• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

darkclassic

Reaction score
Wow! Super collection of HMs. I'm drooling over most of those mofos. The funny thing is, for as nice and extensive as that collection is, it doesn't even represent half of the different HMs that have been available. I'm sure I'm forgetting some, but here's what I see missing:

CXL
Brown
Black

Shell
Chili
Green
Black

Suede
Black waxed
Dark brown (MTO)
Loden (MTO - Thanks for reminding me).

Misc.
Camo (you know you want it!)
Tumbled Brown
Tumbled Black
Weatherproof Tan Grain
Weatherproof Brown
Weatherproof Black

What am I forgetting? I didn't put the 3 Kings boot on here, because I don't think that was labeled as HM, but I could be wrong.

Shell
Brown
Bourbon
Burgundy (I thought you had a pair of these in burgundy, no?)
Navy

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Can someone recommend some good shoe box?

I wanted to buy the woodlore shoe box but people say is too small. They give you dimensions of the box but not the interior dimensions which is what matters
Found mine in a closet at an estate sale, was really cheap. I always check in the closet, may find some vintage shoes. The box isn't large enough to hold everything, so brushes reside in another place, as do cloths and some more products, but I like it.
IMG_0149.jpeg
IMG_0151.jpeg

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
So... time for a family shot. The brown shell pair landed this week, so it seemed appropriate. Bourbon, brown, shaved, burgundy, navy, natty CXL, shark, brown waxed suede (the elusive version with dark edge dressing), and acorn CF Stead suede.

View attachment 1297540
Wow! Nice! you got me beat by two. paging @BagleyBrown ?
CXL
Brown - Had it. Returned it.
Black - Don't think I'd wear it.

Shell - I WANT NATTY SHELL.
Chili - want it. Thought it would be too similar to burgundy. It's not.
Green - want it.
Black - thought about it. Prob wouldn't wear it.

Suede
Black waxed - strong maybe
Dark brown (MTO) - I want all the suede. Loden too.

Misc. - MORE SHARK PLZ
Camo (you know you want it!) - Yuck.
Tumbled Brown - Doesn't catch my eye
Tumbled Black - See above
Weatherproof Tan Grain - I wanted to love this one. I really did. The leather feels like rubber.
Weatherproof Brown - meh
Weatherproof Black - meh
Agreed on CXL.

I've got the green and the black. I don't think I need the chili though.

Black and brown waxed are strong maybes, though I kinda wanna get the black as a Bowery to complete the set.

I want more suede - dark brown, loden, olive, milkshake, rust, violet, whatever.

I think I agree on all of the misc...especially Shark Week!!!!!!

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It's a hell of a lot easier and cheaper than keeping a bear, tiger, buffalo or longhorn on campus

a student in a costume is probably the cheapest and least complicated mascot option (& no complaints from PETA). Stanford has even managed to eliminate the costume part

My high school mascot was a sand storm. @madhat can verify my story. As odd as it sounds, it is sure to offend somebody.

BagleyBrown

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wow! Nice! you got me beat by two. paging @BagleyBrown ?

My special material bench is pretty deep on HMs, Antique Cherry, Burgundy, Green, Brown, Bourbon, Blue (+deja Blue) and Shark.

I am missing chili and black shell. And I often can be heard mumbling MadHat (to Seinfeld "Newman" tone) when I reach for my unordered black pair.

@polojock615 's coming brown shell with olive Dainite will be my dammit pair, cause I have enough boots. Dammit. dammit.

tcbinnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you live in or near a major city I would recommend searching "wooden box" and "wood box" on craigslist.

I could not find anything in a retail store that would hold all my materials so I picked this up on CL (under $150 IIRC) and it works very well

I recognize that it is insane to have something like this but I trust nobody ITT will be throwing stones

The boxes specific to "shoes" I've viewed all appeared cheaply made and with corroborating reviews.
So at your suggestion I just googled "wood box". Who knew?! I'll look a little more but the one shown below might already be the ticket.
Great idea! Thanks.

Last edited:

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
My high school mascot was a sand storm. @madhat can verify my story. As odd as it sounds, it is sure to offend somebody.

View attachment 1297653
Blow Sand Blow! (worst cheer ever)
I was a Tascosa Rebel, but my son is a Sandie. :/
My special material bench is pretty deep on HMs, Antique Cherry, Burgundy, Green, Brown, Bourbon, Blue (+deja Blue) and Shark.

I am missing chili and black shell. And I often can be heard mumbling MadHat (to Seinfeld "Newman" tone) when I reach for my unordered black pair.

@polojock615 's coming brown shell with olive Dainite will be my dammit pair, cause I have enough boots. Dammit. dammit.
Haha! I knew the black out HM was going to be a sleeper hit.

polojock615

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

That's the brown pair in the picture! I bet you can't see the olive Dainite, although it's there.

CommanderMcBragg

Reaction score
My very first AE--the one that started it all some 10 pairs ago--and still my favorite AE. The winner and still champeen...

FullSizeRender-1.jpeg

While we're on the topic, what is the consensus on the Bartlett v the Strand? I have never tried on or seen in real life an actual pair of the Bartlett, though if I am a Strand disciple, must I have a pair of the Bartlett in my rotation?

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
My very first AE--the one that started it all some 10 pairs ago--and still my favorite AE. The winner and still champeen...

View attachment 1297664

While we're on the topic, what is the consensus on the Bartlett v the Strand? I have never tried on or seen in real life an actual pair of the Bartlett, though if I am a Strand disciple, must I have a pair of the Bartlett in my rotation?
Bartlett is very similar, but nicer leather in and out. The lambskin liner is very soft. The leather you see is double tanned (as I recall) and is softer, but also doesn't take a shine as easily. The sole is just about as good as the JR found on shell pairs. It's on the 201, which is basically the 65 with more vamp volume. Since you've got some lace gap, you'd probably be fine with the last change.

James1051

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My first pair of Strands for their first wear.

View attachment 1297426
aaaaand, they are Stellar!

Fuddy Fenways and SM Cords:

View attachment 1297521
winning. love the cords too
So... time for a family shot. The brown shell pair landed this week, so it seemed appropriate. Bourbon, brown, shaved, burgundy, navy, natty CXL, shark, brown waxed suede (the elusive version with dark edge dressing), and acorn CF Stead suede.

View attachment 1297540
Oh boy, I had thought my next HM would be a black waxed, or perhaps a burgundy. But that dark brown shell number is superb! Looks darker than I recall from the photo on the website

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score
aaaaand, they are Stellar!

winning. love the cords too

Oh boy, I had thought my next HM would be a black waxed, or perhaps a burgundy. But that dark brown shell number is superb! Looks darker than I recall from the photo on the website

Thank you, sir! I must confess, I've felt pangs of guilt all day since although my post was technically accurate, I do have a pair of Elgins, which were i think my first pair of AEs.

VeritasAequitas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Those of you who have sold shoes on eBay, what’s your preferred shipping method? Where do you find boxes that will fit the show box inside?

lemmy127

Reaction score
Those of you who have sold shoes on eBay, what’s your preferred shipping method? Where do you find boxes that will fit the show box inside?

USPS has a shoe shipping box that you can order from them for free and it works great. A local post office might have them too. It has USPS insignia all over it, so I don’t think any other shippers are an option, but IMO they’re the easiest and cheapest to work using Priority Mail.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads