• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coffandcig

Reaction score
I have discovered a new (to me) Allen Edmonds I was unfamiliar with. It is the Winhall. I am trying to figure out what last these are?

I got these yesterday (from ebay) and conditioned them. I REALLY like them. I wear a semi-unusual size and these fit pretty well except they are little long.

View attachment 1293229 View attachment 1293230
There's a steampunk vibe that I dig on those.

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
If MacNeils are fuddy duddy I don’t want to be cool.

C8113D25-8E25-42E1-B807-6F49B98C92A8.jpeg

Nick V.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
That is usually the big factor in manufacturing. Sounds simple. Have the correct components for each shoe being made. Until you find out you do not have the correct component. At this point, you scramble for a workable substitute. One question that I do have is how does AE fit the Dainite sole for all the width configurations that American shoes have? Especially the narrow sizes. I stopped buying English made shoes because I wear a B and sometimes an A width. English fittings are usually wider than a D width to start with.

I have very little knowledge/experience with the inner workings of factory manufacturing. However, years ago I hired several retired people that were managers in high-end shoe factories. It was always interesting to hear their experiences. I was told that the factories employed crews of people called "pickers". Their job was to pick the correct components/sizes for specific tasks and give them to the assembly workers. I have no idea if this practice is still being used but if it is all you would have to do is give the picker(s) a schedule of what size sole to use with specific styles and sizes shoe/boot. The rest of it falls on the people managing inventory. Doesn't seem difficult to me at all. You just need to be conscious and make sure that you have what you need. That takes a lot less effort and is much more productive than having to scramble for a workable substitute.

Regarding fitting a Dainite sole.
I took a size 9 Dainite sole to use for this example. It measures 12 1/2 inches long. At it's widest point it measures 4 3/4 wide. The stud patten measures 5 1/4 L X 3 1/4 W. The border with no studs measures 3/4 of an inch at it's narrowest point. The border (width) at it's widest point measures 1 3/8 of an inch. At the toe the border is 7/8 of an inch in length. As you can see by using one size sole as an example there is quite a bit of room around the sole to fit several lengths and widths of a specific model shoe/boot.
The most popular sizes of Dainite soles are 9,10,11 and,12. I can't answer how AE does their fitting but as you can see you can fit a Dainite sole on almost any size shoe.

Nobleprofessor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A demonstration of patina. Natty should be the lightest color of shell, right? Side by side of whiskey LWB with natty LWB. The natty is on the right and is 2 years old. The whiskey has yet to be worn.

View attachment 1293300

Both are fantastic! I REALLY want a pair of the whiskey Shell!

Lionel Hutz

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Another wet morning but it looks like we might get a day's rest from our current deluge in NorCal.

Black "AE by Allen Edmonds" New Haven blucher. Also from 2014 and bought with Provo bluchers as the initial toe-dip into this whole fracas of footwear, they are a rubber-soled member of The Strategic Rain Reserves™.

The back-of-closet dust on them was funny enough to grab a pic as they rarely get pulled out.

aqPNn5B.jpg

qG1Dkvy.jpg

qZFqb1R.jpg

ij4hA8o.jpg

They brushed up fine. The rubber sole makes them super comfortable. But ...black. If they were any other color they'd get out a lot more but ultimately it's just another option with a 0/10 GAF rating for wet weather.

I am always fascinated by how you people get these side shots. I would like to see photos of you taking these photos

savvysartorial

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
View attachment 1293275

My grand daughter turned a week old yesterday so like any good grandfather I gave her a copy of the constitution and the federalists papers. I don’t want her relying on any other source. Carry on with shoes

What a great grandfather! It's funny, less than a month ago I bought myself a copy of the Federalist papers. Been so busy I haven't had a chance to read it yet :D

CMT1

Reaction score
I am always fascinated by how you people get these side shots. I would like to see photos of you taking these photos

Easily done with an iPhone and Watch using the remote camera/shutter function.

I use a DSLR on the ground/deck with a cable release to help lessen the contortion, but you can see from my pants riding up that I'm definitely bent forward. I used to shoot professionally in another life, but these days the gear only gets broken out for shoe and watch pics and whatever other useless material bullshit I'm shooting.

w8nnZz1.jpg

^ Harder. That stupid pose was all the rage for a while. I took a few, laughed its stupidity and moved on.

Remington Cashmere

Reaction score
What a great grandfather! It's funny, less than a month ago I bought myself a copy of the Federalist papers. Been so busy I haven't had a chance to read it yet :D

It’s written in the language of their time so not the easiest of reading but it does explain the what and why they wrote the constitution like they did. What an amazing group of men.

tcbinnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
View attachment 1293275

My grand daughter turned a week old yesterday so like any good grandfather I gave her a copy of the constitution and the federalists papers. I don’t want her relying on any other source. Carry on with shoes
Interesting. I am reading a book about the American patriots. Light reading compared to those but still good.

manowar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@ProfilaBinding I think the contrast edge dressing and laces update the Bartlett. Plus, it's technically a chiseled last, which you can faintly recognize in the toebox.

Need to see a video of this, I can't wrap my head around it.
I do the same thing. Oftentimes the insides of one shoe will have scuffs from the rubber soles of the other.

Over on the Alden thread, the Mayor proposed a shoe "Family Portrait" event for December (open to all brands, not just Alden). I posted mine over there, and as it turns out, I have twice as many AEs as Aldens in the family at the moment, so I thought I'd post it here, too:

View attachment 1293222

Top to bottom; left to right:

AE Fenway
AE Brown CXL Higgins Mill
AE Nubuck Surrey Chukka
AE Tan Sonoma Surrey Cap-Toe
Viberg x DR Oiled Mocha Rowdy Horsebutt Service Boot
Grant Stone Dark Walnut CXL Diesel

Rancourt Natty CXL Driving Moc
AE Hopkinson
AE Mackenzie
AE Black Cherry Shell Bristol
Alden x B+M Unlined Color 8 Dover
Alden x Leffot Blue Suede NST

Brooks Brothers Tassel Loafer
Alden Color 8 Traditional Saddle
Grant Stone Bourbon Suede LWB
Alden Burnished Tan Calfskin LHS
AE Navy/Brown Boulder
Meccariello Castagna Box Calf Decurion 3

And, by way of contrast (and in tribute to the rabbit hole), my family portrait from 8 months ago:

View attachment 1293223

Left to right:

Bostonian Cap-Toe Oxford (since donated to St. Vincent's)
Alden Color 8 Traditional Saddle
Allen Edmonds Mackenzie
Brooks Brothers Tassel Loafer
AE Navy/Brown Boulder
AE Nubuck Surrey Chukka
AE Brown CXL Higgins Mill

The color on those Vibergs is outstanding!

I have discovered a new (to me) Allen Edmonds I was unfamiliar with. It is the Winhall. I am trying to figure out what last these are?

I got these yesterday (from ebay) and conditioned them. I REALLY like them. I wear a semi-unusual size and these fit pretty well except they are little long.

View attachment 1293229 View attachment 1293230
LOL, my first impression was of a four-legged gentleman.

Another wet morning but it looks like we might get a day's rest from our current deluge in NorCal.

Black "AE by Allen Edmonds" New Haven blucher. Also from 2014 and bought with Provo bluchers as the initial toe-dip into this whole fracas of footwear, they are a rubber-soled member of The Strategic Rain Reserves™.

The back-of-closet dust on them was funny enough to grab a pic as they rarely get pulled out.

aqPNn5B.jpg

qG1Dkvy.jpg

qZFqb1R.jpg

ij4hA8o.jpg

They brushed up fine. The rubber sole makes them super comfortable. But ...black. If they were any other color they'd get out a lot more but ultimately it's just another option with a 0/10 GAF rating for wet weather.
You gave those shoes a remarkable amount of character with those shots. It's a good look, and I am agreed that black is harder to pull off casually. Though I am actually wearing black heritage boots today which is unusual.

A demonstration of patina. Natty should be the lightest color of shell, right? Side by side of whiskey LWB with natty LWB. The natty is on the right and is 2 years old. The whiskey has yet to be worn.

View attachment 1293300

Both look excellent. I wonder if there is residual chili polish on the brush you use for the natty shoe? I keep one "polish free" brush for my CXL leathers.

p.s. Does anyone else find the "auto backspace" feature on this forum annoying? Type a certain-lettered word then hit backspace the same number of times, and the preceding space will also be deleted. :censored:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads