• Welcome to our newest affiliate vendor, Passus Shoes. We are very happy to welcome our newest affiliate vendor, Passus Shoes. Passus shoes was founded by long term members of the forum and veterans of the shoes business. and is dedicated to crafting fine shoes in Budapest in a time honored tradition. Please help me give them a warm welcome in their new affiliate vendor thread.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2020 - News, Pictures, Clothing, Accessories, etc.

[email protected]

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That’s so cool. You added eyelets and stripped the black edging? I wonder how long it lasted. It’s clearly an old military officer style shoe.
Yup, I dress very casually (jeans, chinos) so I usually "dress down" my shoes that have blind eyes and black edge.

I love the military officer style. Here's some Alden I have in the same motif:

union_01.jpg

DWH

Reaction score
Yup, I dress very casually (jeans, chinos) so I usually "dress down" my shoes that have blind eyes and black edge.

I love the military officer style. Here's some Alden I have in the same motif:

View attachment 1341689
Very nice. These Fairgates have Alden-like welt stitch-per-inch count. Maybe that’s what AE does with JR soles. Or is it was AE used to do?

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Very nice. These Fairgates have Alden-like welt stitch-per-inch count. Maybe that’s what AE does with JR soles. Or is it was AE used to do?
You know that's an Alden right there right?

Yes, AE used to have higher SPI. They're higher on average than they were two years ago though, so there's definitely effort being given.

DWH

Reaction score
Gotcha. Yup. They used to do wheeling and stitching that on standard soles as well until... What? 2016 2017?
The dovetail heels were still just for shell and certain specials (like the Harry Rosen models) at that time though.
My Cornwallis from 2016 didn’t have wheeling. You must be right.

smfdoc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks, Doc! It’s such a sturdy shoe. Do you still have yours? Pics, please!
DWH: Here's mine. I also got them NOS. Great pattern, wish they'd bring it back but apparently AE hates 5 eyelet bluchers.

View attachment 1341612
Mine were used and an idiot cobbler “refinished” the uppers when he was not asked to do so. Then they stripped them again to make them better, but the finish was not the same. I also added eyelets and stripped the edges. I eventually sold them, like so many other shoes I went through between 2014 and 2017.

C4CAE880-D2C5-4B85-97D8-032C88F5EFFB.jpeg
AC92F13D-8F5C-4DAF-8201-CC44255EFE77.jpeg

Shoenut

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gotcha. Yup. They used to do wheeling and stitching that on standard soles as well until... What? 2016 2017?
The dovetail heels were still just for shell and certain specials (like the Harry Rosen models) at that time though.
My Cornwallis from 2016 didn’t have wheeling. You must be right.
I am in the minority but have never really cared much for wheeling and fudging. Always thought it made the shoes look cheap. Also, when I see reviews for different brands a lot of reviewers have some bias for deep outsole grooves as this is some signal for longevity. I would rather have more money going into the upper.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How do you feel about spending money on non-essential goods during the Covid-19 crisis?

• I don't want to spend money at a time of economic uncertainty, even if I could afford it.

• I feel compelled to spend to help small businesses that are struggling.

• I reduced my budget for non-essential goods and I'm not spending at the moment.

• Not much has changed for me and I'm still buying stuff I can't afford.

Results are only viewable after voting.