• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

schweezly

Reaction score
How do people find the Lake Forest to run? For reference:

Randolph- 9.5d is snug everywhere but the instep is brutally low for me. 10d I’m swimming in

Cavanaugh - 9.5d is tight, 10d too loose

Sedona - 9.5 is a perfect fit for me. Suede helps the toe box stretch a little to accommodate toes

I think I tried a patriot in 10d that fit pretty well in the toebox/vamp, little heel slip though

AEShoeMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
HMs to close out a busy week. Have a good weekend everyone!
20191213_180042.jpg

Rufian

Reaction score
What other shoes in the AE line up have a similar soft leather and comfort as the 201 last?

I have the Hopkinson and a pair of Park Avenue I'm trying to sell, when I try both shoes one after the other, the difference is night and day, even though the Hopkinson are 11D and the Park are 11.5D. The Hopkinson is so soft and comfortable and when I put on the park, it feels much heavier and constrictive, is not just the fact that is narrower, but the materials inside and outside are just harder on the Parks.

Its a shame they don't make more models and colors in this last. They don't even have a simple medium brown option in any of the 201 last shoes. I wonder how many people wear last 65 that is not ideal for their feet and unbeknownst to them, the last 201, may be the perfect fit.

M2511

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What other shoes in the AE line up have a similar soft leather and comfort as the 201 last?

I have the Hopkinson and a pair of Park Avenue I'm trying to sell, when I try both shoes one after the other, the difference is night and day, even though the Hopkinson are 11D and the Park are 11.5D. The Hopkinson is so soft and comfortable and when I put on the park, it feels much heavier and constrictive, is not just the fact that is narrower, but the materials inside and outside are just harder on the Parks.

Its a shame they don't make more models and colors in this last. They don't even have a simple medium brown option in any of the 201 last shoes. I wonder how many people wear last 65 that is not ideal for their feet and unbeknownst to them, the last 201, may be the perfect fit.
The Bartlett is available in brown and walnut and is another 201 option. Maybe it’s discontinued now idk haven’t checked in a while. Jefferson 2.0 is the same colors as the Hopkinson also 201 last. The other independence options are the Sarasota and Palm Beach. Again might be getting clearanced out I cannot remember they are comfortable but they are not on the 201.

Rufian

Reaction score
The Bartlett is available in brown and walnut and is another 201 option. Maybe it’s discontinued now idk haven’t checked in a while. Jefferson 2.0 is the same colors as the Hopkinson also 201 last. The other independence options are the Sarasota and Palm Beach. Again might be getting clearanced out I cannot remember they are comfortable but they are not on the 201.

Yeah I know of those shoes, that’s why asked if there is another last that comes with similar leather as the 201. If you go to explore and last 201, you’ll see all the shoes, there isn’t a brown option in any of them.

It’s mostly just black or walnut.

Barlett is basically a Hopkinson with broguing. Barlett has too much broguing for my taste lol

savvysartorial

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Out and about tonight with some nice blue suede tankers

IMG_20191213_185205427.jpg

M2511

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah I know of those shoes, that’s why asked if there is another last that comes with similar leather as the 201. If you go to explore and last 201, you’ll see all the shoes, there isn’t a brown option in any of them.

It’s mostly just black or walnut.

Barlett is basically a Hopkinson with broguing. Barlett has too much broguing for my taste lol
Must be phased out but the Bartlett was available in brown. It’s a 201 strand. The loafers I mentioned are softer and then you can go back to the old Indy line although you’d be hard pressed to find them: Jefferson 1.0, Rutledge, Williams, Harrison, and a loafer I can’t remember right now.

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Out for a little holiday cheer with the Rudolph.
D3FDCF4E-1CF0-4760-83BD-D48B47BCC471.jpeg

1360F943-8D0D-4FA8-985D-60E864B85842.jpeg
6B6BA7A4-CD5E-4428-B163-B0FA7B1A3CD8.jpeg
There is a story here.

Last edited:

Rufian

Reaction score
Must be phased out but the Bartlett was available in brown. It’s a 201 strand. The loafers I mentioned are softer and then you can go back to the old Indy line although you’d be hard pressed to find them: Jefferson 1.0, Rutledge, Williams, Harrison, and a loafer I can’t remember right now.

that Harrison looks very similar to Hopkinson lol

tcbinnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It's a shame they don't make more models and colors in this last. They don't even have a simple medium brown option in any of the 201 last shoes. I wonder how many people wear last 65 that is not ideal for their feet and unbeknownst to them, the last 201, may be the perfect fit.
Well, being a 3E with a high instep, the 201 is supposed to be a better fit. And though that may be true insofar as the additional instep volume is concerned, for me anyway there are cons to the 201 as well. One is, with all it's depth I felt like I was stepping into a hole and that my feet were more wrapped than sitting in a pair of shoes. Secondly, I felt there was less sole between me and the floor and less structural support, both the opposite of what I prefer.

When comparing the 201 to the 65 you also have to take into account there is a meaningful difference in price which I liken to the difference between a supermarket steak and the same cut that's aged 30 days. With the 65, you have to "age" it aka break it in yourself or else pay more for the benefits upfront. True, the PA may never break in enough to equal the Independence line's particular feel but not everyone wants to pay that much up front for a pair of shoes, either.

And so, some end up going to "other" makers and find shoes that are comfortable out of the box at an equal or even better price. The thing of it is, while AE's improve over time, those shoes degrade with each step. So the question becomes, in which direction does one want their shoes, and money, to go? In that regard, they are not equal.

Could, as you suggest, AE try a 201 last with more PA-like leathers and materials? That may not be a bad idea as it may bridge the gap for those who don't quite fit the 65 but want to stay at a certain price point. You could work it the other way too (65 last with higher-end soles and leathers), but I don't know, with all the experimentation I've seen AE admirably perform in just the past year I've known of them, and read about for years preceding, I doubt that they haven't already given the above scenarios some consideration.

As far as "medium brown" goes, they currently don't seem to have much if any of that available in other lasts either. Unless maybe it's shell. But if you look at some of the old AE catalogues, good ol' basic brown appeared to be a dominant color. And like you, I wouldn't mind seeing at least a bit of it come around again as in fact it is currently a "hole" in my collection. Who'd a thought. lol.

Last edited:

VeritasAequitas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So I put the Randolphs back on and I’m wearing them around the living room. I’m not sure how a loafer would fit any better. It’s a little snug around the ball of my foot but about perfect when factoring in some break-in. There’s a very small amount of heel slip every other step or so. I read in a few other places that that’s normal with loafers and goes away after they’re broken in. That’s really my only fit concern at this point. What do you guys think?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads