• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

pedarius

Reaction score
1E862702-30E0-414A-ABD1-C16CCD12A68C.jpeg

Rainy day Hamiltons

EZB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
should I buy #8 landon or chili Landon?

View attachment 1484760

I already have HM in both colors and my #8 HM are pretty casual with the natural welt but I am leaning towards chili landon.

Burgundy and Chili are really interesting to decide between. Chili is a lot more brown and red and should go more casually.

woofmang

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Speaking of black shoes (I know; late to the party), I decided to feature the Hopkinsons today:

20201026_hopkinsons.jpg

I started out wearing a different pair of shoes, but I'd forgotten the first rule of the true shoe-hound; the outfit should match the shoes, not the other way around. The shoes I had on were all wrong for the outfit I chose (grey flannel and OCBD), and rather than start over, I thought it'd be easier to just change the shoes to match the outfit. So I did.

Jimmy R

Reaction score
I’ve been wearing my Daltons, Williamsburgs, and Hamiltons pretty frequently over the past couple of weeks and I am fearing that my brogues (McAllisters, Strands, and Fifth Aves) will stop getting worn.

My boots are just more comfortable, and I think I know why. As the heel of my foot has molded the beds, I think my heel has sunk down a little which has allowed for my ankle bone to rub against the sides. Any suggestions? I’m thinking about putting some renovateur on the areas that are rubbing to try to soften them up, but I’m not hopeful it will really accomplish anything. I also got some wool socks from AE that are thicker than the wool ones I have from Brooks Brothers, but the difference isn’t that noticeable.

Bump!

savvysartorial

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cold and rainy, but it's the first day in the new role so all is good!

PXL_20201026_133555269.jpg
PXL_20201026_131938346.jpg

savvysartorial

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Congrats! And if I recall correctly, this co. you joined not too long ago?

Thank you! Yes it was! Late last year and got out of training in March. Really been a good time so far.

Nice new profile picture by the way :)

Dark chocolate Higgies
View attachment 1482761
I don’t wear them with suits or tailored trousers, but love them with 5 pocket cords and denim.

Those are beautiful. I love, love brown shell and with this boot it just knocks it out of the park.

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Sounds like the throat is too tall for your foot. Does the shoe fit correctly elsewhere? Being 65 lasted shoes you mention makes it harder, and I would really consider if the shoes are ideally sized. I had that issue with the 201 last, and just flexing the side of the throat where it made contact allowed it to lay down enough to not be painful. The rest of the shoe was a compromise fit, so I no longer have any 201 lasted shoes. You could put an insert in (at least at the heel) to raise your foot up a bit if you are sure you have best fit elsewhere in the shoe.

donkeyhoatie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Mid-30s and snowing in my neck of the woods. Felt like an appropriate day for shell HMs and cheapo Costco fleece-lined jeans that I'm too lazy to get hemmed for a more proper fit, since I'm the furnace police at our house and it doesn't get turned on until it gets tuned up (this Friday!).

Hadn't worn the burgundy shell HMs in about 10 days or so. Here's the amount of bloom I usually get on them during their time hanging out in the closet.

IMG_4283.jpg

Here they are standing in the melted remnants of our first snowfall this season. Haunted by the memory of what once seemed pure and magical, yet also entirely inappropriate for the calendar. Fortunately, the garage/workshop has a separate heating system, so I can crank that mofo up tonight and do some work out there while I listen to the Bears (hopefully) take one away from the Rams.

IMG_4285.jpg

Nobleprofessor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here is one you don’t see everyday (which is ironic considering the name):

These are vintage AE “Tom, Dick, and Harry.”

I bought them from a great eBay seller who is also one of our members.

Someone else on the vintage dress shoe thread found an old AE Catalog that showed the age.

They are in exceptional condition. They appear to have been worn once or twice. Unfortunately for me, they are too long and wide for me now. They are 11.5D if anyone is interested.

FC21B8EE-3F7C-4B58-8A12-8AF745129ADC.jpeg
F6AA10E9-0C79-49FB-8D95-971C6B6DE1BA.jpeg
2A0400A6-D0D7-4ECB-9DAF-3720C8438096.jpeg
5B60DB86-A9C5-4F38-9996-58A7C8B69CDF.jpeg

MajorDash

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here is one you don’t see everyday (which is ironic considering the name):

These are vintage AE “Tom, Dick, and Harry.”

I bought them from a great eBay seller who is also one of our members.

Someone else on the vintage dress shoe thread found an old AE Catalog that showed the age.

They are in exceptional condition. They appear to have been worn once or twice. Unfortunately for me, they are too long and wide for me now. They are 11.5D if anyone is interested.

View attachment 1484928 View attachment 1484929 View attachment 1484930 View attachment 1484931

Ok, I see the Dick on the shoes, but where is the Tom or Harry?

Reactions: EZB

Jimmy R

Reaction score
Sounds like the throat is too tall for your foot. Does the shoe fit correctly elsewhere? Being 65 lasted shoes you mention makes it harder, and I would really consider if the shoes are ideally sized. I had that issue with the 201 last, and just flexing the side of the throat where it made contact allowed it to lay down enough to not be painful. The rest of the shoe was a compromise fit, so I no longer have any 201 lasted shoes. You could put an insert in (at least at the heel) to raise your foot up a bit if you are sure you have best fit elsewhere in the shoe.

I think the throat actually became too tall, because I remember them fitting great when I bought them last year. They fit very well elsewhere too, which makes the predicament all the more frustrating. I think that the shoe trees also play a role in pulling the sides inward after they've been flexed out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics