• Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Status
Not open for further replies.

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Would anyone, with more knowledge on sizing than me, explain the difference between a 9.5E and 10D on the 511 Last (i.e. Leeds, Wilbert)? I straddle the line between 9.5E and 10D on the 65 last and ultimately go with the 9.5E because I need the width more than the length but not sure how it translates to the 511 which is already a wide last.
The 511 runs shorter than the 65, so some men will benefit from 1/2 size up. I would start with 10 D, but you say those are too wide. 9.5 E is likely not going to improve that issue, as it will be wider. However, the overall volume in the toe area would be less above the toes. 9.5 E and 10 D use the same volume, but it's distributed differently if that makes sense. The other possibility is that the 511 might not fit you all that well. It's not the best last for me.
I see what you did there. Think highly of yourself, don't you!
To further expand, the 9.5E and 10D are considered sister sizes and some people consider them interchangeable. I do not; they each have their place for different foot shapes.

I always like to post Neo's thread, even though in this case not much more info is provided than from Lobster and Chuckles.

I agree with the recommendation to start with 10D. I wear 11.5EE in 511, 11EEE in 65. I wouldn't call it wide per se, but a bit less tapered and a bit wider than the 65 for sure. I assume you don't have excessive V gap or lack there of at 9.5E on 65? Since you say the 10D as gotten too wide, it might be worth a 9.5D in the 511 to see where that lands you. I think the 9.5E in 511 will be too much from the start.

In case I haven't posted this lately as well, going up a length adds half a width worth of volume: a 10D is about the same as a 9.5D-and-a-half and a 10D is roughly the same circumference as a 9E. Generally, you can assume that a letter size adds 3/16 inch to the total circumference, which equates to about 1/16 inch in actual foot bed width increase at heel and ball, give or take. I think each half length adds an 1/8 inch approx...

Vincent George

Reaction score
Rainy, cold day here today, been watching home renovation shows on TV, I don't know the name of one of them, but one of the workmen was wearing Indy boots. I realized I have a problem when I notice the footwear of people on TV shows :)
@audog is being humble. He could tell us what LACES were in the guy’s boots.

mreams99

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’ve seen several pairs of the Jingle Bell Moks and Santa Moks. And as someone pointed out, they are unlined. They have a single leather (butyl) sole. They are not exactly what I would spec for a full-price winter season shoe. When those were originally available a few years back, they were sold at a special (lower) price. As neat as they are, it’s hard for me to justify that price for a novelty shoe.

I have a pair of the Neumoks in the acorn hillfire leather. They have had a fair amount of wear but are not worn out. I was planning to sell them. Given the size 13B, there is not a huge market, so I would not get much by selling them.

This afternoon I had an idea. I’ve already got red and green leather dyes. (Who doesn’t?) Should I just Jingle-ize my existing Neumoks?

NYCTechNerd

Reaction score

FatTuesday

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’ve seen several pairs of the Jingle Bell Moks and Santa Moks. And as someone pointed out, they are unlined. They have a single leather (butyl) sole. They are not exactly what I would spec for a full-price winter season shoe. When those were originally available a few years back, they were sold at a special (lower) price. As neat as they are, it’s hard for me to justify that price for a novelty shoe.

I have a pair of the Neumoks in the acorn hillfire leather. They have had a fair amount of wear but are not worn out. I was planning to sell them. Given the size 13B, there is not a huge market, so I would not get much by selling them.

This afternoon I had an idea. I’ve already got red and green leather dyes. (Who doesn’t?) Should I just Jingle-ize my existing Neumoks?
Heckers Yes!

Shoenut

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think he is placing innuendo where it does not belong and what I tried to avoid in my post as well. Now that I read my post again, one could read into it as well. Thankfully, IRL I have more than enough width and length.
Don’t know what you guys are talking about so I asked my wife. She said “don’t worry, I am happy with you”.

Shoenut

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Pluripotent

Reaction score
Is it possible to find lasts for the AE shoes in ones collection? Or any brand lasts?

EZB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is it possible to find lasts for the AE shoes in ones collection? Or any brand lasts?
You mean find out which last a shoe was made on?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

Work From Home: What's Your Attire?

• PJs & Slippers

• Cozy loungewear

• Casual outfit (wool cardigan, chinos, etc)

• Suit or sport coat and dress trousers

Results are only viewable after voting.