• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Those are very nice - I have been eyeing for some time as they have dipped in and out of clearance..

attached is a clip photo of my new not-yet-maidened oxblood pair.

very very different colour - almost a mix of coffee/chili than oxblood

View attachment 1283938
That looks more like the oxblood I'm used to seeing; maybe a bit more brown than pinkish.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Also ready for @audog top 5 AE boot submission
Here are some photo's I found, surprisingly I didn't list any Caen or Normandy boots in the top 5, although I really really like both Caen and Normandy. My favorite AE boot of all time is the Eagle County, and I regret not getting it in other leathers.

Attachments

• IMG_1692 2.jpg
    IMG_1692 2.jpg
    238.4 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_1709 2.jpg
    IMG_1709 2.jpg
    213.1 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_1892.jpg
    IMG_1892.jpg
    200.5 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_1672.jpg
    IMG_1672.jpg
    193.4 KB · Views: 25

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
WAIT WHAT??? You're telling me this ISN'T the Strand model? I explicitly requested the guys at the Alden Edmonds store in NY ship these shoes to me. Looks like I'm going to have to do a chargeback on the credit because of those blaggards at that darn shop. :hide::stirpot:

Thank you, I really love the Hampton last. I had been after a Strand (for years) but got fed up with AE's lack of availability sometime last year... So these were born. :D

Even on the Alden thread, we rarely see balmorals (as you probably know).... You're more likely to see a rare shell model (boot) than a balmoral over yonder. Doing my levelheaded best to keep the wolves at bay for dressy styles. ?:bigstar:

I would also been very happy with some shell Strands, but I have fit issues with the 65 last. The Hampton works better for me. Something to note for those in my situation with high instep and wide feet. But I would urge you really try to make the 65 last work for you in some combination of length and width if at all possible. The wait times for Alden shoes to be ordered, made and delivered requires the patience of Job. For example, 12/1/19 will be the one YEAR anniversary of an order I made for a scotch grain perfed cap toe shoe. Not shell. Not hand stitched. Nothing "rare or special." Just one year of waiting for a fully paid for shoe to arrive and there are others who have waited much longer for special orders. So, stick with the readily available AE if possible.

Last edited:

LuxLemon

Reaction score
That looks more like the oxblood I'm used to seeing; maybe a bit more brown than pinkish.

OK good to know. I actually probably like the colour more than what I’ve seen for Oxblood on the AE site and think with the toned down colour it fits my style more.

that being said I’m considering getting either Oxblood AE polish or perhaps burgundy Saphir to see how it looks.Typically I’ve just stayed with the recommended polish.

CommanderMcBragg

Reaction score
Gentlemen:

I just received my $60 worth of polishing products from Allen Edmonds, and I figured I would start right in with my Strand oxfords.

Starting with the right shoe that has scuffing issues on the toe, I brushed the shoe with the horsehair AE brush, and then applied Bick 4 conditioner. Once it dried, I applied the AE Walnut polish with a cotton rag, let dry, and then buffed with a horsehair brush. I have repeated the polish application process four times, but yet the scuff area on the toe is just as visible as when I started.

What am I doing wrong?

Attachments

• IMG_7348-1.jpeg
    IMG_7348-1.jpeg
    190.2 KB · Views: 23

savvysartorial

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would also been very happy with some shell Strands, but I have fit issues with the 65 last. The Hampton works better for me. Something to note for those in my situation with high instep and wide feet. But I would urge you really try to make the 65 last work for you in some combination of length and width if at all possible. The wait times for Alden shoes to be ordered, made and delivered requires the patience of Job. For example, 12/1/19 will be the one YEAR anniversary of an order I made for a scotch grain perfed cap toe shoe. Not shell. Not hand stitched. Nothing "rare or special." Just one year of waiting for a fully paid for shoe to arrive and there are others who have waited much longer for special orders. So, stick with the readily available AE if possible.

LOL, excellent reference to Biblical figures! You are a well rounded man.

1 year?? That's crazy talk, why such a long wait for a regular shoe?

I have a pretty average foot so I am lucky to have my run of the place choosing which shoe/last combo I want in the closet. I feel for guys like you.

lemmy127

Reaction score
Is that a pooper shot?!?!

I agree on the Dalton (being off) and McAllister (being good). That Alden last is a no-go for me; give me the 65.

Haha, that’s a sitting area in the top landing of a flight of stairs shot.

Apropos of your last paragraph, don't forget that the 0.01% of the population that wears your sizes can be found right here on this here thread! :thumbs-up: ('cept for that Hampton last)
Not mentioning anyone in puticaler.
This has been a public service announcement

I’m fully aware of you and the one (?) other of us here (sorry, your username is escaping me right now) mreams99. You two can expect PMs before I list anything on eBay.

Last edited:

M635Guy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I did the same upgrade. Delivery notice says they are home waiting for me on the porch. Any idea if the nubuck is pre-treated for water? I have a ton of rain in the forecast tomorrow and reaaaaly want to wear them.

I forgot you and I are the same size and we apparently have more similar taste in shoes than I realized with your order and the stuff you have listed for sale. Surprised to see McT's and 93605's on your list.

To answer your question, I don't know, but I'm not planning to worry much about nubuck in the rain. ;)

M2511

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If it were time to resole, it would make sense, maybe.

I saw that video on the GYW change.

Yes. It's kind of nice to be able to ask questions about style, etc. here. Not so strait laced.

Don't worry, I am not that guy on the lacing. I presume you're referring to cross versus bar lacing.

I always wear once, maybe twice when new with cross lacing to break them in and settle the shoe and then switch to bar lacing. Bar lacing = king for balmorals.

I don't want to get evicted from this thread, but I agree with your sentiment on the shoes ;) What a coincidence to be wearing that pair today. It's the only iteration I've seen of the 9854 on here.

That being said, some of AE's offerings like the Fifth Street boot knock it out of the park and no one can touch it for the money. I can't wait to get my hands on them and pound the pavement in them.

Also, I agree with the vamp space comment and I've said as much in the past regarding the Fifth Avenue versus Alden's 9016/9015. Even in my size, 11, the caps just look a bit too stubby. Alden hits it right on the dimensions.

I also wish AE make the Jefferson 1.0 (65 last) still as I think the wings on that shoe really hit the proportions just right and it was a kingly shoe.

The waiting game on Alden's shoes is absurd, but I get it since it's basically a very, very small company. I am in the same boat as you for waiting on odd sizes and trying to pick up deals used isn't the easiest either.

Alden's medallion is more formal as medallions go and is very attractive, to me.

My two cents, not trying to start a food fight.
No issue with criss cross lacing just if you are going to go with the bar on top at the first eyelet row the lace needs to go in from above on all rows following. The way it is now it looks like a giant space between first and second row. As far as vamps and all that jazz and caps etc Alden does them better except the strand. I no longer have fifth aves or PAs. Alden got nothing on the adelaides though. Rutledge and Cornwallis FTW.

woofmang

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gentlemen:

I just received my $60 worth of polishing products from Allen Edmonds, and I figured I would start right in with my Strand oxfords.

Starting with the right shoe that has scuffing issues on the toe, I brushed the shoe with the horsehair AE brush, and then applied Bick 4 conditioner. Once it dried, I applied the AE Walnut polish with a cotton rag, let dry, and then buffed with a horsehair brush. I have repeated the polish application process four times, but yet the scuff area on the toe is just as visible as when I started.

What am I doing wrong?
Did you brush after the conditioner dried, let them sit for a bit and wipe off any excess conditioner before going to the cream polish (you did use cream polish, right)?

I would do it this way: apply conditioner to the shoes, let them dry for a good 10 minutes or more, brush them good, let them sit for another 5 - 10 minutes, wipe them down with a clean cotton cloth (to remove any excess conditioner), apply colored cream polish (adding a little extra over the scuffs and really working it in), let dry for 10 minutes, brush, let sit for 5 more, wipe off any excess polish, apply another coat of cream polish (adding a little extra over the scuffs and really working it in), let sit for another 10, brush, wipe down, add a little more cream polish over the scuffs if necessary, let sit, brush, wipe, and then put on a coat or two of paste polish.

Here's a before and after of my Walnut Mackenzies that I did like that (note the scuffs on the left toe in the before shot - not as bad as what you're looking at, but they're gone in the after shot):

Before:
left-before.jpg

After:
left-after.jpg

M635Guy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Greetings, fellow enthusiasts. I wore some AEs this week. Here they are.

View attachment 1283500

View attachment 1283502

First up, Grailsons. For those unfamiliar, that means natural shell Graysons. J Crew 770 broken in chinos, Lands’ End OCBD and merino v-neck, Banana Republic MiUSA belt (not pictured), Schott NYC tweed car coat.

View attachment 1283501

View attachment 1283503

Tuesday. Brown CXL Higgins Mills with new darker green LL Bean five pocket cords, Lands’ End chambray shirt and donegal lambswool sweater, AE Central Ave belt, Schott NYC tweed car coat.

Also, I bought a pair of boots today. Hoping I like them because they cost me a pretty penny.

View attachment 1283504
Reverse tobacco chamois Indy boots.
Dood - reverse chamois Indys...
9nNocB.gif

CommanderMcBragg

Reaction score
Hello Woofmang--

Thanks for chiming in. I have put on 15 applications now of the cream polish, and the "spot" just isn't going away. (It isn't a scuff, per se--it's an area where much of the color has worn off, but it feels perfectly smooth to the touch.)

I called a guy from work who is a shoe fanatic and ex-military, and he says sometimes you need to use a darker color polish for areas where the dye has worn off...

AJ1

Reaction score
Wow those Indy’s are nice. Who’s make up?

Greetings, fellow enthusiasts. I wore some AEs this week. Here they are.

View attachment 1283500

View attachment 1283502

First up, Grailsons. For those unfamiliar, that means natural shell Graysons. J Crew 770 broken in chinos, Lands’ End OCBD and merino v-neck, Banana Republic MiUSA belt (not pictured), Schott NYC tweed car coat.

View attachment 1283501

View attachment 1283503

Tuesday. Brown CXL Higgins Mills with new darker green LL Bean five pocket cords, Lands’ End chambray shirt and donegal lambswool sweater, AE Central Ave belt, Schott NYC tweed car coat.

Also, I bought a pair of boots today. Hoping I like them because they cost me a pretty penny.

View attachment 1283504
Reverse tobacco chamois Indy boots.

ELClodge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hello Woofmang--

Thanks for chiming in. I have put on 15 applications now of the cream polish, and the "spot" just isn't going away. (It isn't a scuff, per se--it's an area where much of the color has worn off, but it feels perfectly smooth to the touch.)

I called a guy from work who is a shoe fanatic and ex-military, and he says sometimes you need to use a darker color polish for areas where the dye has worn off...

I would suggest the same - AE’s polish doesn’t seem to have much pigment and I’ve had almost instant success when I’ve tried Saphir’s version.

For walnut, I think they have a light brown that would work well, specifically in the
saphir medaille d'or polish. But you have to pronounce it with an over exaggerated French accent to get it to work.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads