• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

armedferret

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A very nice combo to be sure! It should look great and "peacock" enough. I would have to google how to properly wear an ascot, but damn that looks nice.

Basically a four-in-hand directly around your neck with the top one or two buttons open on your shirt, and the ends stay inside the shirt.

Ascot-in-Dark-Blue-Buff-Red-Macclesfield-Silk-Fort-Belvedere-0144.jpg

mreams99

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Loden suede Dundee today.

42C4FF48-06B0-4CC2-BE5D-55D64E9B628E.jpeg

Non-shoe related:
I decided to try a leather band with my new Seiko. Someone last week said that when a leather band is worn with a dive watch, it looks best if it’s a simple band. I had a simple leather band — it was tan, and just didn’t look that great in my opinion. I wanted a band that had some dark brown and reddish hues to it, like the original NATO strap. Well, you know what that means.... I went to work with some leather dye.

Original NATO strap:
4D76AD48-A2DC-4345-ACA7-0FB279423190.jpeg

E79A8E93-CC4E-4A83-A1EE-51FD75554D70.jpeg

C9A2E9BA-1EBD-43B1-B3EB-E93076368135.jpeg

How does that combination look?

Last edited:

woofmang

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Great responses, but it would be better with pictures if you have them.
Here are mine (in alphabetical order):

Black Cherry Shell Bristols Scored from fellow SFer @Lmrjfud (via the bay), these vintage shell beauties are a sight to behold, and one of the most comfortable pairs of shoes I own:

20191108_bristols.jpg

Brown CXL Higgins Mills My first AEs and one of my all-time favorites, these are probably my most-worn footwear over the past +/- 2 years:

20191111_higgies.jpg

Navy/Brown Boulders My second pair of AEs and probably my second-most worn pair of 2019; super comfortable, rubber sole, sexy Venetian lines; what's not to like?

20191114_boulders.jpg

Surrey Chucksters My third pair of AEs, these are also super comfortable, nice Nubuck leather, and Commando-soled; a great casual boot:

20191026_surreys.jpg

Walnut Mackenzies Not sure what spot these take in order of acquisition, but they quickly became one of my favorites. I love the clean look of the whole cut, the medallion, the sole edges... just overall a great-looking shoe:

20191110_mackenzies.jpg

Edited to add (by special request from @vdubiv) a driveway shot of the Boulders:

20190803_boulders.jpg

(Special added bonus - since I'm assuming your nym means you're a VW enthusiast - that's my Golf R behind me in this shot. ;-D)

Last edited:

vdubiv

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here are mine (in alphabetical order):

Black Cherry Shell Bristols Scored from fellow SFer @Lmrjfud (via the bay), these vintage shell beauties are a sight to behold, and one of the most comfortable pairs of shoes I own:

View attachment 1282180

Brown CXL Higgins Mills My first AEs and one of my all-time favorites, these are probably my most-worn footwear over the past +/- 2 years:

View attachment 1282185

Navy/Brown Boulders My second pair of AEs and probably my second-most worn pair of 2019; super comfortable, rubber sole, sexy Venetian lines; what's not to like?

View attachment 1282186

Surrey Chucksters My third pair of AEs, these are also super comfortable, nice Nubuck leather, and Commando-soled; a great casual boot:

View attachment 1282188

Walnut Mackenzies Not sure what spot these take in order of acquisition, but they quickly became one of my favorites. I love the clean look of the whole cut, the medallion, the sole edges... just overall a great-looking shoe:

View attachment 1282190
Nice collection!
Needs driveway picture of the Boulders, just to keep with the theme!

Ashley_S

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hello gentlemen,

Our phones are still down in several locations (including my own), but many are restored. If you've been trying to contact your store over the last week, and have only been met with ringing on the other end, I'd ask you to email instead. That's always decent advice, but especially good advice currently.

I thought it might be useful to mention that I'll be taking some personal time beginning tomorrow, and extending through next Tuesday. Certainly feel free to message me still, but I may be slower to respond/a little more out of pocket than I usually am.

I hope you all have a lovely week!

schweezly

Reaction score
Brown waxed HM’s today. Wearing these a few times a week to help break them in quicker.

Does anyone know what length the laces that come with HM’s are? I might get some different laces but would prefer to get shorter ones. I think GG has like a 46” but not sure if that’s too short

F56D1B36-5382-4179-9AB3-DD7BE5B0DA3E.jpeg

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Loden suede Dundee today.

View attachment 1282178

Non-shoe related:
I decided to try a leather band with my new Seiko. Someone last week said that when a leather band is worn with a dive watch, it looks best if it’s a simple band. I had a simple leather band — it was tan, and just didn’t look that great in my opinion. I wanted a band that had some dark brown and reddish hues to it, like the original NATO strap. Well, you know what that means.... I went to work with some leather dye.

Original NATO strap:
View attachment 1282182

View attachment 1282183

View attachment 1282184

How is that combination look?
I like it and agree that Dive watches look better on either plain leather or NATO bands. Good job with the color dye.

pedarius

Reaction score
Brown waxed HM’s today. Wearing these a few times a week to help break them in quicker.

Does anyone know what length the laces that come with HM’s are? I might get some different laces but would prefer to get shorter ones. I think GG has like a 46” but not sure if that’s too short

View attachment 1282202
The Guarded Goods 48” braided laces are what I have on my Higgins Mills. They are long enough on size 13, but not as long as the AE stock laces. This may give you a rough idea (old pic):

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Hello gentlemen,

Our phones are still down in several locations (including my own), but many are restored. If you've been trying to contact your store over the last week, and have only been met with ringing on the other end, I'd ask you to email instead. That's always decent advice, but especially good advice currently.

I thought it might be useful to mention that I'll be taking some personal time beginning tomorrow, and extending through next Tuesday. Certainly feel free to message me still, but I may be slower to respond/a little more out of pocket than I usually am.

I hope you all have a lovely week!
Thanks for the update!
I know I won't be trying to contact you while you're away; that's your time!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads