• Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Please visit ou very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are posted, including the latest, updated, very comprehensive, Styleforum Black Friday Sales List

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

NYCTechNerd

Reaction score
I didn't ask but no sale was offered.
I have often had to tell an SA that something was on sale "on the website". Sometimes they simply do not know (as far as I can tell) and are happy to double check and give me the sale price. No harm, no foul.

Thoughts on sales: it's psychology.

If I tell you that you're getting a 400 dollar pair of shoes for 30 percent off, so for 280, it seems like an amazing deal. If I just set the normal price at 280, it seems like the shoes aren't premium.

I don't want Allen Edmonds to become Edward Green and sell boots for 1600, so I love sales, but that's how it goes psychologically.

That being said, I'd love a pair of Edward green. Lol
I'm so glad you used the word psychology because that is what most sales and marketing are based on, getting you to do things that you would normally not do (i.e. purchase shoes you do not necessarily need).

Over the years companies have moved to this sale-all-the-time pricing strategy and it unconsciously trained you to wait for the sale so you feel/believe that you got the best price and a good deal when you actually paid exactly what the manufacturer needed to make a decent profit off that item. Sorry to say (and I am sure you already know) that you did not get some special deal, you paid exactly what they wanted you to pay from the beginning. The point is, those shoes were never worth $400. Though, thankfully a few people did pay full price which is just icing on the cake for those bean counters at Caleres.

My wife and I are big fans and customers of Thos Moser furniture. A few years ago the founder/owner of this privately held company wrote a letter that was sent out with the latest paper catalog to current customers. He lamented the fact that after more than 40+ years in business he had to change his pricing strategy and that as of this newest catalog all prices were being significantly raised but that each month a new selection of pieces would go on sale for 15% off. He did not want to do it but the market was forcing him into this new pricing strategy he had to implement if he wanted to stay in touch with "younger people" who will become his new/future customers. It was a sign of the times.

I get that AE is trying to reach a broader audience than most other shoe companies and they are stuck between lower end brands like Johnston and Murphy and next level brands like Carmina and Alden. Add in all the new online-only companies such as Meermin, Cobbler Union, and Grant Stone and the result is that it's not easy being AE these days. This is why I really think they should stop all the frequent sales and create - more clearly defined - pricing tiers (and collections) not unlike Chevy/Cadillac, Ford/Lincoln, Honda/Acura, and Toyota/Lexus. Get people hooked on your lower tier shoes (i.e. made in the DR stuff) and then as they move up in their careers and make more money they can afford the premium shoes (i.e. Strand, Park ave, 5th ave) but do not ever discount premium tier shoes more than 10% and only do it once a year otherwise you just devalue them and your brand. As for shell, lower the price now for stock models but never discount. The basic shell shoe from Carmina at $795 is much better quality and a better value than AE at $695. Maybe most importantly, go hire a few QC and six sigma experts to get quality control issues, under control. Even better, go hire a few people who know how to implement the Toyota Production System.

***** I am no expert but a family friend was a top executive at Ralph Lauren for many years so I would hear about these issues all the time as RL was building his brand into the powerhouse it is today *****

Last edited:

Nobleprofessor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I finished up a long and difficult project at work. Usually, my wife and I might go out for a nice dinner over the weekend. But, we are saving up for our house purchase and furniture shopping.

I still wanted to treat myself, so I got out my Allen Edmonds MacNeil LWB in burgundy Shell. My goodness these are amazing shoes.

I have had these for a while. I had tried on the right shoe pre Today was the first try on of both shoes. I’m having a hard time finding a special occasion suitable for their first wearing.

I had to brush a tiny bit of bloom. I take that as a good sign that they are well conditioned.

8C3B80FD-688C-4CAA-9730-2A5B65B13164.jpeg
BBA229F5-936A-471D-B6F3-2542F2D64D4F.jpeg
4518C013-6388-4EA6-A8B2-343270078C7D.jpeg

donkeyhoatie

Reaction score
I'm so glad you used the word psychology because that is what most sales and marketing are based on, getting you to do things that you would normally not do (i.e. purchase shoes you do not necessarily need).
Stop. Please. This statement is so far off from reality, it discredits anything you say.

Let's all leave the armchair psychology for another time and place and go back to posting all about AE shoes. We'll all be much better off for it.

Sincerely,

Donkey
(20+ years in Marketing)

NYCTechNerd

Reaction score
Stop. Please. This statement is so far off from reality, it discredits anything you say.

Let's all leave the armchair psychology for another time and place and go back to posting all about AE shoes. We'll all be much better off for it.

Sincerely,

Donkey
(20+ years in Marketing)

It actually discredits you to not own up to it as a person who has worked in marketing for 20+ years. I worked in advertising for many years, so I know of what I speak. Sales 101 includes personality training so you know how to communicate (aka manipulate) the customer. Let's at least be honest about it. Sales, Marketing, and Advertising are all strategies/tactics/campaigns meant to separate people from their money in trade for stuff they often do not need.

I'll just leave this here for now:

And maybe this one too:

I'm done.

Last edited:

sam67

Reaction score
I seem to have a fit problem with my strands. My left shoe has a different fit than the right. The left flares out a bit when I wear it. My foot seems to pushing at the edge which the right doesn’t do.

Does anyone else have this issue? Wondering if the left shoe was made a little different or if my left foot is causing this. They are seconds and it could actually be the reason they are.
I know the Tate isn’t loved much, but anyone have experience with a squeaky chukka? Seems it’s near the lacing but it might be within the shoe construction. Basically wondering if it’ll stick around. If they’re forever squeaky than I don’t want to deal with them
I was searching for shoe squeak and found your post. I had the same across the top of the foot with a single monk strap. A tiny bit of mink oil did the trick.

Shoenut

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was just thinking about my collection and realized that I am about 20% strand/stand pattern shoes. Is my portfolio unbalanced?

NYCTechNerd

Reaction score
I was just thinking about my collection and realized that I am about 20% strand/stand pattern shoes. Is my portfolio unbalanced?
I'm not sure what to tell you because my wife keeps telling me to stop buying the same style and color of shoe.

Why is that she cannot see how different they all are?

IMG_2326.jpg

Last edited:

bluejazzmonkey

Reaction score
Unbalanced? Sir, Your damn collection is to die for or kill for!! You have a taste of everything.

stook1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Answer depends upon what size you are and the likelihood that I can purloin rare shell strands from your rotation.

rxcats

Reaction score
Beautiful! Do you have any top down photos? Interested in how the green Landon with the light welt looks from above.
Took a few quick photos just after I left the AE store near Union Square (SF). Here is one top down.

Attachments

BFT9000

Reaction score
As requested, @ProfilaBinding, some "stock photos" of Strands in (L - R) bourbon, copper, coffee, and cigar. I thought that the coffee was going to be a flat mid-brown color, but the burnishing is actually very well done. It's a fantastic color.

IMG_20201023_162823.jpg
IMG_20201023_162911.jpg
IMG_20201023_163531.jpg

IMG_20201023_163430.jpg

IMG_20201023_163248.jpg

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

Most Interesting Fashion Collaboration of 2020

• JW Anderson x Uniqlo

• Nigo x Virgil Abloh

• Converse x Midnight Studios

• Rick Owens x Champion