• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Chief Illiniwek was a guy who dressed up in buckskin and a Sioux-style headdress with feathers. I never paid any attention to him at football games, but I think he'd basically act as a cheerleader on the sidelines. He'd get the crowd amped up using arm and facial gestures and would exhort them to cheer, etc. At halftime, he'd do a dance. The first part of the dance was pretty acrobatic, he'd bounce all over the field and do the splits in midair, etc. Then the second part of the dance routine would become very dignified and he'd finish with gestures that looked like some sort of sun-worshipping routine that Native Americans might have actually used. He wasn't a comical or demeaning figure at all, his presentation was by and large quite dignified. But people claiming to be Native Americans -- some of whom at least looked like Indians, others who looked like Elizabeth Warren -- were always sporadically protesting the Chief Illiniwek mascot, and the usual coalition of liberal activist groups would rally behind that "struggle."

Again, the whole "controversy" seemed patently insincere, just PC rabble-rousing for the sake of rabble-rousing. But I always figured well, you know, while these protestors sure seem to have a lot of time on their hands, if there are some people out there who really are offended... just change it. Who cares? it's just a sports mascot for a school whose teams have historically struggled to achieve the status of "mediocre." So why not just make the switch? But whenever that was proposed a bunch of alumni would come out of the woodwork pledging their undying loyalty for the Chief and declare that his dances at halftime were a "proud tradition," that this line in the sand must never be crossed, etc. I was like, sheesh, we're not talking about changing from the Latin Mass to the Novus Ordo vernacular-language Mass, or the periodic proposal to change the National Anthem from the Star Spangled Banner to America the Beautiful... even though people seemed to imbue the issue with the same level of importance. Chief Illiniwek is just a SPORTS MASCOT, but the controversy never seemed to go away, although I guess they finally changed mascots 10 or 15 years go.

I doubt that the Cheif wore AE's. I guess he could have worn the Kiowa or the Mountauk but i doubt it.
Currently, there is no mascot at the University of Illinois, and the Chief "controversy" continues to rage on. At least 1 or two times per week there is a "Bring back the Chief" letter to the editor in the local newspaper. People still drive around with bumper stickers professing their loyalty to the symbol. The University itself, who own the rights to the illustration of the chief, have removed all traces from any official buildings/documents/etc. Probably have to wait for current generation to all die before it goes away, and all because some guy (who is not Native American, but who is a professor at the school) was "offended" by the representation of such a fictional character as a sports mascot. And I bet the professor doesn't wear AE either.

FatTuesday

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Brown shell Dundees today...
20191211_170422.jpg

20191211_170427.jpg

20191211_170645.jpg

Needed brushing to remove the white fever.

Last edited:

Lionel Hutz

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The shoe size discussion relative to height has been interesting. I brannock a 12 and am 5'11." I don't think I've ever even thought about being disproportionate as any of you 6'+ /12+ guys have mentioned.

I don't worry about the length of my feet being disproportionate to height (I brannock 13.5B on my L and 12.5B on my R) but certain styles don't look good on larger (especially narrow) feet IMO.

As others have noted I think the below suggestion/advice is exactly wrong:

Hahah that's funny. My father (when he was younger) was buying a pair of dress shoes and it was suggested to avoid longwings since his size 16 foot would literally look like it went on forever. They said a shortwing would be more appropriate, LOL.

I get the theory that longwings can be thought to emphasize length but I think design actually breaks up the line of the foot and makes it appear smaller vis-a-vis something like a wholecut

I think my feet look smaller in a strand than in a leeds or park ave.

Last edited:

Rugger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How bad were the defects?

Not super awful, have seen worse, but enough that they shouldn't have made it out of the factory.

One of the heels on a 5th ave walnut has some serious burnishing along the heel stitch line and also had some edge coloring marked up on the instep. The other was a cigar Stand and one of the brogue flaps, for lack of a better terms, on the rear quarter was sticking out, lifted off the surface, if that makes sense. Caught all of the above immediately on first glance. Told my wife who opened the boxes that with two pair there was a 50% chance one of them goes back and 25% they both go back.

Really need to stop ordering online and stick to in person. Do brick and mortars offer the same sale pricing that the online store does?

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Not super awful, have seen worse, but enough that they shouldn't have made it out of the factory.

One of the heels on a 5th ave walnut has some serious burnishing along the heel stitch line and also had some edge coloring marked up on the instep. The other was a cigar Stand and one of the brogue flaps, for lack of a better terms, on the rear quarter was sticking out, lifted off the surface, if that makes sense. Caught all of the above immediately on first glance. Told my wife who opened the boxes that with two pair there was a 50% chance one of them goes back and 25% they both go back.

Really need to stop ordering online and stick to in person. Do brick and mortars offer the same sale pricing that the online store does?
You can get as good of a deal in store and sometimes better.

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Good Morning,

I just bought a pair of Wooster Streets in my exact size, which is an 11D.

Did I pick the most accurate size for a loafer? I hear many loafer brands will stretch away from your actual size over time, and it's often appropriate to size down for them.

However, I have a pair of the Cavanaugh's I bought a few years ago in an 11D that sill fit fine. Also, I figure that it's possible that any stretching would be negated by the combination of the cork bed lining with the 64 last (Wooster is built on the same last as Park, Ave, Strand etc).

Am I right here? Or should I have sized down a half or 1? (I got them from the shoe bank so I don't look forward to paying the $25 restocking fee lol)
I think you will be fine at 11D. My Wooster Street fits a little snugger than my Cavanaugh. The plug is also higher on the foot.

James1051

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do you guys use shoe trees in your sneakers, too?
What are sneakers?

I don't worry about the length of my feet being disproportionate to height (I brannock 13.5B on my L and 12.5B on my R) but certain styles don't look good on larger (especially narrow) feet IMO.

I get the theory that longwings can be thought to emphasize length but I think design actually breaks up the line of the foot and makes it appear smaller vis-a-vis something like a wholecut

I think my feet look smaller in a strand than in a leeds or park ave.
Another Big Foot, here. I've found that the last has much to do with making my big feet look a bit wider and shorter (511) or even longer and skinnier (333). Agree with you that the perfs, pinking and medallions on Strands and Macs tends to reduce the visual impact of a long, large foot.

Technically blue, but absolutely have some green in them under certain lighting. A much different shade of blue than my others.
My blue shell Macs have a distinct green undertone. I love it. My navy dundees and cornwallis are seemingly true navy. But they haven't had much time to fade, yet.

pedarius

Reaction score
My blue shell Macs have a distinct green undertone. I love it. My navy dundees and cornwallis are seemingly true navy. But they haven't had much time to fade, yet.

My navy shell HMs definitely have a green undertone in full sunlight. Almost looks like the ocean--brilliant effect. Indoors, they're just navy. Fun stuff.

Also, as a 6'6" size 13, I'll add that the rolls on shell make it possible for me to wear plain-front shoes that I'd stay away from otherwise, because of the huge-unbroken-expanse effect. At least, that's one of the self-rationalization tricks I use. "I NEED to spend $725 to buy these in shell because the CXL/calf/whatever would look RIDICULOUS on my feet. Fact."

WNovizar

Reaction score
Wow, with the BC1818 promo code added, you can get the dark brown shell shortwing bluchers for $508.98 before taxes and shipping. I'm glad I'm a B width, otherwise I'd be making an impulsive, unnecessary purchase this morning. Also can get Alden shell full strap loafers for $371.28... and it doesn't look like the bait and switch Italian ones either.
Yeah, for some reason that Full Strap Loafer is still made by Alden, last deadstock I guess.

And lol I had to ban myself from visiting BB site at least for today, because otherwise I would get 3 pairs of Peal Co Cordovan shoes and boots (and then got letter of divorce next week)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads