• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VeritasAequitas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
About a year ago, there was a gentleman who went into great detail explaining why this happens on AE shoes. He was (I think) a former employee and now works for a competitor brand (he wouldn't say which one). He said it had to with the fact that the uppers were being cut to fit multiple sizes than in the past rather than cutting them to a specific size. He kind of disappeared a while back.

@castletonia, I would stick with your usual size for the Higgins. They are fairly wide in the ball but true to size in the heel.
If I recall correctly, that dude disappeared when Ashley showed up. Kind of interesting to me.

James1051

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Big ol’ hunka bourbon shell.
63E59774-7292-4A7D-AA27-859EFC958311.jpeg

VeritasAequitas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You’re implying that AEnonymous and AE Ashley are alter egos? I thought it had been proven that AEnonymous and @wasmisterfu were one and the same. And the latter has disappeared too. Hmmmm?
Oh I forgot about wasmisterfu. I was just entertaining the possibility that Aenonymous was blowing smoke and knew Ashley would call him on it. Haven’t there been some recent factory tour videos posted that kind of contradicted some of the things he said?

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

CommanderMcBragg

Reaction score
Men:

Corresponding today from McBragg HQ with one you don't see every day: I reached for the Boston monkstrap this morning...

IMG_7479.jpeg

On another note, I purchased two pairs of MacNeil from AE during the Black Friday blowout, as I wasn't sure on the width and I figured I'd return whichever didn't fit. When I called in for the return authorization on the one, the rep told me there was a mistake and I had only been charged for one pair, even though my bank statement says otherwise. A manager confirmed a single charge. Rather than hassle it, I figured I would simply list the classic (and now sold-out/discontinued) gunboat longwing on the popular auction site at the ridiculously low price I paid and be done with it. A week later, there is zero interest outside of one inquiry with an offer of $100 (probably one of you weasels...).

I would have figured that a new-in-box first quality $395 shoe in dark chili would sell for less than half price within an hour or so. Weird.

Last edited:

MajorDash

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Men:

Corresponding today from McBragg HQ with one you don't see every day: I reached for the Boston monkstrap this morning...

View attachment 1297957

On another note, I purchased two pairs of MacNeil from AE during the Black Friday blowout, as I wasn't sure on the width and I figured I'd return whichever didn't fit. When I called in for the return authorization on the one, the rep told me there was a mistake and I hadn't been charged, even though my bank statement says otherwise. A manager confirmed a single charge. Rather than hassle it, I figured I would simply list the classic (and now sold-out/discontinued) gunboat longwing on the popular auction site at the ridiculously low price I paid and be done with it. A week later, there is zero interest outside of one inquiry with an offer of $100 (probably one of you weasels...).

I would have figured that a new-in-box first quality $395 shoe in dark chili would sell for less than half price within an hour or so. Weird.

It isn’t a popular model, there’s no return policy, and it was priced the same as on the allen edmonds website. You could sell a pair of NIB Strands on eBay for $200 as they never go on sale. But the MacNeil? It would be sitting around for awhile.

M635Guy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You’re implying that AEnonymous and AE Ashley are alter egos? I thought it had been proven that AEnonymous and @wasmisterfu were one and the same. And the latter has disappeared too. Hmmmm?
I'm gonna go on record as saying AEnonymous was definitely not Ashley. That's easy.

I do get the feeling that guy worked for AE at some point, and would guess the separation wasn't amicable.

Genericuser1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I once walked into my retail AE store when they were undergoing lots of staff changes and a 15 year associate from PW was running the store who instantly recognized the San Marco I was wearing. He goes, I've NEVER seen anyone who liked that one. I go, yup, comfort shoes for today.

I don't own any comfort shoes but I could see myself getting a brown wanderer at some point....as in cheap. I never warmed to the Wilbert and despise the Voyager but the Wanderer reminds me of a better quality DM 8053 which is my most comfortable shoe that isn't a sneaker or a slipper.

jet-stream

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For what it’s worth, and reflective of my personal views/values only, I would not feel comfortable keeping/selling merchandise sent to me by mistake (with an exception if the company clearly understood what happened and explicitly told me to keep it).

I understand the relevant law here and agree that keeping the merchandise is a legal option, but legal doesn’t mean right. If I paid for something and the company didn’t send it, I would hold them accountable. Similarly, if I received something that I didn’t pay for, I hold myself to the same standard. This isn’t hypothetical - I have done so a couple times this year.

Again, my personal perspective.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads