Not much has changed for me and I'm still buying stuff I can't afford.

Results are only viewable after voting.