• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

savvysartorial

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's as may be, but I'm willing to bet I act way younger than you actually are. :hide:

I think I have you both beat @Draconestra , however I think @armedferret takes the cake for class clown. :rotflmao:
Chance of rain means chance of University.

View attachment 1283243

This is the 333 last? Having never seen it in person, but only your photos it looks looks very similar to Alden's Plaza last with the chiseled toe and exaggerated ball to toe swing.

woofmang

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Maiden Voyage of the new Surrey Cap Toes:

20191119_surreys.jpg

savvysartorial

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1943 last

(pretty much the same as the 333)

Great, thanks for clearing it up for me. What is the difference? The 1943 is an updated last?

I forget, do you prefer 1943 over the 65 for fit or just like to play the field? (I know you own a few 65 lasted shoes...)

ProfilaBinding

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Great, thanks for clearing it up for me. What is the difference? The 1943 is an updated last?

I forget, do you prefer 1943 over the 65 for fit or just like to play the field? (I know you own a few 65 lasted shoes...)

The 43 is kind of like they took the 333 and chopped it down to Brannock length. It's one of AE's shortest lasts, in contrast to the 333, which was the longest I knew of in recent years. I prefer the 65 over the 43, because the 43 has a wider heel and waist. I prefer the 333 for the same reason. But I fit well into all three of these lasts, although they are wildly different.

woofmang

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Mini-review on the new Surrey Cap Toes:

They're pretty comfortable right out of the box; a little stiff, but that's to be expected from the commando sole.

The leather of the uppers is quite nice; soft and supple. The boots had a hang tag that said "Horween Weatherproof Sonoma Leather" (or something like that; it definitely said "Horween" and "Sonoma". I tried to find out more about this leather, but it's not listed on the Horween tannage list, so no luck so far).

Like the HM, they run big, width-wise, and maybe a bit short: I'm a Brannock 9.5 E, but I got these in the same size as my Higgies (10D; fitted in my local AE store when they had an SA that knew what he was doing); the length is perfect, and they're plenty wide.

The workmanship is a little iffy in spots (like many of their made in the DR products tend to be), but no major flaws or deal-breakers.

Overall, I like them a lot; I think they look good, they fit me well, and I'll bet that they're going to be super-comfortable once they break in (I also think they'll develop an awesome patina as time goes by).

One more pic (from the end of the day, including ugly office carpet):

20191119_surreys2.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 45 40.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 44 39.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 18 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 25 22.5%

Forum statistics

Threads