• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

kellte2

Reaction score
So after a decent wait, the bourbon strands have arrived. The color is remarkable and doesn’t disappoint. However, the stitching on the inside quarter panel on the right shoe is gnarly. I can snip the long threads and fuse them with a lighter, but the area is really rough looking. Should I raise the issue with AE or just move on? I know these were trunk show orders and therefore not able to be returned, but this stitching doesn’t seem like first quality in my eyes.

any thoughts, @ae_ashley?

8414BCE0-4075-4D4B-B211-53197C6FFB78.jpeg

Attachments

• D09922DA-3F65-42EA-A046-734F90125A3D.jpeg
    D09922DA-3F65-42EA-A046-734F90125A3D.jpeg
    150.1 KB · Views: 24
  • A56A4600-9632-4468-A3C1-B143B18EB9A8.jpeg
    A56A4600-9632-4468-A3C1-B143B18EB9A8.jpeg
    250.2 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I see that some items have an additional 20% off, like the Leeds 2.0 in tan grain, which is only $147 to begin with. How are they making any profit on this shoe if it's being sold for $117?
They are not. but it is another $117 that can be put back towards profitability.

Lionel Hutz

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

James1051

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have an in person interview after work with a promising career opportunity. Black Sullies get the call as they mean business.

View attachment 1279187
Go get it!
?

So after a decent wait, the bourbon strands have arrived. The color is remarkable and doesn’t disappoint. However, the stitching on the inside quarter panel on the right shoe is gnarly. I can snip the long threads and fuse them with a lighter, but the area is really rough looking. Should I raise the issue with AE or just move on? I know these were trunk show orders and therefore not able to be returned, but this stitching doesn’t seem like first quality in my eyes.

any thoughts, @ae_ashley?

View attachment 1279272 View attachment 1279275
I’m not bothered by the stitches, but is the medallion on the left shoe a little bit cockeyed?

kellte2

Reaction score
I’m not bothered by the stitches, but is the medallion on the left shoe a little bit cockeyed?

If it is, it doesn't bother me. Lots of these idiosyncrasies can be chalked up to the hand-made nature of the shoes, but I guess that I'm particular when it comes to stitching. That said, I don't see any other construction issues, the fit is perfect, and man, the bourbon shell is just spectacular. It is darker than expected, but exactly what I wanted.

Ashley_S

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If it is, it doesn't bother me. Lots of these idiosyncrasies can be chalked up to the hand-made nature of the shoes, but I guess that I'm particular when it comes to stitching. That said, I don't see any other construction issues, the fit is perfect, and man, the bourbon shell is just spectacular. It is darker than expected, but exactly what I wanted.

I agree. I'll look into that stray thread and let you know what the plan is. I bet this is an easy fix. Thanks again for tagging me in!

Rithrin

Reaction score
So my Fifth Streets arrived! Bought them from a member here on SF and they fit fine! No heel slippage whatsoever. My only issue is the v gap, but it looks normal for this type of boot no?

My Fifths gap also increases in the middle like that - probably pretty normal.

Working from home today in jeans and Boulders:

View attachment 1279313

Shoes on in the house?? I like it. More time to admire the ol' collection!

savvysartorial

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dang. I can't find RTW flannels that I'm interested in this winter. I want something tan to mid-brown, woollen/carded, flat front, sufficient rise (+11") and not too slim for my runner's legs, and not cost an arm and a leg. Feels like I'm searching for a unicorn. Epaulet comes so close... if only the Taylor fit didn't have pleats.

LL Bean has some different styles of cords that might interest you... They're 98%-99% cotton, however not wool.

If you're after a wool composite, I cannot help on that front.

Happy Wednesday forum pals. Take a break from the drama and do a little shoe maintenance with a favorite adult beverage. Or better yet, cruise the ol' interwebs until you find a new pair that you can't live without.

Oh yeah, Doc!! Those are great every time. Gorgeous color on those. Did you use the flash on your phone?
brown shell strands today
View attachment 1279303

Stunning! One of the best canvases for brown shell.

I also love the reflection of you from the floor :p Were you holding something shiny in your left hand?

savvysartorial

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've been slowly building up the collection (it's already very large) over the past few months and I haven't shared diddly squat yet! :D Also, just bought my first camera (for the wife mainly, early Christmas present) so I've been having fun taking photos of said shoes and finding an excuse to photograph anything....

With that said, here is the most recent addition; non-AE, Grant Stone, so avert thine eyes. I refuse to spoiler Goodyear Welted goodness!! My first (hopefully not last) Grant Stone!

Navy suede Ottawa boot with beautiful toe stitching and insane SPI on the welt. Also, the cleanest welt joint I've ever seen. I look forward to wearing these a lot. I am extremely impressed and the fit is perfect. Removed the original laces and installed AE rounds.

DSC00070.JPG
DSC00071.JPG
DSC00073.JPG
DSC00074.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads