• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

NYCTechNerd

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
The Chanachukka ?

If it were a Hanukkah shoe (and I stand by my original comment that it is not), shouldn't it be called the Hanukkamok?

But I admit it is confusing because it has rough leather like a Strandmok but a flat welt like a Strand. Don't even get me started on the contrast stitching and the v-tread sole.

If Allen Edmonds really wants to make a Hanukkah ? shoe, then put a Star of David ✡ as the medallion.

Last edited:

EZB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Okay, so you helped answer some of my questions:
  • Jefferson is the 201/Independence version of McAllister (wing tip with medallion)
  • Bartlett is the 201/Independence version of the Strand (cap toe with medallion)
  • Hopkinson is the 201/Independence version of the Park Avenue (cap toe)

But still what about these?
  • Is the Hopkinson the 201 version of the Park Avenue?
  • Is the Bartlett the 201 version of the Strand?
  • Then what is the 201 version of the Fifth Avenue?
  • And why is the Neumok imported when all others are MUSA?
  • And why did they call it Neumok? Wouldn't McMok or Allistermok or even McAllistermok have been a better choice?

The answers just aren’t there

If it were a Hanukkah shoe (and I stand by my original comment that it is not), shouldn't it be called the Hanukkamok?

But I admit it is confusing because it has rough leather like a Strandmok but a flat welt like a Strand. Don't even get me started on the contrast stitching and the v-tread sole.

If Allen Edmonds really wants to make a Hanukkah ? shoe, then put a Star of David ✡ as the medallion.

No Star of David! Menorah medallion instead.

vdubiv

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Well I'm not Jewish, and I already have the jinglebellmok, so my Christmas shoe slot is covered. However I only own strandmoks and not strands, but I do really like the looks of this shoe, as a non-holiday shoe, and I'm probably going to order it, because all my shoes are on danite, so atleast this is v-tread and will hold up longer than just leather soles.

The real question is since this has a holiday name to it will this be a limited offering or will it be a new regularly available shoe?

OldTown

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Hopefully the Tinsel Ave is an annual release. If I hadn't just bought a pair of PA I'd be buying it this year. If it releases again next you I'll buy it.

HGerbracht

Reaction score
First off, welcome! Secondly, upon your mention of, "leaning more towards professional", my immediate thought was burgundy over oxblood but really depends on your overall look and color scheme and what you mean by what I quoted above. I myself own two pair in oxblood, Cavanaugh and MacNeil. The first is almost ruby red like Dorothy's slippers while the second is more toned down, but still, red. I guess I am equating "professional" with conservative but which for you may not be the case?

Thanks! By "leaning more towards professional", I meant that instead of chinos and a more casual button down, I often wear a suit, without the tie, and take the jacket off once in the office. So, suit trousers and a more formal button down (usually with the sleeves rolled up once in the office). I think you've hit the nail on the head with burgundy over oxblood, as my biggest drawback from pulling the trigger thus far has been the variety of oxbloods that I've seen -- ruby red all the way to dang near burgundy. I'd like something closer to the latter, but am currently priced out of the shell options. Is there a consensus on getting a ruby red oxblood and makeshifting it into something close to burgundy with brown/navy/black cream?

I mean, an Oxblood McCallister would seem to fill a hole for you in terms of both color and style and they are on sale so . . . .
Of course you have like the color and style. You have 4 shoes, all cap toe shoes--do you like wingtips? What about a plain-toe shoe?

This is a fair assessment, and something I've only just recently noticed myself. When starting my collection, I was more focused on building a variety of colors and the "formality" of oxford v. non-oxford. I think more broguing is certainly next, but hadn't given too much thought over Strand v. McCallister. Any opinion on the difference in oxblood colors between the two (or, is it less model-specific and more year-specific)?

Welcome! Seems you've got enough cap-toes for a bit, so a wingtip would be a nice for a change of pace. Business casual leaning towards professional might suggest something closer to brown than red; maybe burgundy for a bit of both. (Love the avatar! ;))

Thank you! I agree, and if I can't break into shell just yet / find a darker oxblood option, perhaps I should just pick a different brown. Maybe Cigar or something. Avatar is our Covid pup, Josie. You've got a good looking pup yourself!

EZB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well I'm not Jewish, and I already have the jinglebellmok, so my Christmas shoe slot is covered. However I only own strandmoks and not strands, but I do really like the looks of this shoe, as a non-holiday shoe, and I'm probably going to order it, because all my shoes are on danite, so atleast this is v-tread and will hold up longer than just leather soles.

The real question is since this has a holiday name to it will this be a limited offering or will it be a new regularly available shoe?

It will almost certainly be limited. When I go to the ordering page, it says that it needs to be crafted and has a 3-week delay. I don't think they are making these except during this time and only making them for those who order (basically MTO). I feel like I have to order it because I have no pebble grain shoes, love blue shoes, fit the strand well, love the blue with white sitching, and it HAS VTREAD! That last one is the clincher I think. The holiday shoes on leather are an immediate turn off to me. I have to put taps on them, which increases the cost and effort to me. Dainite is ok, but v tread is perfect.

BFT9000

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anybody up for a little SAT/Word-Play this morning?

If Strand (finished leather, flat welt, toe cap with medallion, 65, MUSA) is to Strandmok (rough leather or suede, split reverse welt, toe cap with medallion, 65, MUSA),

And if McAllister (finished leather, flat welt, wing tip with medallion, 65, MUSA) is to Neumok (rough leather or suede, split reverse welt, wing tip with medallion, 65, Imported),

What is the McTavish (finished leather or rough leather or suede, split reverse welt, wing tip with medallion, 201, MUSA)? Is the McTavish the 201 version of both the McAllister and Neumok?

To further confuse matters:
  • And why did they call it Neumok? Wouldn't McMok or Allistermok or even McAllistermok have been a better choice?

*** I am sick in bed, thankfully not C19, cold medicine is making me a little woozy, and apparently that has made me hyper focus on shoes and SF posts yesterday and today ***

Really the only difference between the Strand and the Strandmok is that one has a flat welt, the other has a split reverse welt. It used to be that one was fully lined, and the other was partially or fully unlined, but in these past two years Strandmoks have all been fully lined with few exceptions.

Historically speaking, one of the first Strands ever was in tan pin grain (released 1983, 30 years before the Strandmok was even a thing). And the Strand was first released in suede a year or two before the Strandmoks were first sold.

mreams99

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anybody up for a little SAT/Word-Play this morning?

If Strand (finished leather, flat welt, toe cap with medallion, 65, MUSA) is to Strandmok (rough leather or suede, split reverse welt, toe cap with medallion, 65, MUSA),

And if McAllister (finished leather, flat welt, wing tip with medallion, 65, MUSA) is to Neumok (rough leather or suede, split reverse welt, wing tip with medallion, 65, Imported),

What is the McTavish (finished leather or rough leather or suede, split reverse welt, wing tip with medallion, 201, MUSA)? Is the McTavish the 201 version of both the McAllister and Neumok?

To further confuse matters:

*** I am sick in bed, thankfully not C19, cold medicine is making me a little woozy, and apparently that has made me hyper focus on shoes and SF posts yesterday and today ***
Why is it called the Neumok?

Here is what I think:
The AE FACTORY built an unlined chukka as an idea. It was said that they “ran amok” in building this without direction to do so. The model was approved and the name “Amok” was then used for this chukka.
AE designers then designed a casual unlined version of the McAllister. I suspect that this new unlined model was given the name “Neumok” as a reference to it being a “new mok.”

NYCTechNerd

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

Here is what I think:
The AE FACTORY built an unlined chukka as an idea. It was said that they “ran amok” in building this without direction to do so. The model was approved and the name “Amok” was then used for this chukka.

AE designers then designed a casual unlined version of the McAllister. I suspect that this new unlined model was given the name “Neumok” as a reference to it being a “new mok.”

I still think it should be renamed McMok or Allistermok or even McAllistermok but that's because I like things to be orderly and make sense.

FatTuesday

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Here is what I think:
Makes perfect sense to me.

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Sorry for the extra post on this, but I feel the real question got lost in my long winded other post

Can anyone comment if these extra stitching holes affect the structural integrity of the shoes?

These are Williamsburg’s and it’s hardly noticeable from anything more than 2-3ft away. Looks like whoever was making them forgot to take the turn and backed up quick to fix

View attachment 1508694
Are these firsts or seconds? The holes themselves aren't going to affect the integrity of the leather itself as evidenced that there's other holes elsewhere in leather shoes, unless under there there's a bunch of needle holes right next to each other. That could lead to a weakened panel, just like multiple restitches on a welt.

EZB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are these firsts or seconds? The holes themselves aren't going to affect the integrity of the leather itself as evidenced that there's other holes elsewhere in leather shoes, unless under there there's a bunch of needle holes right next to each other. That could lead to a weakened panel, just like multiple restitches on a welt.
I would send this back because I don't trust the stitching to hold.

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score
I would send this back because I don't trust the stitching to hold.

I actually think the restitch should hold as well as if it was the original line of stitches. Although, if the seam fails then you would most likely have a 3rd set of holes, which could be an issue. On the other hand, a future repair would also stitch through the lining so it's probably fine. I don't think it's that big of a deal, overall, but if they are 1st quality then I'd exchange them if they were my shoes.

EZB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I actually think the restitch should hold as well as if it was the original line of stitches. Although, if the seam fails then you would most likely have a 3rd set of holes, which could be an issue. On the other hand, a future repair would also stitch through the lining so it's probably fine. I don't think it's that big of a deal, overall, but if they are 1st quality then I'd exchange them if they were my shoes.
It looks like they missed some of the stitches though

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads