• Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snowmaker

Reaction score
Never been a huge fan of AE. Most of my collection is vintage like Florsheim and Dacks. Since working from home, I've been phasing out dress shoes and replacing with boots. Most of my boots are Red Wing, Chippewa, and Boulet style.

During the black Friday sale, I snagged 3 pairs of AE boots for 140 each. Shoe bank models - Stirling in tan, Hamiltons in black and cognac.

I ordered through the Charleston store. They inspected each pair, and advised of the minimal issues (some loose grains and inconsistent colours). I will be using these as indoor footwear for now.

Can't wait for these to arrive.

View attachment 1510720
Very nice! Seeing your post really makes me wish that AE had used the Stirling pattern when they reintroduced the Santa Mok

OldTown

Reaction score
Anyone have any guidance on how Higgins Mill fits compared to 65 last? I'd be wearing thicker socks with the boot but they only come in 6.5 E and I'm a 6.5 C or D in 65 last with dress socks.

DawgPound

Reaction score
Anyone have any guidance on how Higgins Mill fits compared to 65 last? I'd be wearing thicker socks with the boot but they only come in 6.5 E and I'm a 6.5 C or D in 65 last with dress socks.
I wear the same size in both. I find the Higgins Mill is slightly more roomy and I do just that, wear thicker socks. I could see someone going down one size in width, but I’m happy with it. 11 3E in both for me.

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I think you’ll need to wear pretty chunky boot socks for a 6.5E. Might work though.
I wear the same size in both. I find the Higgins Mill is slightly more roomy and I do just that, wear thicker socks. I could see someone going down one size in width, but I’m happy with it. 11 3E in both for me.
As you know, same sizing for me.

OldTown

Reaction score
I think you’ll need to wear pretty chunky boot socks for a 6.5E. Might work though.

As you know, same sizing for me.
Looks like no boots for me then. The only boots I want on the website only come in 6.5 E as the smallest size :(.

bluejazzmonkey

Reaction score
My 65 last vs my 1757 last. I wear a D in both, but wear a 1/2 down on my HM. I do have a an extremely high instep-- if that makes a damn bit of difference.

James1051

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hig is wider from the ankle forward than the 65; about the same from the ankle back to the heel. I take 65 and HM in the same size and width.Hig has way more room than I need up front for the toes, loads of wiggle room, but it doesn't really matter. With a boot, getting that heel width just right, to make a nice pocket that locks you in place, is key. Going width up in the HM is probably not going to work for you.You won't get that nice heel pocket you need to hold you in place as you stride.

EZB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gentlemen, I got carried away today and completely forgot that you should not sit Indian style on pavement. While this will be easy to fix with some Saphir creme, please learn from my mistake.

View attachment 1511023
Ouch... scrapes can be cured and add patina

Shoenut

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think the correct term is now "criss cross applesauce".
I wouldn’t even know what that meant. But just the other day my Native American friend actually used the term “off the reservation”. But in all fairness he said the sentence, “When I moved off the reservation, I had issues keeping my status in the nation”, but of course a younger person in the conversation took offense. Not sure how you would talk about moving off the reservation without using those words.

mreams99

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looks like no boots for me then. The only boots I want on the website only come in 6.5 E as the smallest size :(.
In my opinion, boots on the 511 last fit a little smaller than the 65 or 1757. You might be able to wear a size 7 in the 511.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

Work From Home: What's Your Attire?

• PJs & Slippers

• Cozy loungewear

• Casual outfit (wool cardigan, chinos, etc)

• Suit or sport coat and dress trousers

Results are only viewable after voting.