• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

tcbinnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are these really Woodlore? I bought a pair when it was on sale, the product says Woodlore, but the plate, I don't even know what it says and it looks completely different from the plates on the Woodlore shoe trees at woodlore.com and Amazon

Is there any place online that offer custom shoe tree plates, so you can install them on your shoe trees? There has to be.

Woodlore makes them for private label
sale by some department stores.

That's the original L&T logo, recently replaced with the simplistic abomination they are using now. I may have to order a pair myself as I started out in the buying program in their flagship store on Fifth Avenue when retail b+m was still going strong. It was exciting to be there then. However, they just closed that store early this year and sold the building to WeWork. Seems commonplace now, landmarks fading away, but still sad each time it happens.

Here's the story if anyone's interested..

Last edited:

ptfly

Reaction score
That's the original L&T logo, recently replaced with an abomination they are using now. I may have to order a pair myself as I started out in the buying program in their flagship store on Fifth Avenue in Manhattan when retail b+m was still going strong. It was exciting to be there. They just closed that store early this year and sold the building to WeWork. Seems commonplace now, landmarks fading away, but still sad each time it happens.

Here's the story if anyone's interested..
the flagship store holds fond memories for me too. In the late 80s I shopped there. I had a good discount since I worked at may company corporate just off Bryant park.

tcbinnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
the flagship store holds fond memories for me too. In the late 80s I shopped there. I had a good discount since I worked at may company corporate just off Bryant park.
I was there the same decade and Joseph Brooks was CEO. He was known to check his male employees' attire for cuffs in their suit pants and a shine on their shoes. I always tried to have both. lol. Bryant Park, IIRC, was a drug den back then, even nicknamed "Needle Park". Amazing, the transformation now. There are many articles written about its reclamation. To take it back, the first thing the city did was cut down the hedges which were making it too private. Very interesting, I thought, and it among other things has worked.

Last edited:

ProfilaBinding

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wow! They look bespoke. Very nice.

As an aside, it is interesting how the medallion is in different places on different people's shoes. For some, it is practically draped over the front edge while for others it is pulled further back. I guess it is a function of the shoe's length and/or width and corresponding toe cap is all I can reckon'.

About a year ago, there was a gentleman who went into great detail explaining why this happens on AE shoes. He was (I think) a former employee and now works for a competitor brand (he wouldn't say which one). He said it had to with the fact that the uppers were being cut to fit multiple sizes than in the past rather than cutting them to a specific size. He kind of disappeared a while back.

@castletonia, I would stick with your usual size for the Higgins. They are fairly wide in the ball but true to size in the heel.

Neo1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm sort of OCD with trees. AE all have Woodlore, Alden has Alden, Grant Stone have Grant Stone. I don't know why, but it makes me happy. And they are all stored in their respective branded bags, on the shelves, grouped by manufacturer and then style of shoe or boot.

And at the same time you continue to wear suede and leather soles in the rain....Maybe you and I are actually related, never know.

Neo1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think they were out of small when I got mine as well. Mine fits pretty well in the shoulder area, but it's a little long at the bottom.

Speaking of things that don't fit well, I had a friend who would place a few magazines on his coffee table for guests to read. I would pick them up over and over again. My friend at one point said, "You keep picking those up as if they have changed." I laughed and said, "I guess I do keep thinking I will come across something I didn't notice before." Of course, nothing changed and I didn't notice anything new. Why do I mention this? Because this is my experience with the Williams. I keep coming back to them, thinking they will "fit better next time..." They never do. My left foot small toes still get squished a bit. I get sad at the thought of selling them, but I might need to. Insanity is doing the same thing expecting a different result, right?

You do realize AE just re-released all the exact same road warriors that weren't too great the first time around....

Neo1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't like the set in stone compartments though, has some bad reviews

Always be careful when you read those reviews. Might have been posted by people bitter about not getting the right fit and equating that to bad quality...you never know.

Neo1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The scariest words from you are when you tell me, "this works great for me." At least the Higgins works well for both of us.

I once walked into my retail AE store when they were undergoing lots of staff changes and a 15 year associate from PW was running the store who instantly recognized the San Marco I was wearing. He goes, I've NEVER seen anyone who liked that one. I go, yup, comfort shoes for today.

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I try to wear the McTavish as much as I can.
23ADCAAD-740E-428D-A8A9-68F89ECEB0D8.jpeg

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
And at the same time you continue to wear suede and leather soles in the rain....Maybe you and I are actually related, never know.
Let 'em dry out, brush them and all is good. Cows get wet :). In all honesty, if the wether forecast calls for downpours and/or snow (at this time of year) I will go with a rubber sole on footwear.

woofmang

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm sort of OCD with trees. AE all have Woodlore, Alden has Alden, Grant Stone have Grant Stone. I don't know why, but it makes me happy. And they are all stored in their respective branded bags, on the shelves, grouped by manufacturer and then style of shoe or boot.
I think you meant "CDO". (BTW: Like the new avatar pic - Nigel looks happy in the snow.) :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 45 40.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 44 39.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 18 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 25 22.5%

Forum statistics

Threads