• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

savvysartorial

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Another addition to the closet. I've been sitting on these for a few months since I lost my job and haven't gotten around to wearing them. They'll be in action soon. I didn't bother to brush the bloom away, so enjoy a bit of bloomy goodness!

I've been after this particular pair for a while and I had to wait since I am not a non-stock size; well worth it. One of my favorite designs and lasts to knock it out of the park!

Big thanks to AoM for their (always) excellent service! I know the good Doctor @smfdoc has a slightly different pair and @mdubs had a pair a while ago.

Alden model 9854, one that I haven't seen on these pages.

DSC00141.JPG
DSC00143.JPG
DSC00144.JPG
DSC00145.JPG

aero25

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Another addition to the closet. I've been sitting on...

Very cool shoes. I think the reason you haven't seen them on these pages is, and I'm not sure how to tell you this, but this isn't the Alden thread. ;) :lol:

savvysartorial

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Very cool shoes. I think the reason you haven't seen them on these pages is, and I'm not sure how to tell you this, but this isn't the Alden thread. ;) :lol:

WAIT WHAT??? You're telling me this ISN'T the Strand model? I explicitly requested the guys at the Alden Edmonds store in NY ship these shoes to me. Looks like I'm going to have to do a chargeback on the credit because of those blaggards at that darn shop. :hide::stirpot:

Thank you, I really love the Hampton last. I had been after a Strand (for years) but got fed up with AE's lack of availability sometime last year... So these were born. :D

Even on the Alden thread, we rarely see balmorals (as you probably know).... You're more likely to see a rare shell model (boot) than a balmoral over yonder. Doing my levelheaded best to keep the wolves at bay for dressy styles. ?:bigstar:

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Another addition to the closet. I've been sitting on these for a few months since I lost my job and haven't gotten around to wearing them. They'll be in action soon. I didn't bother to brush the bloom away, so enjoy a bit of bloomy goodness!

I've been after this particular pair for a while and I had to wait since I am not a non-stock size; well worth it. One of my favorite designs and lasts to knock it out of the park!

Big thanks to AoM for their (always) excellent service! I know the good Doctor @smfdoc has a slightly different pair and @mdubs had a pair a while ago.

View attachment 1283816 View attachment 1283817 View attachment 1283819 View attachment 1283820
They are a nice interpretation of the full oxford brogue, but Allen Edmonds beats basically everyone else's pattern. No one seems to realize that 5 eyelets are wrong; 6 eyelets are superior. 7 is a matter of preference. Adding that extra eyelet also helps reduce the vast blankness of the vamp. I have always felt they need to elongate the cap or lengthen the eyelet stays on other's patterns (back to the 6 eyelet). I will concede the 270 welt does make for a more elegant sole. Much prefer AE's Strand-allion to Alden's medallion as well. #NotMyFifthSt anyone?
Plus, Alden ain't selling you a 16AAAA!

LuxLemon

Reaction score
TS order update from yesterday’s visit to the Costa Mesa store: both pairs on their 2nd build. They’ll call me sometime in early December. I appreciate the QC and look forward to enjoying them. Excellent service and communication.

as for top 5. I checked my spreadsheet and apparently i have 30 “nice” pairs of shoes/boots, 20 of them AE. Currently i most like looking down and seeing these AE:
  • Brown CXL HM
  • Walnut Strand
  • Chili Grain Bradley
  • Brown Cashmere Grain Leeds
  • Oxblood MacNeil (just picked up yesterday and would have worn today but SoCal weather is rain)
i imagine my 2 pairs from TS get bumped to the top once i get them.

How red are your Oxblood? Did you get the clearance one or the newer version one? I believe they are trying new Oxblood leather based on conversation with @ae_ashley ?

armedferret

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They are a nice interpretation of the full oxford brogue, but Allen Edmonds beats basically everyone else's pattern. No one seems to realize that 5 eyelets are wrong; 6 eyelets are superior. 7 is a matter of preference.

*Laughs in Cleverley, G&G, C&J, and Carmina* :hide:

EZB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wow... Top 5 is so hard. I have the fifth street and dalton from TS19.2 still waiting to come in. Until then, my current top 5 (in no order):

1. McGregor, walnut calf
2. Strand, green shell, double JR, buff edge, split-reverse welt
3. First Ave, burgundy shell
4. Nomad, coffee calf
5. Spiaggia, white nubuck

ProfilaBinding

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No one seems to realize that 5 eyelets are wrong; 6 eyelets are superior. 7 is a matter of preference.

You're sure going to piss off a lot of people with that statement. :rotflmao:
I agree that 6 looks more balanced. 5 is fine though.

However, WHY is it that most other makers use 5 eyelets? Why is it that AE is the only one that uses 6 very heavily?

Last edited:

Vocans

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

/Puts on my "get off my lawn" hat

Never really understood the posting of unspoilered shoe pictures from other brands in the AE thread, especially when those brands have their own thread elsewhere on the forums. I think it ultimately only adds clutter to an already fast moving thread and probably confuses the newbies, especially when they aren't properly labelled.

savvysartorial

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They are a nice interpretation of the full oxford brogue, but Allen Edmonds beats basically everyone else's pattern. No one seems to realize that 5 eyelets are wrong; 6 eyelets are superior. 7 is a matter of preference. Adding that extra eyelet also helps reduce the vast blankness of the vamp. I have always felt they need to elongate the cap or lengthen the eyelet stays on other's patterns (back to the 6 eyelet). I will concede the 270 welt does make for a more elegant sole. Much prefer AE's Strand-allion to Alden's medallion as well. #NotMyFifthSt anyone?
Plus, Alden ain't selling you a 16AAAA!

Interesting take on the eyelets. Alden has done 6 eyelets before, but they're all pretty old shoes as you said. I kind of like the 5 eyelets and don't mind the vamp space, but I see your point.

Their 270 welt just really takes it up a notch; one of the things I wish AE did.... I know they made a model or two not too long ago with 270 welts. Even the Barrie looks svelte with a 270. I presume you could switch to a 270 welt upon recrafting 3rd party?

The Strand's medallion is certainly there, large and in charge! I don't feel so bad about having duplicate shoe styles since it's a different take on the same shoe.... Laughs in @BFT9000

16 4A and AE takes the cake for any foot, any time, anywhere!

savvysartorial

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You're sure going to piss off a lot of people with that statement. :rotflmao:
I agree that 6 looks more balanced. 5 is fine though.

However, WHY is it that most other makers use 5 eyelets? Why is it that AE is the only one that uses 6 very heavily?

It is interesting that AE seems to stand alone in their use of 6 eyelets.

/Puts on my "get off my lawn" hat

Never really understood the posting of unspoilered shoe pictures from other brands in the AE thread, especially when those brands have their own thread elsewhere on the forums. I think it ultimately only adds clutter to an already fast moving thread and probably confuses the newbies, especially when they aren't properly labelled.

You have a point. Generally (for better or for worse) the AE thread has been the refuge for random style comments and the catchall for many things men's style; ultimately ending up with a love of AE shoes. Unlike the Alden thread which is very narrowly focused on Alden shoes only and possibly other shoe threads out there are the same way.

Thoughts?

They look nice. I came across those a few days ago. Did you bid?

Last edited:

armedferret

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why is it that AE is the only one that uses 6 very heavily?

This is why:

Take a room full of chimpanzees....say 10 of them. Place a step ladder in the middle of the room with some food (maybe bananas) hanging above the step ladder. The *ONLY* way to reach the bananas is the step ladder.

Eventually, one of them will attempt to grab the nanners. As soon as that chimpanzee does, you spray the other 9 with a fire hose. Violently.

Eventually, another will attempt to get the bananas. Maybe the same one. At any rate, you spray them again with the fire hose. Violently.

Eventually, another attempt will be made at the bananas. Only this time, the other chimpanzees know what's coming. They'll beat the EVER. LOVING. TAR. out of the chimp that tries it.

Now you replace one chimp with a fresh one that hasn't been in the room before.

That chimp will eventually try to get the bananas, and guess what? Yep, severe beating.

Over time, you replace each "original gangsta" chimpanzee with a fresh one until the room is full of 10 chimpanzees who have never been hit with the fire hose, yet they continue to beat the crap out of any chimp that attempts to grab the bananas, because that's just how it's always been done since they got there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads