• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

armedferret

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

savvysartorial

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Grant Stone?

I think so, yes. It's now been answered :)

audog beat me to it, but yes, these are the Grant Stone bourbon suede long wings that are currently marked down for their black friday sale. I was unable to resist them.

Ugh that is exactly the model I want you weasel! :crackup:

darkclassic

Reaction score
I have to agree on this, I might do business with them, were I to live in Minneapolis area, but won't do e-commerce as they don't make it very easy. Guys like Ealdwine in Raleigh (couple of SF dudes) came out of the box with a good e-commerce website at their inception last fall, so they get my business. I have done business with Andover shop, J.Press, and Stockton before, so may again, but I'm kind of landlocked in the middle of nowhere, 2.5 hrs to downtown Chicago, 2 hrs to downtown Indianapolis, 3 hrs to downtown St. Louis, and no decent menswear shop around here, so most of my stuff is done via internet now. I do have a MTM guy near Minneapolis, but he and I met in person a few years ago and he got my measurements, which thankfully haven't changed (benefit of getting older) so I have trousers/ shirts and if I need them suits, made by him. Sometimes I wish I lived in a major metropolitan area, to make access to decent menswear easier, but then I look out my back window and see the creek and lake and trees and..............

Twill is owned by Scott Dayton - of Dayton's dept store fame. They were quite a big deal for decades through the late 80s selling out to Marshall Fields and finally Macys. Scott is no stranger to the retail business so I suspect the lack of online presence is a calculated choice here. Twill's brick and mortar store is also located in a fairly affluent location a couple doors down from one of MN's AE stores coincidentally.

I replied to @St Hubbins as I was unaware Twill even did special makeups after walking past the storefront (and looking online). The few Alden's in the front window are the usual casual offerings.

Agree 100% on Ealdwine's approach, I am a repeat customer and highly recommend them. Really nice option for those of us that aren't in a metro area. Any AE guys looking to branch out should definitely reach out to Matt or Jim at Ealdwine.

Are you willing to share who your MTM guy is in MN?

cardigan4 112119.jpg

Crockett & Jones Cardigan 4 roughout

savvysartorial

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Twill is owned by Scott Dayton - of Dayton's dept store fame. They were quite a big deal for decades through the late 80s selling out to Marshall Fields and finally Macys. Scott is no stranger to the retail business so I suspect the lack of online presence is a calculated choice here. Twill's brick and mortar store is also located in a fairly affluent location a couple doors down from one of MN's AE stores coincidentally.

I replied to @St Hubbins as I was unaware Twill even did special makeups after walking past the storefront (and looking online). The few Alden's in the front window are the usual casual offerings.

Agree 100% on Ealdwine's approach, I am a repeat customer and highly recommend them. Really nice option for those of us that aren't in a metro area. Any AE guys looking to branch out should definitely reach out to Matt or Jim at Ealdwine.

View attachment 1284325

Very nice. How do these fit compared to AE? I've been mulling over their Pembroke in shell but I want to be 100% sure on the fit. As @ProfilaBinding said, you can order directly from a store to save money as well.

tcbinnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes they are Grant Stone, he posted them on GS thread as well.
They are very nice. Good thing GS doesn't offer 3E widths! lol. There is always TS2020.1 though, so...

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

View attachment 1284325
MTM guy is named, and this IS his name: Kingford Bavender
website is here: https://www.bavender.com

ProfilaBinding

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Was about to step out of an elevator this morning when some young woman started marching in. There were several of us in the elevator and I politely told her, "you should wait for people to exit before entering." Is it just me, or is there a serious lack of public etiquette / public manners these days?

Anyway, it's a beautiful day out here with rare clean air. Walton for today.

matwa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Was about to step out of an elevator this morning when some young woman started marching in. There were several of us in the elevator and I politely told her, "you should wait for people to exit before entering." Is it just me, or is there a serious lack of public etiquette / public manners these days?

Anyway, it's a beautiful day out here with rare clean air. Walton for today.

Old man sensibilities and old man shoes....

;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads