• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

FatTuesday

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bootie call...
Brown shell HM boots
20190325_172837.jpg

20190325_172825.jpg

Pedlar

Reaction score
anyone have any recommendation for thicker socks?
Seen a post in one of the other threads on here, the guy recommended Darn Tough Socks. He said he has them in different cushioning, and depending how tight or loose the shoe fits, wearing different cushioning of socks can make the shoe fit more perfectly.

+ many on Darn Tough; they are wonderful socks — not available in a particularly SF range of colors and patterns but so good on the feet.

Possibly stepping even farther away from color and pattern options, Carhartt made a bulkier, super heavy duty wool boot sock that I thought was not as comfortable or durable as Darn Tough, but was still great and definitely took up a lot of space inside a boot or shoe.

Heavier than that...? I have a pair of Wigwam ”El Pine” boot socks that are basically too bulky for me to wear— I would think they would eat up a width, no problem.

Hopefully this is cold-weather footwear that the OP was trying to make work.

tcbinnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I went to a FedEx store once that I don't normally go to (it was on my way to the office) to drop off a pair of Maui Jims that were being sent back for repair, and the clerk gave me a rash of sh*t about how they were packaged, etc... I told him that they were packaged the exact same way that they were sent to me, and if the packaging was good enough for Maui Jim, it was good enough for me. He finally accepted the package (after grumpily putting about a half a roll of packing tape around it - at no extra charge). I use the FedEx store closer to my house now, even though it's the opposite way from my route to the office.

And I often wear a pair of AE shoes or boots while doing so. ;)
He might have been an Ald*n guy..or C*le H*an.

Last edited:

schweezly

Reaction score
these LEs look fantastic - hows the build quality vs AE?

I’m not the one you quoted, but generally speaking I think you’ll find that GS is a higher build quality. There’s more than a few people who will say it isn’t that close either. They don’t fit me well though so I no longer have any

3 wears in to my waxes HM’s. These are definitely going to take some time to really break in, as expected

03F76870-F872-4FC8-B302-CC7975347AD4.jpeg

armedferret

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Asking out of genuine curiosity, but am I the only one who hasn't bothered to check?

How far along the stated 12 week timeline are we now?

Today is 8 for me.

Yesterday there was a status update when i called of "shell set aside".

So they havent even started making them yet.

Shelterdog

Reaction score
Kicking off Friday with a couple shots of bourbon. Have a goo
+ many on Darn Tough; they are wonderful socks — not available in a particularly SF range of colors and patterns but so good on the feet.

Possibly stepping even farther away from color and pattern options, Carhartt made a bulkier, super heavy duty wool boot sock that I thought was not as comfortable or durable as Darn Tough, but was still great and definitely took up a lot of space inside a boot or shoe.

Heavier than that...? I have a pair of Wigwam ”El Pine” boot socks that are basically too bulky for me to wear— I would think they would eat up a width, no problem.

Hopefully this is cold-weather footwear that the OP was trying to make work.
thanks for the suggestions I will check them out. Basically I have a pair of Chili Dundees that I ordered in 10E. I have a pair of Sullivan Streets in 10D that fit fine but a little snug with dress socks. My shell Daltons are in 10E and are a little loose with dress socks. I have never tried on the Dundees so I am just trying to be prepared for them possibly being a little loose so I wanted to have some different types of socks just in case. Probably over thinking things but we will know in about a month or so

gv7123456

Reaction score
Asking out of genuine curiosity, but am I the only one who hasn't bothered to check?
I emailed the store manager I was working with almost two weeks ago and haven’t heard anything back from him yet about my TS purchases. Does that count as not checking? And not just for curiosity sake, because I was moving and didn’t have a certain address I had to have them sent to a friend’s house and trying to keep him in the loop on when they might arrive, and potentially dealing with his upcoming holiday travel. [sigh]

But on a different note, anyone have experience with the Bond street? Reviews seem to be lacking. My inclination is to wait and get black PA’s another time, but marked down and with the extra 20 they are down to $200 which starts to make me consider them. Curious that one color code for black (3412) is on sale and the other (2659) is not.

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I emailed the store manager I was working with almost two weeks ago and haven’t heard anything back from him yet about my TS purchases. Does that count as not checking? And not just for curiosity sake, because I was moving and didn’t have a certain address I had to have them sent to a friend’s house and trying to keep him in the loop on when they might arrive, and potentially dealing with his upcoming holiday travel. [sigh]

But on a different note, anyone have experience with the Bond street? Reviews seem to be lacking. My inclination is to wait and get black PA’s another time, but marked down and with the extra 20 they are down to $200 which starts to make me consider them. Curious that one color code for black (3412) is on sale and the other (2659) is not.
Bond Sts are an "entry level" shoe with lesser leathers and whatnot. If you like the quality of the PA, you will likely be disappointed with them. Also, the 64 has less volume than the 65.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads