• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

lemmy127

Reaction score
Have not tried the Wooster but if the Cavanaugh really is absolutely comfortable in an 11D I would have started with a 10.5D on the wooster. No restock for an exchange, just a return.

Speaking of which, I had been wondering... what is the Cavanaugh fit like for you guys relative to your normal/Brannock size?

The pair I got from dabondo in 13B that's perfectly snug if I don't wear socks, but too tight if I do. I was always wondering if it was a defect in the fit or if the 114 last is just that much tighter of a fit than others.

woofmang

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Spoilered Wingtip Wednesday entry:

20191211_decurion3s.jpg

savvysartorial

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
NON-AE Higgins clone... Oh what a suede trunk show would be. These are just amazing. Love the new leather sole; my go to casual boot.

IMG_20191211_111218047_HDR.jpg

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Seems our hobby has real world benefits.

Facts are facts, AEAT's Filthy Barn Weasels are really wise investors in style. @LA Guy
Especially if you wear them around your neck, like a tie, or a scarf.

savvysartorial

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
lol, that's a whole nother topic, but I am also a huge fan of Cancini flannels, have several.

Watch for the coming denim; they sell it out quick each year, and there is some brief price pain, but never any regrets. And they are turning shirts around consistently now in 10-14 days.

LOL, your dad wanted a loooooooong wing

And oh yes, Propercloth is horribly addictive and just as with footwear,
you'll end up broke and happy with a stacked closet.

Haha exactly! Literal gunship, you could ski in them!

Well looks like I need to set my sights on that ;)

Huh, I can’t disagree with that advice more.

Granted I’m three whole sizes smaller, but after a lot of trial and error, I’ve completely written off plain toe anything. I find that the vast unbroken surface of plain toes makes my size 13Bs look clownish, but more visually busy designs like MacNeils and Strands break up the space and make them look more normal.

And I’ll add that I’m 6’3”. Seems like the perfect overlap of getting questions about playing basketball and the weather up there but still being able to buy clothes off the rack.

That's a fair statement! I also think the B width can really exacerbate things because of the narrow width. I recently saw a photo dispersion from EEE to AAA and it was terrifying how narrow AAA was.

Yes, you're right there at the cusp of being too gangly to get anything good in store!

funny. I'm 6'5" and wear a 12 or 13B. I'm always conscious of how shoes scale because my feet are long and narrow and shoes are usually designed to look good on a size 9 or whatever and I've always thought busier designs worked better on longer feet.

Nice! Another tall gentleman :fonz:

I understand the sentiment on makeups on 9 vs larger sizes. Some of the really small sizes almost look squished versus a larger size just scaling everything up.

I’m a lowly 6’4’’.....

And do check S&M out. I have 7 MTM shirts with them now? I have the fit down just about perfect. They have a great selection of cloth.

That's still a respectable number in the height department! Certainly not vertically challenged! :p

When I order some more shirts (hopefully some dressy AND casual) I will get some. All of mine are from BB thus far and I have their fit down perfectly. After speaking with S&M I can literally just use those shirts as templates and enter the dimensions to get a dimensional clone.

savvysartorial

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Especially if you wear them around your neck, like a tie, or a scarf.

John T Molloy's Dress for Success which was written many years ago took a look at just this information. Simple patterns and colors indicate wealth and rank. It was a fascinating read.

instigateur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wingtip Wednesday with a light dusting of snow.
IMG_20191211_093453.jpg

Joe Schmoe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It starts like this:

I - L - L !
I - N - I

Are the athletic teams still called the Illini? I thought they got rid of the Chief a few years ago, so I just assumed they changed the name of the teams, too. Not taking a position one way or the other on that "controversy," I really didn't care about it as an undergrad and I can't say that it's any more important to me today. The whole thing seemed manufactured and insincere. If there are actually any members of the Illini tribe left, I doubt that they really care about the U of I's team mascot. Plus the dance that he'd do at halftimes was pretty dignified TBH. And to be extremely blunt, I very much doubt that there are any Illini left. The tribes of the Midwest were pretty small and after centuries of intermarriage they've mostly faded away by now, so I always thought that the people who claimed to be personally offended by the Chief were faking it.

That said, the fanatical defenders of the Chief also struck me as forced and a little strange. It's a just sports mascot for a school whose academic performance far outshines its athletic performance, historically. So why would anyone invest so much mental and emotional energy into the stupid mascot? But every time that subject came up the passionate defenders of "tradition" would come out of the woodwork. They seemed to view the Chief and the Fighting Illini as these sacred, quasi-spiritual icons. I was like, what? What are you talking about?

THAT SAID, I have an orange and blue tie from BB, and if AE ever comes out with Neumoks in college colors again, I'm definitely going to get a pair.

Last edited:

Joe Schmoe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just wanted to thank everyone who recommended the Dublin McTavish. There weren't any left on the AE site, so I actually ponied up $229 to buy the last pair that Zappos had on hand. They arrived with some creases and the shade of leather on the instep of the left shoe was considerably lighter than the shade on the right. But I kept them anyway and they are fantastic, a super fun, super comfortable shoe.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Are the athletic teams still called the Illini? I thought they got rid of the Chief a few years ago, so I just assumed they changed the name of the teams, too. Not taking a position one way or the other on that "controversy," I really didn't care about it as an undergrad and I can't say that it's any more important to me today. The whole thing seemed manufactured and insincere. If there are actually any members of the Illini tribe left, I doubt that they really care about the U of I's team mascot. Plus the dance that he'd do at halftimes was pretty dignified TBH. And to be extremely blunt, I very much doubt that there are any Illini left. The tribes of the Midwest were pretty small and after centuries of intermarriage they've mostly faded away by now, so I always thought that the people who claimed to be personally offended by the Chief were faking it.

That said, the fanatical defenders of the Chief also struck me as forced and a little strange. It's a just sports mascot for a school whose academic performance far outshines its athletic performance, historically. So why would anyone invest so much mental and emotional energy into the stupid mascot? But every time that subject came up the passionate defenders of "tradition" would come out of the woodwork. They seemed to view the Chief and the Fighting Illini as these sacred, quasi-spiritual icons. I was like, what? What are you talking about?

THAT SAID, I have an orange and blue tie from BB, and if AE ever comes out with Neumoks in college colors again, I'm definitely going to get a pair.
They are still called the "Fighting Illini", I've lived here most of my life and couldn't really care one way or the other about the whole "Chief" thing. It was a fabricated PC thing, in the opinion of most of us who have been here a long time. There are no Illini tribe native Americans left, and haven't been for a VERY long time (perhaps over 100 + years). Agree the defenders of the mascot are forced and somewhat fanatical in their obsession with a sports mascot, for teams from a school whose, as you rightly pointed out, academic performance far outshines athletic performance. However, the I-L-L-I-N-I chant is still shouted out at every sports event.

Lionel Hutz

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Wow, with the BC1818 promo code added, you can get the dark brown shell shortwing bluchers for $508.98 before taxes and shipping. I'm glad I'm a B width, otherwise I'd be making an impulsive, unnecessary purchase this morning. Also can get Alden shell full strap loafers for $371.28... and it doesn't look like the bait and switch Italian ones either.

Rakuten is also showing 7.5% cash back at Brooks Brothers. If I weren't a B width I'd be all over some of those deals

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads