• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

EZB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would suggest the same - AE’s polish doesn’t seem to have much pigment and I’ve had almost instant success when I’ve tried Saphir’s version.

For walnut, I think they have a light brown that would work well, specifically in the
saphir medaille d'or polish. But you have to pronounce it with in an over exaggerated French accent to get it to work.

If you pronounce it properly, you can also refer to it as sovereign grade

woofmang

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would suggest the same - AE’s polish doesn’t seem to have much pigment and I’ve had almost instant success when I’ve tried Saphir’s version.

For walnut, I think they have a light brown that would work well, specifically in the
saphir medaille d'or polish. But you have to pronounce it with in an over exaggerated French accent to get it to work.
C'est ça!

ProfilaBinding

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I once spilled a bunch of AE walnut cream polish into my walnut Leeds shoes many years back. If you put a huge blob of that stuff on your shoes, it will stain them permanently. I don't recommend this approach, but it can work. Saphir is probably a better way to go. Maybe try applying the polish while the conditioner is still damp on the shoe? Sometimes that helps.

St Hubbins

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That store is in the Twin Cities (about an hour away from me). Never been there but wasn't aware they even did special makeups. Congrats on them, very nice.
Thanks I’m excited. Apparently Twill does one custom makeup per “season.” I’ll assume that means fashion season and therefore two per year. I was tipped off on this model otherwise I would have never known about them.

savvysartorial

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What are people's thoughts on a dark(er) brown suede longwing with wool dress pants for business under anything short of a suit?

Genericuser1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hello Woofmang--

Thanks for chiming in. I have put on 15 applications now of the cream polish, and the "spot" just isn't going away. (It isn't a scuff, per se--it's an area where much of the color has worn off, but it feels perfectly smooth to the touch.)

I called a guy from work who is a shoe fanatic and ex-military, and he says sometimes you need to use a darker color polish for areas where the dye has worn off...
Looks to me like the burnishing has been rubbed off. You can either remove all the burnishing from the cap or try with a darker polish. I'd say medium brown and if that doesn't work you have to remove and then build up with darker polishes.

The walnut color in the AE shoe cream polish is the same color as the unburnished part of your shoe so it won't do much to hide scuffs on the cap or heel.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
LOL, excellent reference to Biblical figures! You are a well rounded man.

1 year?? That's crazy talk, why such a long wait for a regular shoe?

I have a pretty average foot so I am lucky to have my run of the place choosing which shoe/last combo I want in the closet. I feel for guys like you.
A year is a bit long, even for Alden, but NOT unheard of with them (it's happened to me...in fact when I got notice of them being ready, I had forgotten I pre-ordered them 11 months before :) )

savvysartorial

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No issue with criss cross lacing just if you are going to go with the bar on top at the first eyelet row the lace needs to go in from above on all rows following. The way it is now it looks like a giant space between first and second row. As far as vamps and all that jazz and caps etc Alden does them better except the strand. I no longer have fifth aves or PAs. Alden got nothing on the adelaides though. Rutledge and Cornwallis FTW.

Had to think about it for a second but I get what you mean now! I'll have to swap it out before wearing.

I need to try the Cornwallis again. I felt like the 11 was too short and the 11.5 still was too aggressive in the taper for my feet. It's the one style that's not in my closet but should be.

I'd do it all day long

Maaan you're tempting me. I'm going to have to consult the wife about this one.... Not style wise, just money wise! ?

‘yes I used to wear dark brown suede captoe oxfords with slacks and even blue suits and it was a great combination. Still looking for a replacement pair of dark brown suede bluchers or captoes.

I'm sweating real bad thinking about it.... :uhoh:

I can feel my wallet itching to escape again!

WEASELS!!!

A year is a bit long, even for Alden, but NOT unheard of with them (it's happened to me...in fact when I got notice of them being ready, I had forgotten I pre-ordered them 11 months before :) )

Hahaha well that's when you know you have too many shoes and things on order when they slip your mind!

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Thanks I’m excited. Apparently Twill does one custom makeup per “season.” I’ll assume that means fashion season and therefore two per year. I was tipped off on this model otherwise I would have never known about them.
Their website is a bit "lacking".

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Had to think about it for a second but I get what you mean now! I'll have to swap it out before wearing.

I need to try the Cornwallis again. I felt like the 11 was too short and the 11.5 still was too aggressive in the taper for my feet. It's the one style that's not in my closet but should be.

Maaan you're tempting me. I'm going to have to consult the wife about this one.... Not style wise, just money wise! ?

I'm sweating real bad thinking about it.... :uhoh:

I can feel my wallet itching to escape again!

WEASELS!!!

Hahaha well that's when you know you have too many shoes and things on order when they slip your mind!
It is verification that at times I DO have too many shoes/boots/clothing on order and they do slip my mind. I have made a conscious effort to pare down this past year (and I now keep a spreadsheet of pre-order things). Currently have 2 boots, and a couple pair of MTM pants and shirts and that is all, for me that's paring down.

savvysartorial

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It is verification that at times I DO have too many shoes/boots/clothing on order and they do slip my mind. I have made a conscious effort to pare down this past year (and I now keep a spreadsheet of pre-order things). Currently have 2 boots, and a couple pair of MTM pants and shirts and that is all, for me that's paring down.

Sometimes I've ordered things from different places (clothes, etc.) and forget they're coming in and what I've done as well. You're in good company :p

Hey, you have to start somewhere!!

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Sometimes I've ordered things from different places (clothes, etc.) and forget they're coming in and what I've done as well. You're in good company :p

Hey, you have to start somewhere!!
I would guess that, here on SF, it's more common than not. However in the general populace, it seems insane to actually pre-order something, or have it made to measure, and wait. I have ZERO friends who have actually had something made for them, to their measurements, and/or pre-ordered shoes or boots. That's why I love you guys here on SF, you all "get it"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads