• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

suuteebird

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
34AE3160-9ABC-409F-BADE-1D3B476D9335.jpeg

looking for some wisdom and help - must have bumped something today and looks like some of the burnishing scraped off. How do I fix this? First wear of bourbon shell Randolphs.

M2511

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My replacement pair of #8 shell PAs arrived. The vamp pieces still aren’t perfect (the stitching isn’t at the edge of the leather like it is on my calf PAs) but I can live with it. Two questions though:

1. the toe cap is actually a little concave near the stitching. I notice it pretty clearly when I wear them looking down at them. Is this normal for shell? My calfskin PAs don’t do this but I wasn’t sure if this happens because shell is stiffer.
2. Just walking around the house with them, I noticed where they bend in the vamp gets lighter. It’s almost like the finish is wearing off. Is this normal for shell? Is this the dreaded bloom?
I am attaching a picture. You can see the concave in the second picture, and the lightening I mention is toward the top of the photo on the vamp. I apologize for what might be noob questions but I’ve never owned shell before. You guys convinced me. ?
Brush the area of discoloration, my guess is bloom no big deal. The toe cap... I don’t know someone else should weigh in. AEs toe stiffeners are a crap shoot. If it becomes a bigger problem send them back. It is not fixable so what you are seeing there isn’t going to go away.

M2511

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
View attachment 1279602
looking for some wisdom and help - must have bumped something today and looks like some of the burnishing scraped off. How do I fix this? First wear of bourbon shell Randolphs.
Well you can try three things. First you can try to just use black or dark brown Cordovan cream to match it and blend it. I suspect this will not work well honestly. Second option is strip the burnishing off and either leave it unburnished or apply your own burnishing to it with creams and wax if you are inclined to use wax. Third option is ask AE to refinish them.

EZB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
View attachment 1279602
Is the actual leather scratched off? You could try small amounts of brown cordovan creams...

sterlingindigo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
View attachment 1279602
Yeah I would work in some layers of brown cordovan cream. I think it’s repairable.

tcbinnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Man these look good congratulations! I have a question for you, because I feel weird about buying used shoes.

How are the foot beds before and after? Are the worn into the shape of the previous owners feet? Did the recraft affect this at all?

I just wonder this because worn out shoes, or one's that do not fit right can cause all sorts of knee, back, leg pain ect.

End of the day those are amazing shell shoes for a fraction of the price!!!
My philosophy on buying used (and I am still new at this) is first I must really want it and then I will do so if it is rare, vintage, discontinued or, still in production but much pricier at regular or even sale prices. Still, it really is on a case by case basis but I do know I'd rather "put my own stamp" on a new pair of calfskin Fifth Avenues on sale than used for say only half that price. In the world of shell though, it can be a different story.

As to your question, upon wearing them today, I see only upside to the whole endeavor. One of the pluses of a used shoe is they are already broken in, and even today with new soles they still felt that way. That may be a JR sole hallmark? I don't know. As for the insoles, with the original ones, I could feel a bump/bubble running laterally beneath the ball of one foot but which would go away after wearing them out and about a little bit. In all other respects, I could feel no "indentations", even when placing my hand inside, or any other indication they had molded to a foot different than my own or of any kind, really. And judging by the sole wear, these had been worn often enough to cause that if ever it were going to happen.
Perhaps others here have other experiences to share on that subject. I will say though, as I think upon it on your mention, how different could someone's "footprint" really be from your own if you each fit nicely in the same shoe? I know, technically toe-to-ball-to-heel ratios can vary, but in my experience these cork bed soles are not super "plush" like a pillow-top mattress or memory foam insert might be. They are really fairly firm and don't "give" as much as one might think but do still offer a comfortable ride.
I hope that helps and good luck in the pursuit of your own footwear treasure.

For me today it was a good first outing with my renewed MacNeil's..

Attachments

• 20191114_120657~2.jpg
    20191114_120657~2.jpg
    313 KB · Views: 28
  • 20191114_120708.jpg
    20191114_120708.jpg
    299.5 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:

Count de Monet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Very nice. Is the color merlot?

I’m pretty sure they are Merlot. It is from the multiple GMTO’s event from 3-4 years ago. There was a merlot Eagle Country group, a navy EC group, a brown shell Bayfield group, a brown shell Townley Group, and the London tan Dublin Long Branch group. Maybe one or two others.

It was glorious.

Last edited:

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
View attachment 1279602
I would remove the burnishing even if you are going to blend in with a Cordavan Creme. The scrapped off area is too abrupt to blend as is. I would use the least harsh cleaner that I have. Renovateur may be the ticket to pull enough burnishing off to give you a better chance at blending the area back to an acceptable level.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
My philosophy on buying used (and I am still new at this) is first I must really want it and then I will do so if it is rare, vintage, discontinued or, still in production but much pricier at regular or even sale prices. Still, it really is on a case by case basis but I do know I'd rather "put my own stamp" on a new pair of calfskin Fifth Avenues on sale than used for say only half that price. In the world of shell though, it can be a different story.

As to your question, upon wearing them today, I see only upside to the whole endeavor. One of the pluses of a used shoe is they are already broken in, and even today with new soles they still felt that way. That may be a JR sole hallmark? I don't know. As for the insoles, with the original ones, I could feel a bump/bubble running beneath the ball of one foot but which would go away after wearing them out and about a little bit. In all other respects, I could feel no "indentations", even when placing my hand inside, or any other indication they had molded to a foot different than my own. And judging by the sole wear, these had been worn often enough to cause that if ever it were going to happen.
Perhaps others here have other experiences to share on that subject. I will say though, as I think upon it on your mention, how different could someones "footprint" really be from your own if you are both fitting nicely inside the same shoe? I know, technically toe-to-ball-to-heel ratios can vary within the same total length of foot but besides which, in my own experience anyway, these cork bed soles are not super "plush" like a pillow-top mattress or memory foam insert might be. They are really fairly firm and don't "give" as much as one might think but do still offer a comfortable ride.

I hope that helps and good luck in the pursuit of your own next footwear tressure.
I have a few pair of "used" shoes, and have had relatively good luck with them. I got burned on an eBay pair of Alden's once, so now only deal with SF members on the B/S/T threads for brands I'm interested in. I have yet to get a pair of crappy shoes or boots from anyone on this or the Alden forums. We tend to take care of our footwear, maybe some dirt or something in a lug sole, but uppers are great, footbeds not an issue. Unlike the pair of Alden Indy's I got from eBay, that looked great in the photo's, description was wonderful, I won the bid and when they got here, they were the same boots, but not quite in as good a shape as they looked online........however, fit was fine and they are awesome yard work boots now!!!

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Remember guys the delivery time frame was supposed to be 8 to 12 weeks. We are still a bit off from 12. Be patient. I know I'm trying to be.
Bit is an understatement. We're just at 9 weeks tomorrow from the START of the Trunk Show.
Rather right than early.
Put me in the camp of take 6 months just make them right with attention to detail. I don’t really know what other information people want other than shipping notifications.
Agreed! They will arrive, and not a single person here doesn't have something to wear in the mean time.
(I'm at seven months on an order. Received it yesterday, and it's headed back to be corrected tomorrow. Plus side I'll have a one of one build.)

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Bit is an understatement. We're just at 9 weeks tomorrow from the START of the Trunk Show.
Rather right than early.

Agreed! They will arrive, and not a single person here doesn't have something to wear in the mean time.
(I'm at seven months on an order. Received it yesterday, and it's headed back to be corrected tomorrow. Plus side I'll have a one of one build.)
Let us not forget that the other US company that starts with an A makes no bones about, pay now, get your footwear in 6,7,8,9 months, and a lot of us do it.... so AE with a 12 week timeline is not that bad (I say this, but then again, I'm not waiting for a TS gem) I am, however well into 4 months wait for a pair of that "other company" boots that were pre-ordered.

EZB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Rather right than early.

Alden or Carmina order?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads