• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread 2020 - News, Pictures, Clothing, Accessories, etc.

marker2037

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's natural (or buff depending on the day). Translucent brown is the middle brown, about the lightness of the chili/antique edge, but without the redder tones.
Mine were ordered buff, but they came out natural like yours (which means they are darker than raw looking leather...as confusing as that sounds!)

Buff is supposed to be the lightest, and not glossy. Natural is supposed to have clear dressing applied (which slightly darkens and adds gloss). There was a lot of confusion and honestly some mistakes in the finishing on this last round which only makes it harder to know exactly what you will end up with.
lol how terribly confusing....

Here's translucent brown edge on my navy macneils:
View attachment 1325842
This is exactly what I would want for a sand Mac if I do it.

marker2037

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We've actually moved to have four edge choices this time, and we're working on logistics right now for everyone. We're going to simplify the process and there will be examples of each in the sample lineup.
Any chance you can post examples here for those of us who cannot make it to an actual location?

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
When I wear my brown shell HMs (one of my favorite and most comfortable pairs), I'm always reminded of Boss Hoss @ae_ashley for getting me in on the GMTO even though I'd been stupid and passed on it until examples started showing up! I know we can get them now any day of the week (which is extremely awesome in itself), but the extra effort to pull it off plus the Indy lining and leather soles make these extra special.

EZB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can describe them to you as soon as we get it worked out and also take photos as soon as they land in stores on the 6th.
Please tell me one of them is invisible edge? I want to see the cork from the side! lol jk

Rithrin

Reaction score
Trying to narrow down myself to one, possibly two purchases for the suede TS. Is a Sand Leeds with buff a good staple shoe for summer, or am I envisioning it wrong in my head??

Bonobos yarn dye. I have a couple pairs and love them.
Thank you, I'll check them out!

Nothing like a shoe thread to get me jealous of pants, great combo!

These are translucent brown
View attachment 1325829
Would have never pegged that as "translucent" brown. Really explains the confusion from the shell TS. Would be nice if these were standardized somewhere on AE's site, especially if one wants to recreate the looks.

Bold stripes today for stepping outside my usual trad dress code.

IMG_20200127_190807.jpg

James1051

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Trying to narrow down myself to one, possibly two purchases for the suede TS. Is a Sand Leeds with buff a good staple shoe for summer, or am I envisioning it wrong in my head??
In my opinion, yes. That sand color definitely makes it a seasonal shoe, but it should work where a Dirty Buck works. Seersucker and the likes. If you like that Dirty Buck look you could even put red dainite on them.

I'm hoping to grab a Sand w buff Randolph--but that all hinges on being able to first stick my feet into a 13A Randolph to confirm fit. Not at all sure that will be possible. If the loafer idea fails, I may look at a Sand Leeds as well.

Nobleprofessor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am going to have AE do a recraft on a pair that needs new soles. Since, I’m bringing one pair, I was considering taking in a couple others for the refinishing service.

the description is pretty vague. It says:

“Highlight the enduring quality of Allen Edmonds leather and enhance its appearance with our refinishing package.”

I had a pair recrafted before and I was happy. But, is the refinishing service just a really good shine?
Does it really “refinish” them? Are they stripping off polish and dirt and putting a new finish on them?

woofmang

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am going to have AE do a recraft on a pair that needs new soles. Since, I’m bringing one pair, I was considering taking in a couple others for the refinishing service.

“Highlight the enduring quality of Allen Edmonds leather and enhance its appearance with our refinishing package.”

I had a pair recrafted before and I was happy. But, is the refinishing service just a really good shine?
Does it really “refinish” them? Are they stripping off polish and dirt and putting a new finish on them?
This sounds like a question for @ae_ashley...

Snobol323

Reaction score
Hi Gents - brown shell HM's for me today. If any of you were the one that sold them to me (12B) on the bay, thanks. These are on commando. I also have brown CXL HM's on Dainite, and while I'm not a Dainite hater, I have to say that the commando is way more flexible and comfy. In fact, I'm trying to justify keeping the CXL pair as I don't see reaching for them ahead of these...ever.

ProfilaBinding

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I think it depends on the leather. For casual models (like cxl), I'm not sure if they will refinish them. But for the formal shoes like the PA, they will definitely refinish them. I've sent shoes in before just to be refinished and they definitely clean off the old polish and add new finish.

Rithrin

Reaction score
In my opinion, yes. That sand color definitely makes it a seasonal shoe, but it should work where a Dirty Buck works. Seersucker and the likes. If you like that Dirty Buck look you could even put red dainite on them.

I'm hoping to grab a Sand w buff Randolph--but that all hinges on being able to first stick my feet into a 13A Randolph to confirm fit. Not at all sure that will be possible. If the loafer idea fails, I may look at a Sand Leeds as well.
Red dainite is not a bad idea at all.

I was contemplating a chocolate Randolph, but your Sand one sounds intriguing.

Any other stand-out must-haves from this offering? My list of notables that I'm considering is this:

• Sand Leeds + Buff Edge + Red Dainite
  • Snuff Liverpool + Brown Edge + Vtread
  • Loden Higgins Mill + Brown Edge + Commando
  • Sand Dundee + Buff Edge + Butyl
  • Navy Grayson + Buff Edge + Leather
  • Snuff (Chocolate?) Randolph + Brown + Leather

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How wide do you like your leg opening on your trousers?

• 7”

Votes: 76 16.9%
  • 7.5”

Votes: 149 33.2%
  • 8”

Votes: 133 29.6%
  • 8.5”

Votes: 50 11.1%
  • 9”

Votes: 20 4.5%
  • 9.5”

Votes: 9 2.0%