• We would like to welcome Exquisite Trimmings as an official Affiliate Vendor. Exquisite Trimmings is a UK based purveyor of the very best in clothing and accessories, from gloves by Thomas Reimer to leather portfolios from Il Micio, to watch rolls by Rapport London. Please visit their new thread and give them a warm welcome.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2020 - News, Pictures, Clothing, Accessories, etc.

Rithrin

Reaction score
How does the last fit? Is it close to TTS for brannok? Or is it a finicky last like the 65?
Here's some comparison photos between my Fifth Ave on 65 and this Cornwallis on 1943. They are both 11 EEE.

I'm not the best authority on whether something is TTS, however I can say that I easily get full closure on the V with the 1943, and the 65 I only get that after very long break in using cross lacing to pull it tight. It's much more snug on the ball of the foot, but I feel it most on the pinky toe side. The actual toe box itself seems to be about the same as the 65 as it has less of a taper overall despite the reduced width. Heel feels just a bit narrower than the 65.

IMG_20200228_001331.jpg
IMG_20200228_001410.jpg

Hope that helps!

Shoenut

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone own anything on the 1943 last? Wondering how the fit is?
I own both the Cornwallis and Leiden. Compared to my 65 last shoes, I find the 1943 to be a better fit for me in both styles. Better closure, more comfortable at the ball of foot. The 65 last is tight at the ball and the cone is not as high. A lot of guys would say that I wear my shoes too long as my longest heel to toe is a 9. But my heel to ball is 9.5 on one foot and a 10 on the other. I fit the arch length and width down to the B width as at a nine I am a heavy C width or a light D width. So I do not have issues with the pinky toe. If you are fitting the 65 based on heel to toe length, you may want to go a half size up or one width wider. It really depends on where your hot spots are on the 65.

vdubiv

Reaction score
I own both the Cornwallis and Leiden. Compared to my 65 last shoes, I find the 1943 to be a better fit for me in both styles. Better closure, more comfortable at the ball of foot. The 65 last is tight at the ball and the cone is not as high. A lot of guys would say that I wear my shoes too long as my longest heel to toe is a 9. But my heel to ball is 9.5 on one foot and a 10 on the other. I fit the arch length and width down to the B width as at a nine I am a heavy C width or a light D width. So I do not have issues with the pinky toe. If you are fitting the 65 based on heel to toe length, you may want to go a half size up or one width wider. It really depends on where your hot spots are on the 65.
Thanks to both of you for the description / pictures.

So in lets say Nike's I wear 13 all day, but with the 65 I find 12.5 seems to work better as the 13's I have run "long". I do have a 12E on the 65, length is fine, but I have some slight pressure on the pinky toe, prolly EE would have been better.
Long story short I've been wanting some double monks for a while and was looking at the St. Johns, without access to a store, and only having snail mail at my disposal I'm hesitant on ordering due to sizing. Just trying to get an idea what I should be looking at if I do pull the trigger.
That True Size thing on AE says I should order a 13, but also says in the description fit will be Long, which makes me think maybe size down and go wider to compensate.

James1051

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

So in lets say Nike's I wear 13 all day, but with the 65 I find 12.5 seems to work better as the 13's I have run "long". I do have a 12E on the 65, length is fine, but I have some slight pressure on the pinky toe, prolly EE would have been better.
Long story short I've been wanting some double monks for a while and was looking at the St. Johns, without access to a store, and only having snail mail at my disposal I'm hesitant on ordering due to sizing. Just trying to get an idea what I should be looking at if I do pull the trigger.
That True Size thing on AE says I should order a 13, but also says in the description fit will be Long, which makes me think maybe size down and go wider to compensate.
My $0.02: go with your normal size. I find the the fit of the 1943 narrow (in my normal size and width) all around, and definitely shorter than the 65. I would not be able to wear a st johns or a cornie half size down. That might be painful.

All that said, 1943 in my normal size and width is my best AE fit. Like it was mtm for me. Better than the great 65, which has just a bit too much extra length to be perfect.

Side note. I love a walnut St John for summer. great looking shoe

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
How does the last fit? Is it close to TTS for brannok? Or is it a finicky last like the 65?
Neo is always a good start point. Newer lasts down in comments of page

vdubiv

Reaction score
Neo is always a good start point. Newer lasts down in comments of page
Thanks for that link, that should be stickied to this thread, it should always be at the top of the screen no matter what page you are on.

DawgPound

Reaction score

For what it’s worth, originally I thought I was a 11.5 EE (12’s in Nike). After some sizing, found my best fit to be 11 EEE on the 65 last. I then went 1943 last (St John) and got the same 11 EEE. Thought it was a tad snug at the pinky, but as it broke in, fits nicely. Thought about returning it, but glad I stayed with 11 EEE. EE can be hard to come by FYI.

vdubiv

Reaction score
For what it’s worth, originally I thought I was a 11.5 EE (12’s in Nike). After some sizing, found my best fit to be 11 EEE on the 65 last. I then went 1943 last (St John) and got the same 11 EEE. Thought it was a tad snug at the pinky, but as it broke in, fits nicely. Thought about returning it, but glad I stayed with 11 EEE. EE can be hard to come by FYI.
Thanks for the input, I will be moving back stateside at some point this year, may just fight the urge to order anything outside of the 65 last since I'm "ok" with the fit of 12.5's at the moment and wait until I can get measured at a store and try on different sizes

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How do you feel about spending money on non-essential goods during the Covid-19 crisis?

• I don't want to spend money at a time of economic uncertainty, even if I could afford it.

• I feel compelled to spend to help small businesses that are struggling.

• I reduced my budget for non-essential goods and I'm not spending at the moment.

• Not much has changed for me and I'm still buying stuff I can't afford.

Results are only viewable after voting.