• CALLING ON HOME SEWERS TO HELP HEALTHCARE WORKERS FIGHTING COVID-19

The lack of proper masks, gowns, and eyewear equipment is making it difficult for health workers to do their work fighting the novel coronavirus. In a recent New York Times article, medical workers said they were worried about how they can both fight the coronavirus without imperiling themselves, as well as their loved ones when they go back home.

If you are a home sewer, please consider helping my joining Hickey Freman Technical Vice President Jeffery Diduch in his effort to produce and deliver homemade gowns and masks to medical professionals in the greater Rochester, New York Area. Read about how you can help here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2020 - News, Pictures, Clothing, Accessories, etc.

Shoenut

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I changed out to my Patriots today and am startled at just how close the two styles are.
6E6B3A4E-2631-44E8-B57F-41F6CBA4D4D9.jpeg
BA8E1687-B722-4DCF-B7C1-050E870CA5C9.jpeg

Patriot is worth every penny but I can see how the Wooster or Mercer would have an appeal to any guy

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
That's a good point, but to me it's moot, since the button boot is not a style that appeals to me.

And I thought Fitzpatrick only went up to D widths anyway (but I guess if you have a pair, that must not be the case)...
They only offer F widths (EE) via MTO... One pair is all you need in a collection, but they're fun to have.

smfdoc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

jch1

Reaction score
What would you all recommend to use to gently remove burnishing on Chili shell? Unfortunately, my Chili Dundees are closer to burgundy than I'd like. I tried a round of renovateur, and that did a pretty good job of removing a bit of burnishing, but now they are quite dull, almost like there's a film over them. I've only used renovateur and Bick 4 (previously) on the shoes.

Interestingly, the side panels are much lighter in shade, and they feel substantially smoother - they clearly didn't receive as much finishing. I'd be happy if I could replicate that on the toe box.

Attachments

EZB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

ELClodge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What would you all recommend to use to gently remove burnishing on Chili shell? Unfortunately, my Chili Dundees are closer to burgundy than I'd like. I tried a round of renovateur, and that did a pretty good job of removing a bit of burnishing, but now they are quite dull, almost like there's a film over them. I've only used renovateur and Bick 4 (previously) on the shoes.

Interestingly, the side panels are much lighter in shade, and they feel substantially smoother - they clearly didn't receive as much finishing. I'd be happy if I could replicate that on the toe box.
I’ve had good success using alcohol to remove finishing on a pair of black shell Alden boots, similar to what I just saw @audog post the other day on the Alden thread.

Honestly, I’m not familiar enough with what AE does to their shells (especially when there is burnishing involved) to fully recommend it, but at least I hope my suggestion gives you an idea of what shell can handle. I followed it with some good old Bick’in and Brushin’ and they came out even, smooth, and just a bit duller overall.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

WHICH TYPE OF SNEAKERS WORK BEST ON A FIRST DATE?

• Classic Leather Low-Top

• Canvas Plimsoll

• Leather Slip-On

• Canvas Slip-On

• Athletic Kicks

• Leather High-Top

Results are only viewable after voting.