• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

armedferret

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Re: the Dainite soles, how many sizes do they come in? I ask because depending on how precise the sizes are, and the shape of the last, it may be difficult to avoid the divot on all size/last combinations. Not apologizing for AE here (recently had a lot of QA issues on a pair that is being evaluated), but not sure what the art of possible is on the Dainite soles.

I can only speak to the ones i've personally handled, but the side where the stitch wasnt through the stud had an easy 1" gap from the outer diameter of the area of the stud (the circular divot that surrounds it) to the actual stitches. Possibly more. "Moving" the sole 1/2" that direction would have kept stitching off the stud on both sides easily. It was very obviously "off center".

With you that theyre not a likely "perfect match" every time, but they can certainly avoid a lot of issues if they just take a few extra seconds to align them.

I sent that as a constructive feedback to PW. Whether they pay attention to it is totally up to them. I've done my part. ;)

tcbinnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If it's any consolation that's a consistent thing across the AE line. The weatherproof Daltons I recently reviewed (and returned) had the same issue on one of the soles.

I know it's nitpicky, but come on folks. It would take an extra, what, three seconds or so to align the sole better before stitching and trim?

Just seems like a lot of the passion is gone from the crafters. /shrug
I happen to agree. This and some other examples we've seen here are in my opinion just not acceptable.

jet-stream

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What, these old things?
70485CF9-A973-427D-A364-B7A0EF2948C5.jpeg

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Re: the Dainite soles, how many sizes do they come in? I ask because depending on how precise the sizes are, and the shape of the last, it may be difficult to avoid the divot on all size/last combinations. Not apologizing for AE here (recently had a lot of QA issues on a pair that is being evaluated), but not sure what the art of possible is on the Dainite soles.
Dainite makes 10 different sole sizes in English sizing. Plus 10 heels. So if you are making a 10D. You use a 9 sole. If you don’t have a 9, you can substitute a 10 but here is where lining up the studs becomes more difficult. Ever seen a shoe with two different size heels? That is because the left shoe did not know what the right shoe was doing.

woofmang

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Opinions, please...

I have a pair of Hopkinsons in 9E that fit me great.

There's a pair of the leftover Bartletts in Brown in 9.5D for $249; do you think they might work for me? (I do have a pair of stretchers...)

ProfilaBinding

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Opinions, please...

I have a pair of Hopkinsons in 9E that fit me great.

There's a pair of the leftover Bartletts in Brown in 9.5D for $249; do you think they might work for me? (I do have a pair of stretchers...)

Do you wear anything else on the 65 in 9.5 D? It might be worth a shot.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Seriously?
They’re only including one bag for two shoes?
When did this start?
After AE was purchased by Calares, last year. A lot of people don't care if there are bags or not, we here care, but we are minority of shoe buying public. We may be more knowledgeable, spend more money per capita, but a small portion of the shoe buying public, so the fact that we like 2shoe bags for 2 shoes is of no concern to AE.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I was speaking of overseas garment factories. There are niches in this country but large scale production has many obstacles in this country.
While we are willing to purchase US made shoes I believe we are a very small percentage of consumers when it comes just how much the average person will pay for a garment.
Another huge issue is finding US employees interested in working in a sewing facility. Those skills are almost completely a thing of the past. Even the knowledge base (manufacturing) is disappearing as senior people retire. Unfortunately there has to be demand and that is assuming the quality of a US garment is equal to overseas garments. Denim is a niche. Shoes. Some socks. Our mill output is slowly increasing but apparel output is still very, very small. I wish it was different but that is the current reality.
In looking through my closet, 90% of the clothing I have (outside of jeans) is MTM in USA, by American workers. I, for one, would prefer to have my clothing made here, but then I wear MTM for anything other than casual wear. Hell, when my wife retires in a few months, I'm going to have her teach me how to sew my own shirts and trousers, from patterns, just like people used to do........

aero25

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are Jr soles more slippery than dainite?
While JR soles are a preferred leather sole for wear and comfort reasons, their traction performance is still that of a typical leather sole.

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads