• Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Please visit ou very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are posted, including the latest, updated, very comprehensive, Styleforum Black Friday Sales List

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Count de Monet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys. I'm new here and want some advice. I've never owned a pair of shoes from Barker but heard they are quite good. I recently visited their website and I kinda like these two styles (Added below). I'm really confused about which one I should buy. Is there anyone who got these styles? or maybe knows about Barker? any help would be appreciated.

McClean: https://www.barkershoes.com/products/mcclean-cedar-calf-blue-suede
View attachment 1485269

and

Valiant: https://www.barkershoes.com/products/valiant-multi-teak-ebony-hand-painted

View attachment 1485268
I’m afraid all I know of Barker is that at least some of their shoes are made in Northampton, UK and some are Goodyear welted. I’d make sure that was true of those models, too.

As far as style, they are both spectators and oxfords. Like the AE Heritage and other discontinued models. To me it is a spring summer shoe for spring summer suits or tailored dress pants of similar materials. And they stick out. If you wear them frequently people will say “there’s Fred and those odd shoes again.”

Point being, they are of limited use and versitility. But, if you have your basics covered already a spectator is a fun shoe to have.

Id say the two tone tan is slightly more conservative, a very relative term when speaking of spectators.

good luck!

Lionel Hutz

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Stupid question, perhaps, but if I call a store to order a shoe from an SA does the SA get credit for a sale? Nothing special, just thinking of getting s Strandmok.
In light of recent discussion on this board the idea of having a relationship with a good SA seems very appealing (and why not help out an SA if I can?) but I live 2 hours away from the nearest AE store.
Yes they get credit and can ship it to your house just like an online purchase

bluejazzmonkey

Reaction score
I am trying to determine if these new F1 coffee Strands spark joy?

- Do I like them because I only paid $149.98 during the RDA + 25% extra off by purchasing though an outlet?
- Do I not like them because my wife says they are a boring color?

View attachment 1485272

For those who do not get the spark joy reference
Your Queen is correct. They are extremely boring, but I love them and almost ordered a pair.

EZB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
65-lasted boots on chili shell? Always!
E0709E45-3A5D-4025-BFB2-D6478E71F181.jpeg

Vincent George

Reaction score

- Do I like them because I only paid $149.98 during the RDA + 25% extra off by purchasing though an outlet?

View attachment 1485272

That Marie Kondo is a real piece of work. Throw out ALL of your stuff and buy MUGS AND BOWLS on my website instead.

savvysartorial

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Whiskey Leydon; a wonderful dress loafer.

PXL_20201027_134429917.jpg
PXL_20201027_134650356.jpg

smfdoc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How do you know 87 vs 77. The best I can figure on my pair is the year ended with a 7. My V cleat is not flush with the heel.
Well, it is difficult to determine if the shoe is 87 or 77. The date code indicates it ends with a 7 and those are the only two options.

Lionel Hutz

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

View attachment 1485272

Amazing price but not an outstanding shoe. It is easy to fall into this trap with AE because their pricing strategy encourages you to chase deals. At $120 or whatever you paid it would be easy to rationalize keeping them but because you have said you live in a small place in NYC and space is at a premium I'd return them (you could also probably sell for a profit on ebay) and use that space for something that you really love to wear.

NYCTechNerd

Reaction score
Why all the dislike (or outright hate) for the Wilbert?
(I really want to know why others are so against them.)
  • Is it the Poron insert?
  • Is it the Othello sole?
  • Is it that they are now made in the DR (mine are both MUSA)?

As a life long urbanite, my wife and I usually go out for many hours on Saturdays/Sundays including walking several miles, especially now that we do not want to use public transportation, and these are very comfortable shoes. Many of my dress and casual shoes are comfortable but not something I would want to walk in for several miles/hours. The alternative is an Allbird (or sneaker) which I often find too casual to wear. The Wilbert pairs well with jeans and chinos so why all the negativity about them?

Let me have your honest opinions, I can take it!

(and yes, the left pair are more reddish than others because I use Saphir Cognac cream polish on them)

IMG_2331.jpg

Last edited:

bluejazzmonkey

Reaction score

As a life long urbanite, my wife and I usually go out for many hours on Saturdays/Sundays including walking several miles, especially now that we do not want to use public transportation, and these are very comfortable shoes. Many of my dress and casual shoes are comfortable but not something I would want to walk in for several miles/hours. The alternative is an Allbird (or sneaker) which I often find too casual to wear. The Wilbert pairs well with jeans and chinos so why all the negativity about them?

(and yes, the left pair are more reddish than others because I use Saphir Cognac cream polish on them)

View attachment 1485326
They are nice shoes, but they look like "old man" shoes. I'm not ready to be an old man.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

View attachment 1485326
Well, I'm an old man, and they do look a bit like old man shoes. Which is not a bad thing. My only thing with Wilberts is that the apron extends too close to the toe, and the vertical seam seems short. But if you love 'em..wear 'em.

EZB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Several guys picked up the Ham in chili shell. They are magnificent.
It was between the PA sneaker, Hamilton, and McAllister for me. I chose the sneaker! The Hamilton is amazing, but for some reason I prefer the 5S

Count de Monet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

View attachment 1485326
I am an unabashed fan of the Wilbert. I have the lighter brown.

The leather is thick and supple and seemingly impervious to the elements. The Othello is more comfortable than Dainite.

As for looks, I think they are fine. Actually, better than fine. IDGAF if some think they are “old mannish” just as I’m sure others here DGAF about wearing dress oxfords with blue jeans.:hide: There, I said it.:-D

EZB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I missed these shoes. They missed me, too, and showed it with the bloom. I’m not a big fan of how burgundy shell starts out. It’s just too dark. But you need to wear it. It develops so much variation that you should never underestimate burgundy
B574A647-1170-48D4-9F48-E6496E901AEC.jpeg

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

Most Interesting Fashion Collaboration of 2020

• JW Anderson x Uniqlo

• Nigo x Virgil Abloh

• Converse x Midnight Studios

• Rick Owens x Champion

• Barbour x Engineered Garments

• Adidas x Bed JW Ford

• Jordan Brand x Dior

• Billie Eilish x Takashi Murakami