• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Don't hate me cause I'm right :hide:

Speaking of. Flughafen time again.

View attachment 1297412

Side note, Target's Goodfellow & Co selvedge is thin but really bloody comfy.
Nice travel boots and bag. The Target selvedge is a pretty good deal as well as being comfy, but you are right, it isn't a heavy weight denim.

armedferret

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nice travel boots and bag. The Target selvedge is a pretty good deal as well as being comfy, but you are right, it isn't a heavy weight denim.

Mystery Ranch makes a hell of a backpack.

Rufian

Reaction score
I could give you my sleep-deprivation cranky rant about how the Boone & CM Leeds are better and you shouldn't waste your time but gotta tink happy thoughts today.

Think of it like "families." You have two brothers - the 65 & 201. Lots of people really like the 65, but he doesn't work for everyone - especially high instep people. So that's were his little bro comes in. Only trouble is some people now think the 201 feels too long. So the 65 got a cousin, the 42, where the shape was held the same, but the cone height was raised way up to compensate. Might have been a little too much for some people, but it seems like no one actually tried it given that the prime styles were the Tates & Whitneys which I know people on this board...didn't care for that much. So in typical AE fashion, rather than making a small tweak, they swung the pendulum way in the other direction and came up with the 42N which basically sucks out all of the added room from the 42 and winds up being even smaller and less volume. I don't know what most people think of the 42N, but it worked pretty well for me in general, and as ProfilaBinding knows, when Neo says "this works for me," it's usually a bad sign for basically everyone else.

Not going to forget about little bro the 201. He also got a cousin, the 2531, which pushed the elongation even further and coupled with the 201's raised cone height was also kind of a problematic fit that may have worked for some but not most.

All related. The 97, 145, 234, 000 and 511 are all quite similar also.

My issue with AE is that I never figured out my right size because of this people at AE all measured me wrong. First I was fitted by the manager and she said you’re 11.5D on park avenue.

These shoes fit but I have a slight gap in the heel and can easily put them on without a shoe horn. Then I went back again and was measured by another rep who said your left foot is between a B and C and your right foot is a little wider, a C but because of my high step, I have to wear D. Then I asked am I 11.5D and he said no you’re 11

which kinda made sense as many times I measured my feet on my own I always got 11 inches and I even measured with a brannock at Macys and it was 11 on the dot but I thought 11.5 may be my size to have extra room

I tried 11D and fit fine and these are the shoes I have now and I can even put them on without shoe horn but with trouble.

Now both of these times I was measured in the morning so I don’t know. When I wear hopkinson 11d, it feel like I have decent space on the front which is ok but I wonder if I had gotten 11.5d, it would have more space width thus being more comfortable than they are. What I did is I stretched the shoes wider to give more room which worked.

I was measured a C width in the morning but chances are I’m D at the end of the day

stook1

Master Builder
Reaction score
My first pair of Strands for their first wear.

20191212_080846.jpg

ptfly

Reaction score
My issue with AE is that I never figured out my right size because of this people at AE all measured me wrong. First I was fitted by the manager and she said you’re 11.5D on park avenue.

These shoes fit but I have a slight gap in the heel and can easily put them on without a shoe horn. Then I went back again and was measured by another rep who said your left foot is between a B and C and your right foot is a little wider, a C but because of my high step, I have to wear D. Then I asked am I 11.5D and he said no you’re 11

which kinda made sense as many times I measured my feet on my own I always got 11 inches and I even measured with a brannock at Macys and it was 11 on the dot but I thought 11.5 may be my size to have extra room

I tried 11D and fit fine and these are the shoes I have now and I can even put them on without shoe horn but with trouble.

Now both of these times I was measured in the morning so I don’t know. When I wear hopkinson 11d, it feel like I have decent space on the front which is ok but I wonder if I had gotten 11.5d, it would have more space width thus being more comfortable than they are. What I did is I stretched the shoes wider to give more room which worked.

I was measured a C width in the morning but chances are I’m D at the end of the day
I measure b on left foot and c on right. My instep is not low. Have you tried a c width in any last¿
most of my 65 last are c except shell and unlined.
shame 201 last is lacking in c widths. That might be a good fit. The 201 b works for me. D is always too wide and of course comes with heel slip.

Last edited:

lemmy127

Reaction score

The first time I went into an AE store, I was measured and then given a size 13D to try since I was interested in a particular model that was part of a 2 for $250 seconds sale (RIP). Since this is what I had bought for years, it didn't seem odd and fit me just like dozens of shoes before it, the full ability to fully splay my toes without touching the shoe sides and plenty of heel slip.

More than a dozen or so AEs and Aldens later, I find out that I'm a B width on my left foot and A width on my right. I'm fairly certain that that location didn't have what I was looking for in a B width, and since it was the 65 last, the employee tried to see if D width worked instead, not knowing that I had no clue what proper fit was after a decade or more of wearing too wide of shoes.

Rufian

Reaction score
Can someone recommend some good shoe box?

I wanted to buy the woodlore shoe box but people say is too small. They give you dimensions of the box but not the interior dimensions which is what matters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads