• Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Please visit ou very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are posted, including the latest, updated, very comprehensive, Styleforum Black Friday Sales List

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Jimmy R

Reaction score
Sounds like the throat is too tall for your foot. Does the shoe fit correctly elsewhere? Being 65 lasted shoes you mention makes it harder, and I would really consider if the shoes are ideally sized. I had that issue with the 201 last, and just flexing the side of the throat where it made contact allowed it to lay down enough to not be painful. The rest of the shoe was a compromise fit, so I no longer have any 201 lasted shoes. You could put an insert in (at least at the heel) to raise your foot up a bit if you are sure you have best fit elsewhere in the shoe.
I think the throat actually became too tall, because I remember them fitting great when I bought them last year. They fit very well elsewhere too, which makes the predicament all the more frustrating. I think that the shoe trees also play a role in pulling the sides inward after they've been flexed out.

Hisheirness23

Reaction score
Thoughts on the weatherproof offerings from AE? Would like to know if those are worth the purchase or if I can use calf skin or shell in the elements? I won't be drudging through rain or snow, but if I have to walk around in the rain, will the investment in the weatherproof model be worth it? I have read mixed reviews with shell handling rain.

OldTown

Reaction score
Thoughts on the weatherproof offerings from AE? Would like to know if those are worth the purchase or if I can use calf skin or shell in the elements? I won't be drudging through rain or snow, but if I have to walk around in the rain, will the investment in the weatherproof model be worth it? I have read mixed reviews with shell handling rain.
Just make sure to use wax.

Count de Monet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Back in the day shell was mostly used on workboots and "country" shoes so if they saw some water and developed welts/bumps, etc. (sometimes they go away and sometimes not) it was no big deal. If my Wolverines Ashley found for me get wet, no big deal.

Over time, folks started doing dress shoes in shell so folks are understandably reluctant to take the risk.

If uber casual, something like a boot in Dublin or CXL is good, at least for me. Ditto a grain leather.

If dressy, I have an old pair of black shell Alden punchcaps I'm trying to kill but they won't die so they are my suit rain shoe.

I would not put a waterproofing agent on any good calf dress shoe. I don't trust the stuff long term.

Lionel Hutz

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Whelp I picked up a pair of chili shell Landon on double JR ... and the same scarf @sterlingindigo posted (because even though I don't wear scarfs I am highly vulnerable being weaseled)

this will be my second pair of Landons so I sure hope they fit.

Also my navy shell strands from the TS were waiting at the store, so that was nice. I've purchased navy, chili and #8 strands so far this year ... but I think @BFT9000 is safe for now because I think I'm done until I can buy natty

Last edited:

sterlingindigo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Whelp I picked up a pair of chili shell Landon on double JR ... and the same scarf @sterlingindigo posted.

Also my navy shell strands from the TS were waiting at the store, so that was nice. I've purchased navy, chili and #8 strands so far this year ... but I think @BFT9000 is safe for now because I think I'm done until I can buy natty
Enjoy the scarf and wear it in good health! Those Landon’s will take care of you for a long time coming.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have the Alpine cap toe boots, which are "waterproof", they do keep out snow and rain, but the leather is rather "wimpy" feeling. The Arctic lug sole is to die for in winter however. ONE CAN NOT SLIP, the colder it gets, the more the sole grips. I don't find them particularly warm boots in winter, would be better if shearling lined, but the grip makes it all worth while. Oh and the feet do stay dry so the waterproof membrane must work. Unless you go in over the ankle puddles, then all bets are off.

BFT9000

Reaction score
Whelp I picked up a pair of chili shell Landon on double JR ... and the same scarf @sterlingindigo posted.

No bourbon or green?? Not even brown!?

Lionel Hutz

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
No bourbon or green?? Not even brown!?
I own two pair of brown shell already (and Bartlett in walnut). I'm just not a fan of bourbon. Sometimes I think it looks great but I often think it has a yellowish tint. Maybe I'll get green someday and I will certainly buy natty if it is ever available again

do I own more brown shell strands than you? Does that bother you?

Last edited:

Jimmy R

Reaction score
I own two pair of brown shell already (and hopkinson in walnut). I'm just not a fan of bourbon. Sometimes I think it looks great but I often think it has a yellowish tint. Maybe I'll get green someday and I will certainly buy natty if it is ever available again

do I own more brown shell strands than you? Does that bother you?
Every time I read your posts, I hear them in Lionel Hutz's voice.

FatTuesday

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Tale of 3 Dundees...
I cleaned & brushed my Chili shell Dundees tonight for duty tomorrow. I find myself wearing these pretty regularly. Anyway, I pulled my Natty shell Dundees and my Burgundy shell pair for comparison photos.

Photos in shade
20201026_173116.jpg

Natty (l), Chili (m) & Burgundy (r).
20201026_173128.jpg

Natty & chili (Eastports down below)

Photos in filtered daylight
20201026_173230.jpg

20201026_173234.jpg

20201026_173242.jpg

Chili (l) & Natty (r)

The Natty has darkened significantly over the years. And the Burgundy has lightened.
20190131_051452.jpg

I think this exercise proves that all shell colors migrate toward a medium tone over time.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

Most Interesting Fashion Collaboration of 2020

• JW Anderson x Uniqlo

• Nigo x Virgil Abloh

• Converse x Midnight Studios

• Rick Owens x Champion

• Barbour x Engineered Garments

• Adidas x Bed JW Ford

• Jordan Brand x Dior

• Billie Eilish x Takashi Murakami

• Lego x Levi's