• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vincent George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What sparked my morning ejection was a new member was posting his first AE purchase yesterday and they pretty much racked him over the coals for accepting such a horrible shoe. He posted this morning that he thought he was on the AE enthusiasts page. I was tired of their attitude and the constant crying about not posting anything political. So I crafted a post with two things they actually did and quality comment and within minutes, Mission Accomplished.
This is why I stay away from Reddit Goodyearwelt, too.

Rithrin

Reaction score
The whole post rubs me the wrong way. Steve is a moderator on a page that prides itself on being gentlemen, yet he is quite arrogant and calls people idiots. He is not the only person who has skills when it comes to working with shoes. Just the other day he referred to an AE employee who may have been drunk because a sole was off center. He thinks he is funny but for someone who is moderating a thread it just is incredible. When you are leading a forum your words matter.
I saw this earlier as well. For what it's worth, I took it a bit differently. I don't think his issue was with lack of knowledge but rather that some customer(s) seemed to be belligerently ignorant and making accusations that were unfounded. Should he have posted about it this way publicly? eh, perhaps not but I can understand the occasional frustration dealing with a difficult customer. I'm fortunate enough to live close enough to an excellent cobbler so I have not yet had an occasion to send any shoes to Steve but I would not hesitate to do so.
Got kicked off the AE Enthusiasts page today. Boy that was easy. Just had to suggest that the way they manage the page is much more inconsistent than AE’s quality ever was.
It irritates me that one of the group administrators is a regular complainer of AE quality. He regularly agrees with nitpickers who have a Dainite sole that isn’t perfectly centered.
What sparked my morning ejection was a new member was posting his first AE purchase yesterday and they pretty much racked him over the coals for accepting such a horrible shoe. He posted this morning that he thought he was on the AE enthusiasts page. I was tired of their attitude and the constant crying about not posting anything political. So I crafted a post with two things they actually did and quality comment and within minutes, Mission Accomplished.

Hopefully this post doesn't violate any SF rules, but it seems appropriate.

1606070258697.png

I like the enthusiasts page on FB, but generally I'm ignoring 80% of the posts. It's just nice to see what everyone is wearing and sometimes I post my own photos. As long as you don't start talking about shoe construction quality, and you ignore those who do, it's great.

EZB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Our office has always been business casual and basically that meant to cover your tattoos. Lol. Oh, the other rule. No pajamas.
We’ve been working from home since spring. At the time that started, I predicted that we would be back by August 1.
I missed that by a mile.

We still see each other very often via video meetings. I have been surprised to see that I’m pretty much the only one wearing a shirt with a collar every day. There are a lot of t-shirts being worn.

I think it’s still important to look professional. Even if nobody sees you that day, it puts you in a “professional work” attitude. The only change that I made was after a few weeks of working from home I transitioned to wearing mostly denim instead of chinos.

We have been at home since March 1 or so. I see team members on video, but I live 2500 miles away from the rest of the team. We have no dress codes. Even pijamas are ok. It is totally normal to see a VP walking around in shorts or jeans and a t shirt, and you know he makes 7 figures

btw, I love the shine on those! How do you rate the leather. It feels full grain, but smoothed

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
We have been at home since March 1 or so. I see team members on video, but I live 2500 miles away from the rest of the team. We have no dress codes. Even pijamas are ok. It is totally normal to see a VP walking around in shorts or jeans and a t shirt, and you know he makes 7 figures

btw, I love the shine on those! How do you rate the leather. It feels full grain, but smoothed
It looks like a pretty decent calf to me. The open pores can be seen. It is soft and supple. I do think the entire industry is playing it a bit loosy goosy with the term calfskin. Where is all the kip skin these days. I really wonder about my Cigar Leeds. The leather is quite thick. The sneaker leather is a bit better than my Leeds. Seems to be more calfskin being sold than what is actually produced.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I don't visit the FB page, but the sad thing is this: New guy buys his first pair of AE, which I have a feeling he was pretty proud of, so posted a pix. The decent thing to do, would be to say something along the lines of "Welcome to the community"

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Pleather?
No, just skins that are older than calf. Used to be only a few days and that slid to a few weeks. Now it seems anything less than 400 pounds can be called calf. Ever notice how large some of the AE calf is? The calf hides are getting bigger.

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
No, just skins that are older than calf. Used to be only a few days and that slid to a few weeks. Now it seems anything less than 400 pounds can be called calf. Ever notice how large some of the AE calf is? The calf hides are getting bigger.
It was meant as a joke. I do agree with you on this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads