• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

James1051

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A few months ago, I shared my excitement that the new suede Stuart chukka would soon be available in more than D-widths.
(Based on their answer to the question on their website.)
View attachment 1294327
AE has now backed off on their plans to offer this in additional widths.

Here is their newest answer:

View attachment 1294328 View attachment 1294329

Translation: This boot is not selling well enough to waste our time with your petty request.

I guess this explains why nobody at AE would answer my questions about how to order these boots in a B-width. (I’m not going to call anyone out. I did make repeated attempts to get my question answered via messages and phone calls.)

It’s frustrating.
And another reason why I appreciate the ease in which I was place this non-standard order with Rancourt recently.
View attachment 1294333

Limited run? Fugetaboutit

These things looks crazy blue in better lighting conditions. Super happy with them.

The fit was a bit wonky, but I assume it will tighten up after a wear or two.

View attachment 1294456 View attachment 1294457
Sweet, Congrats!

Woah, they discontinued the MacNeil?? That's a head-scratcher to say the least. Although I don't own one, it's very popular on here.
See also, the Patriot

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Models getting shipped to DR, Macneil getting dropped totally, models not offered in widths ... sigh

FC92D26A-D282-4221-92C9-08ED9BB993BD.jpeg

Then I am glad I got my bourbon MacNeils when they were still available.

mreams99

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’m confused about the models offered in only D-widths when they’re using a heritage last. It makes no sense.

They already have the last in multiple widths.
And with the uppers program where the same cut leather is shared across several similar size/width combinations, they already have the uppers.

We’ve got both the last and the uppers sitting in the factory. How hard is it to put the two together?

BagleyBrown

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’m confused about the models offered in only D-widths when they’re using a heritage last. It makes no sense.

They already have the last in multiple widths.
And with the uppers program where the same cut leather is shared across several similar size/width combinations, they already have the uppers.

We’ve got both the last and the uppers sitting in the factory. How hard is it to put the two together?

Inventory management is much easier with D widths...It is realistic to hope/expect them to honor our sizes, but, not in all pairs. Just won't happen. Only about half what they make is available in my size, so I focus the choices I do have...

Feelin Fuddy:

Yesterday we had a casual lunch / Xmas party at the office.
Still missing the real deal, but these have served for a few Christmases.

instigateur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Late Thursday Fuddy post. Barrie LTD.
IMG_20191205_213838.jpg
IMG_20191205_145803.jpg
IMG_20191205_213355.jpg

All day at a vendor tech briefing. Actually 4 events at different venues all within 1 block of each other. I was struck by my good fortune.

FurFest bonus pic. A Furry was invited into the event. Moves being made.

instigateur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Friday Florsheim Fuddy
IMG_20191206_092054.jpg
IMG_20191206_150128.jpg

mreams99

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I used to work for a mass-market auto manufacturer. There we're a handful of grades for each model. Occasionally, there would be something that was a special one-of-a-kind version.
For example, some cars are raced. It’s important to minimize weight for a car that is raced, so everything possible was done to make this as light as possible but still be “factory stock” for racing.
The paint department did not add the usual layer of clear coat to the basic color. The car had no sound deadening. There was no sealer put around the body panels when they were welded together. In the assembly department, it was built with no radio and no A/C even though that would normally be included. The parts installed would be whichever version was the lightest. The cheapest low-grade carpet for example. A roof liner was installed with an opening for a sunroof even though there was no sunroof. The seats were the entry level ones (no motorized adjustments). It all came together perfectly.
And it was 100 times more complicated than building a shoe.

aero25

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This may be a really stupid question, but if I left my brown Higgins out in the sun for a few days, would they look more like natural cxl?
While all things would seem to trend towards a medium brown over time, I don't think that would have the effect you are hoping for.
This is such an incredibly frustrating part of eBay. I can’t tell you the number of times I’ve been excited to click open a listing that says it’s size 13B, only to be met with a photo that shows it’s actually 13B/D... so 13D. There’s currently a Massdrop chukka listed as 13B that is really 13EEE (shown as 13 3E). I know 3 could look like a faded B, but come on, why are you completely ignoring the E next to it?!
I ran across a listing earlier this year for a "12R." Upon closer inspection, it was a 12A!
Vintage NOS Cambridge in my size..... must resist
download.jpeg

Woah, they discontinued the MacNeil?? That's a head-scratcher to say the least. Although I don't own one, it's very popular on here.
C'mon, get one while the getting is still good. Complete the Fuddy Set. It's your only missing piece! I think McNeil are pretty rad and do recommend one. I miss my old burgundy pair, they really went with everything!

Rufian

Reaction score
Is Saphir really that much better than other polishes. I have two Saphir that I bought on sale, the medium brown and dark brown. Before that I had bought the AE speed polish in brown. I’ve only used the Saphir medium brown on my Hopkinson walnut to make them browner. The Saphir is cremier and not as thick. I have yet to use the AE polish on AE shoes lol I used on some old boots and it works

I have black Hopkinson and not sure if I should get Saphir in black or just AE speed polish in black. I can get the speed polish for 12 bucks online with shipping but saphir is like $26 with shipping. Not sure if worth it. Might as well to increase my Saphir collection ?

I have yet to buy the Saphir conditioner instead I use Bick 4.

As good as Saphir may be, I find is a lot of hype and even though it may better than other polishes is probably not $15 more better

I think the packaging has a lot to do with the appeal of these products, if Saphir didn’t come in those shinu women cream glass bottles, the appeal probably wouldn’t be as high. It looks pretty and that’s probably a tax you’re paying for. No other polish or conditioner competitor makes their product in these type of packages.

Last edited:

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Came down to visit my parents and ended up being an impromptu funeral service. I cobbled together something that is kinda appropriate but I don’t have my clothes with me.
My brother had nothing even close.
BB18E405-906D-4D22-A9F4-409F5A985CBF.jpeg

Black Nike is all he had.
A1BD7486-8FBE-4F23-B4FB-A4241C234CDC.jpeg

No black socks for me.
14E686F6-DEE1-434D-A636-46FC3E83DB82.jpeg

At least I had an old black suit that I was going to donate but something made me bring it with.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Came down to visit my parents and ended up being an impromptu funeral service. I cobbled together something that is kinda appropriate but I don’t have my clothes with me.
My brother had nothing even close.
View attachment 1294688
Black Nike is all he had.
View attachment 1294689
No black socks for me.
View attachment 1294690
At least I had an old black suit that I was going to donate but something made me bring it with.
Excellent outfit, sorry for the occasion that was the impetus for wearing it however.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Is Saphir really that much better than other polishes. I have two Saphir that I bought on sale, the medium brown and dark brown. Before that I had bought the AE speed polish in brown. I’ve only used the Saphir medium brown on my Hopkinson walnut to make them browner. The Saphir is cremier and not as thick. I have yet to use the AE polish on AE shoes lol I used on some old boots and it works

I have black Hopkinson and not sure if I should get Saphir in black or just AE speed polish in black. I can get the speed polish for 12 bucks online with shipping but saphir is like $26 with shipping. Not sure if worth it. Might as well to increase my Saphir collection ?

I have yet to buy the Saphir conditioner instead I use Bick 4.

As good as Saphir may be, I find is a lot of hype and even though it may better than other polishes is probably not $15 more better

I think the packaging has a lot to do with the appeal of these products, if Saphir didn’t come in those shinu women cream glass bottles, the appeal probably wouldn’t be as high. It looks pretty and that’s probably a tax you’re paying for. No other polish or conditioner competitor makes their product in these type of packages.
Personal experience only, but Yes it is that much better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads