• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VeritasAequitas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Happy Friday everyone! I feel a little hesitant to post a lowly calf in the midst of all these glorious shell pics. But hey... I love these Oak Streets. Easily my most worn pair.

On a non-shoe note, I think I know the answer but I’m going to ask anyway because I trust the overall judgement of the board... mulling over a NWT Brookscool suit for around $100 with shipping from the bay. Should I or shouldn’t I?

C7FA4B37-7EB9-469B-9979-2BAF7A9469E9.jpeg

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Happy Friday forum pals. The brown shell MacNeils are up in the rotation.

Now, since some are fantasizing on the attributes of a hatchet throwing blond, I include a spoilered video of Hanna, an adorable little lady who catches catfish with her hands. (This is known as "noodling" for the uninitiated.)

MajorDash

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Happy Friday everyone! I feel a little hesitant to post a lowly calf in the midst of all these glorious shell pics. But hey... I love these Oak Streets. Easily my most worn pair.

On a non-shoe note, I think I know the answer but I’m going to ask anyway because I trust the overall judgement of the board... mulling over a NWT Brookscool suit for around $100 with shipping from the bay. Should I or shouldn’t I?

View attachment 1280193

$100 is a good price for the suit if you know it will be a decent fit and if you think you’ll wear it.

gv7123456

Reaction score
Bond Sts are an "entry level" shoe with lesser leathers and whatnot. If you like the quality of the PA, you will likely be disappointed with them. Also, the 64 has less volume than the 65.
Thanks. That is very helpful to know. With their regular price of $425 versus Park Avenue’s regular price of $395 that is, well, confusing, but saves me having to deal with a return.

EZB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I see grant stone has a limited pre-order going of some NSTs for some light shell. Decent value proposition if you like their NST. C'mon AE bring us a NST boot like the portland!

That's one I need to pass on. First, I can't get into GS because of the restocking fee for returns. I need to size properly and won't lose money that way. Second, I am not a fan of the NST, though the suede ones from GS do look nice.

BagleyBrown

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
...because of the cost of shell, you are right, if I do get a shell pair it will be after I either am super confident in sizing on a particular model, or if I can get to a store once stateside again. For right now though I can't justify the cost of shell, hell my wife already thinks I'm crazy with the prices of non-shell shoes.

She's right, you know.

I've been lurking this board for a little while, finally decided to join around TS19.2 time frame, I debated ordering a pair, however, phone calls back stateside from here either need to be accomplished from work, or I would need someone in the store to use WhatsApp. So this, plus not being confident in sizing kept me from participating in the TS. (didn't want to waste money on non-returnable shoes of this price range)

Wisdom of the ages, spoken by both of you!

Your post made me swing around in my chair to take a like shot. :)

Green HMs + Soso 20 ounce jeans

Vocans

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's one I need to pass on. First, I can't get into GS because of the restocking fee for returns. I need to size properly and won't lose money that way. Second, I am not a fan of the NST, though the suede ones from GS do look nice.

Their website says free returns and exchanges if they assist you with sizing but it couldn't hurt to confirm. In any event, it's only $15, even if you had to theoretically pay the restocking fee once the value proposition of the shoes themselves will still put you well ahead of most anything else.

WithBBQSauce

Reaction score
I don't see any bloom myself there, but shell will often get a little lighter where the rolls are.
Brush the area of discoloration, my guess is bloom no big deal. The toe cap... I don’t know someone else should weigh in. AEs toe stiffeners are a crap shoot. If it becomes a bigger problem send them back. It is not fixable so what you are seeing there isn’t going to go away.

Thank you both. I think I will keep them. In the event either gets worse or turns out to be a real issue my thought it its a manufacturing defect that they will likely fix/replace. Up until this point I’ve only worn them on carpet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads