• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

minimal1

Reaction score
Did you order from the website? You had to opt in on bags for a while; I don't know if they went back to provide a bag with every order.
Also, if they're seconds you won't get bags
”new” shoes from the website. From a store judging on the beat to hell box, minor creasing in spots, and light scratches. Second pair like that.

OK, on the bag thing, EVERY PAIR OF HIGH END SHOES SHOUD COME WITH BAGS FOR EACH SHOE/BOOT. Seconds or not

truth. Lesser shoes provide them, its kind of a joke that they go out like this. My first pair looked like they had been stepped on as they had a large horizontal crease below the eyelets. Not a great first experience.

mreams99

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately, Mono bag is akin to useless, as boots/shoes rub against each other (or can). Looks good, but one should use 2 bags per pair. And we DON'T NEED TO OPEN THE SHOE BAG DISCUSSION AGAIN, as it's be talked about at length here in the last few months.
Seriously?
They’re only including one bag for two shoes?
When did this start?

ptfly

Reaction score
I'm glad to hear that people are investigating working conditions, hopefully this applies to overseas plants as well. Now to bring back garment industry to USA!!!!!
I was speaking of overseas garment factories. There are niches in this country but large scale production has many obstacles in this country.
While we are willing to purchase US made shoes I believe we are a very small percentage of consumers when it comes just how much the average person will pay for a garment.
Another huge issue is finding US employees interested in working in a sewing facility. Those skills are almost completely a thing of the past. Even the knowledge base (manufacturing) is disappearing as senior people retire. Unfortunately there has to be demand and that is assuming the quality of a US garment is equal to overseas garments. Denim is a niche. Shoes. Some socks. Our mill output is slowly increasing but apparel output is still very, very small. I wish it was different but that is the current reality.

Last edited:

ProfilaBinding

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just pay the $1.97 for the old style shoebags that come in pairs.

Are they still offering this? I'm not seeing it on the site.

@mreams99 Sometime last summer I noticed I was receiving one big grey bag instead of two bags.

@audog What color are your Rothsay's?

@aero25 What time zone are you in? It's only 4:37 out here.

Last edited:

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

@mreams99 Sometime last summer I noticed I was receiving one big grey bag instead of two bags.

712.gif
EssentialLinearChinesecrocodilelizard-size_restricted.gif
giphy.gif

aero25

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As to the catalog I just got, I don't like Dainite soles, but DAMN those Shell HM's are looking better and better. Maybe I should put the wine in the fridge and not think about them, don't need to "drunk" order a pair of HM's on a sole I don't like..............
I'll point out that you can easily order with a sole change, just as I did.
DSC_4391.JPG

I am presently aligned with the Mountain time zone since my State did one rational thing by ignoring daylight savings time.

jet-stream

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The "that'll do" attitude may be coming from upper management, sure....but if the folks doing actual construction are letting it get to them, then it still reflects upon them as well. It's a shame, for sure.

Letting a pair here or there get thru for the main lines is one thing, but a "special order" "twice a year" offering ought to be constructed with at least a little more attention to detail. Especially at the price point.

If that were the only thing I'd just rock it and press on, and worry about a more competent resole from someone other than the factory when the time came.

The boots i reviewed also had significant color splotching that, regardless of the sole, definitely didn't indicate paying first-quality price for.

Just a reason to avoid dainite it would seem, since that's the one they have issues aligning. From what I've seen leather soles are fine (not that there's really any "aligning" to do since they're quite oversized and don't have things like studs to worry about). Maybe it's the actual soles they have and the machinery being used, dunno. Could be a number of things, and if every dainite sole (or a significant number of them) is affected, then that may be something the company wants to look into.

I mean Taft and Meermin have both proved that it's not difficult to properly align a sole at a much lower price point.

#pickingnits :hide:

Re: the Dainite soles, how many sizes do they come in? I ask because depending on how precise the sizes are, and the shape of the last, it may be difficult to avoid the divot on all size/last combinations. Not apologizing for AE here (recently had a lot of QA issues on a pair that is being evaluated), but not sure what the art of possible is on the Dainite soles.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads