• Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Please visit ou very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are posted, including the latest, updated, very comprehensive, Styleforum Black Friday Sales List

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

JFWR

Reaction score
To be fair, it's not a simple calculus. There should have been (and could have been... in fact, there still should be) national standards dictating requirements for opening public places including stores. In the absence of that guidance, every municipality and state had to figure it out independently with highly divergent outcomes. In the case of walmart vs. local apparel store, it's not too difficult to see how they are distinguished and I do understand why there was differentiation in this regard. I tend to doubt that there was a political motivation behind it but rather that stores like walmart offer such diverse products with deep supply chains that it wasn't difficult to see that they offered an important channel for the general public. It's hard to make a case, objectively, for a local specialty apparel store offering an important public need in a crisis. I realize that isn't a popular sentiment or, frankly, a desirable outcome in the long term... but I do get it and I don't hold that against my state's decision makers considering the circumstances.
Well argued points; however, as a point of law, the federal government has no authority to dictate business policy that doesn't apply to interstate commerce. States have always had quarantine and other health powers. In fact, such quarantine would be illegal if done by a federal actor.

Wal-Mart's essential status likely only piggy backed off them being a grocery store. That they were able to sell the rest was ridiculous given no other stores were allowed to sell the same merchandise.

JFWR

Reaction score
I don’t want to go OT but that isn’t how our constitutional system is structured. As the ABA has correctly explained:

Under the U.S. Constitution’s 10th Amendment and U.S. Supreme Court decisions over nearly 200 years, state governments have the primary authority to control the spread of dangerous diseases within their jurisdictions. The 10th Amendment, which gives states all powers not specifically given to the federal government, allows them the authority to take public health emergency actions, such as setting quarantines and business restrictions.

This is why Biden quickly reversed his national mask proposal (stating that the proposal was unconstitutional), there is no legal authority for such actions at the federal level
Exactly correct. Great post.

It's unfortunate how chaotic this has been, though.

OldTown

Reaction score
I am not worried about the govt forcing masks now. I am worried about after things start to calm down how long until the govt stops forcing masks under the argument that if we stop wearing them, things will just get worse again. Once someone or some thing has power it generally never relinquishes it.

JFWR

Reaction score
I am not worried about the govt forcing masks now. I am worried about after things start to calm down how long until the govt stops forcing masks under the argument that if we stop wearing them things will just get worse again. Once someone or some thing has power it generally never relinquishes it.
Agreed.

"Everyone wear a mask" "but it's 2024 and we've had a vaccine for three full years."

Joe Schmoe

Reaction score
There's no vaccine against death. That's all the COVID hysteria really is -- people getting older and panicking because they find it difficult to come to terms with their own mortality. Politicians see the panic, react to it, and discover that the offices they hold have sweeping powers that haven't been used for decades. And it feels GREAT to exercise all that power!

If AE offers a shell cordovan mask in the next trunk show I'll probably buy it, but I wear a mask only when required to do so. Can't wait until things get back to normal.

DawgPound

Reaction score
Greetings all! This was a successful week of very good finds...I need to stop looking as I’m lacking some discipline. If the person(s) who sold some of these visits this forum, THANK YOU!

Barely worn Bradley and Fuddy-duddies. I still see the JR logo on the bottoms.
A9B6224C-BEC9-447B-99E5-840D9692F050.jpeg

Gridiron and Achesons. Achesons are courtesy of North Charleston. For the Gridiron, i just need to swap the laces to tan/off-white and bar-lace them.
D802B2FE-459A-4428-96E2-49BA85553F35.jpeg

NYCTechNerd

Reaction score
I know many people frequent both here and the Alden forum but I still thought I would cross-post this.

I think to help cure my decision paralysis and improve my mental health (as related to owning and maintaining shoes), I may try to follow the 7 shoe wardrobe rule (in an abbreviated fashion). This might be heresy on this forum but it would be great if you would all play along and share your list if your were limited to just 7 (not including work/snow boots and sneakers). Here is my list:
  • Black oxford
  • Brown oxford
  • Brown brogue
  • Black tassel loafer
  • Color 8 loafer/LHS
  • Brown suede PTB
  • Snuff Suede Chukka

Last edited:

OldTown

Reaction score
I know many people frequent both here and the Alden forum but I still thought I would cross-post this.

I think to help cure my decision paralysis and improve my mental health (as related to owning and maintaining shoes), I may try to follow the 7 shoe wardrobe rule (in an abbreviated fashion). This might be heresy on this forum but it would be great if you would all play along and share your list if your were limited to just 7 (not including work/snow boots and sneakers). Here is my list:
  • Black oxford
  • Brown oxford
  • Brown brogue
  • Black tassel loafer
  • Color 8 loafer/LHS
  • Brown suede PTB
  • Snuff Suede Chukka
Not one mention of tan or walnut color? This list would already drive me crazy.

DawgPound

Reaction score

• Black oxford
  • Brown oxford
  • Brown brogue
  • Black tassel loafer
  • Color 8 loafer/LHS
  • Brown suede PTB
  • Snuff Suede Chukka
I started off wanting one pair black (Park) and one pair brown (walnut Strand). Then it was 5 pair...then found suede, monk straps, and strandmoks that got me past 10...then i found shell and I’m sitting somewhere in the 20’s. At least I’m starting to unload some. 😁

To play along, what is your normal dress/attire like? My work and lifestyle is more business casual with occasional formal needs, so that influences what I would get and would suggest if limited on number of pairs.

Southwick

Reaction score
The last time I was in the store, an SA was serving Mr. 10 pairs. A young customer who tries on no less than 10 pairs, soaks up all the good information that the SA has and before he walks out of the store, he buys a few pairs online. Of course he only keeps one because he is back next week to return the discards at the store.
Unbelievable. That is just dirty pool.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

Most Interesting Fashion Collaboration of 2020

• JW Anderson x Uniqlo

• Nigo x Virgil Abloh

• Converse x Midnight Studios

• Rick Owens x Champion

• Barbour x Engineered Garments

• Adidas x Bed JW Ford

• Jordan Brand x Dior

• Billie Eilish x Takashi Murakami