• CALLING ON HOME SEWERS TO HELP HEALTHCARE WORKERS FIGHTING COVID-19

The lack of proper masks, gowns, and eyewear equipment is making it difficult for health workers to do their work fighting the novel coronavirus. In a recent New York Times article, medical workers said they were worried about how they can both fight the coronavirus without imperiling themselves, as well as their loved ones when they go back home.

If you are a home sewer, please consider helping my joining Hickey Freman Technical Vice President Jeffery Diduch in his effort to produce and deliver homemade gowns and masks to medical professionals in the greater Rochester, New York Area. Read about how you can help here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2020 - News, Pictures, Clothing, Accessories, etc.

DawgPound

Reaction score
I’ve had good success using alcohol to remove finishing on a pair of black shell Alden boots, similar to what I just saw @audog post the other day on the Alden thread.

Honestly, I’m not familiar enough with what AE does to their shells (especially when there is burnishing involved) to fully recommend it, but at least I hope my suggestion gives you an idea of what shell can handle. I followed it with some good old Bick’in and Brushin’ and they came out even, smooth, and just a bit duller overall.
Last year, I picked up some used shell Leeds and the finish was flaking. Took some acetone to strip the finish off. Bick 4 and some VSC...I’m happy with how it came out.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I’ve had good success using alcohol to remove finishing on a pair of black shell Alden boots, similar to what I just saw @audog post the other day on the Alden thread.

Honestly, I’m not familiar enough with what AE does to their shells (especially when there is burnishing involved) to fully recommend it, but at least I hope my suggestion gives you an idea of what shell can handle. I followed it with some good old Bick’in and Brushin’ and they came out even, smooth, and just a bit duller overall.
Might try VSC as well, I've had good luck with it on all types of leather. I have found out (the hard way) that removing the Alden "whatever it is" coating, leaves the leather dull and now I am having to build up layers of stuff to get a high shine back, which will of course crack and cause white lines........It never ends......

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I didn't have the balls to attack a pair of Alden shell with acetone :)
Shell's pretty hardy, but as you say you do strip the glazing off. Until you've spent time it'll definitely look less glossy. I don't know that it is a bad thing!

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Shell's pretty hardy, but as you say you do strip the glazing off. Until you've spent time it'll definitely look less glossy. I don't know that it is a bad thing!
I used 70% isopropyl and it is more dull on the vamp (which is where the glazing was cracking) When my wife notices it and says "those look dull on the top (vamp)" I know I need to do something to restore some luster. Personally, I'm cool with it as I know that in 2,3,4 years it won't make a hill of beans difference...

Shoenut

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I didn't have the balls to attack a pair of Alden shell with acetone :)
Yeah cause that special plastic coating on a $800 pair is special.

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Just updated the suede show spreadsheet with my orders. Surprised to see that I'm the only one with Strands on there! Where all my Strand fanatics at?
Sorry! I was restricting purchases this year, and I was in greater need of Strandboots than Strandshoes. :( The snuff Strand was actually one I would have bought if I'd had room on my order for another pair!
Well, I did order a Strand, and arguably the most comfortable Strand of all time.
Olive?

EZB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just updated the suede show spreadsheet with my orders. Surprised to see that I'm the only one with Strands on there! Where all my Strand fanatics at?
Where is the link again? I always say that I am not a big Strand fan, yet I have 5 versions of it. It’s a great shoe, and it comes in the most variety and is always in every trunk show; however, I usually prefer wingtips if I can get them, and boots give me the best fit.

BFT9000

Reaction score
Sorry! I was restricting purchases this year, and I was in greater need of Strandboots than Strandshoes. :( The snuff Strand was actually one I would have bought if I'd had room on my order for another pair!

Olive?
Can't be mad at your impeccable taste for the Hamilton. I can't wait to see how it turns out in suede!

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

WHICH TYPE OF SNEAKERS WORK BEST ON A FIRST DATE?

• Classic Leather Low-Top

• Canvas Plimsoll

• Leather Slip-On

• Canvas Slip-On

• Athletic Kicks

• Leather High-Top

Results are only viewable after voting.