• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe Schmoe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had FedEx pickup my bourbon shell Strands yesterday. I normally would just go drop them off, but the FedEx down the street from my home will refuse any prepackaged box. You'll get a speech about how it's "improperly packaged" and "too much wiggle room inside the box." They then ask for an additional $9.00 to mail the AE shoes. I called them out on this bullshit in the past and they wouldn't budge. I learned recently that these stores struggle to make a profit, but scamming customers is not the right way to do this. Has anyone else had their local FedEx do this? I sent an email to FedEx and I DID receive a response. They claimed it went to the district manager, but who knows if it actually did.

Yes, of the two mom and pop shipping places near me, one has appalling customer service. The clerks are rude and they charge $2 to drop off a pre-paid, pre-packaged shipment. They aren't supposed to do this, but they do it anyway. As soon as I discovered that I just turned on my heel and left and drove to a different shipping place to drop off my package. I did go back to them earlier this year to get fingerprinted because they have a livescan machine, are close to me, and charged the same prices that everyone else was charging. (California lawyers all had to get re-fingerprinted this year -- I guess too many of us are robbing liquor stores in our spare time.) I think I paid $40. Last week my wife went in to have hers done and they charged her $70. Now I'll never return. The other place nearest to me has excellent service, so I use them for everything.

I am endlessly patient with small businesses, especially those trying to eke out a not-very-lucrative living. I'm the kind of guy who leaves really big tips, not because I want to be a big shot but because it's a kindness and a way to do something nice for a person who works. But this doesn't extend to getting scammed, if someone tries to pick my pocket I'm never doing business with them again.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
anyone have any recommendation for thicker socks?
If design isn't a criteria (colorful and or unique) I'm going to say Thorlo makes some nice thicker socks, but they come in such vibrant colors like........black, and tan and exciting colors like that.

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Dundee for a long Friday.
8AA99E94-EFB0-46D5-BB67-FC4E09E3BA3C.jpeg

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I had FedEx pickup my bourbon shell Strands yesterday. I normally would just go drop them off, but the FedEx down the street from my home will refuse any prepackaged box. You'll get a speech about how it's "improperly packaged" and "too much wiggle room inside the box." They then ask for an additional $9.00 to mail the AE shoes. I called them out on this bullshit in the past and they wouldn't budge. I learned recently that these stores struggle to make a profit, but scamming customers is not the right way to do this. Has anyone else had their local FedEx do this? I sent an email to FedEx and I DID receive a response. They claimed it went to the district manager, but who knows if it actually did.
Have had a similar "conversation" with the local UPS store, which is privately owned and not part of UPS. They offered to re-box my product, but I had to buy the box and materials. Took the thing to the post office, they took it no questions.

EZB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Have had a similar "conversation" with the local UPS store, which is privately owned and not part of UPS. They offered to re-box my product, but I had to buy the box and materials. Took the thing to the post office, they took it no questions.
I’ve never had issues with either of anyOf the dozens of those stores in my area

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I’ve never had issues with either of anyOf the dozens of those stores in my area
I've only had issues with the one place, the others in the area have been nice, pleasant and helpful. So it's not endemic to the type of store.
And on a shoe note to keep it on point....wore the Alpine's last night to walk the dog. The Vibram ice grip sole really does grip on wet ice, it's weird but I think one would have to purposefully try and slip with it. I have been reading about it and the sole is supposed to keep it's grippy-ness for 200 miles of wear, that's a lot of dog walks.

woofmang

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I went to a FedEx store once that I don't normally go to (it was on my way to the office) to drop off a pair of Maui Jims that were being sent back for repair, and the clerk gave me a rash of sh*t about how they were packaged, etc... I told him that they were packaged the exact same way that they were sent to me, and if the packaging was good enough for Maui Jim, it was good enough for me. He finally accepted the package (after grumpily putting about a half a roll of packing tape around it - at no extra charge). I use the FedEx store closer to my house now, even though it's the opposite way from my route to the office.

And I often wear a pair of AE shoes or boots while doing so. ;)

Count de Monet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, of the two mom and pop shipping places near me, one has appalling customer service. The clerks are rude and they charge $2 to drop off a pre-paid, pre-packaged shipment. They aren't supposed to do this, but they do it anyway. As soon as I discovered that I just turned on my heel and left and drove to a different shipping place to drop off my package. I did go back to them earlier this year to get fingerprinted because they have a livescan machine, are close to me, and charged the same prices that everyone else was charging. (California lawyers all had to get re-fingerprinted this year -- I guess too many of us are robbing liquor stores in our spare time.) I think I paid $40. Last week my wife went in to have hers done and they charged her $70. Now I'll never return. The other place nearest to me has excellent service, so I use them for everything.

I am endlessly patient with small businesses, especially those trying to eke out a not-very-lucrative living. I'm the kind of guy who leaves really big tips, not because I want to be a big shot but because it's a kindness and a way to do something nice for a person who works. But this doesn't extend to getting scammed, if someone tries to pick my pocket I'm never doing business with them again.

See, you’re doing this wrong. You should’ve punched the rude clerk in the nose, called 911, and then gotten finger printed for free.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads