• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brit-Abroard

Reaction score
All of this talk of Eagle Counties inspired me to wear mine today with my khaki stretch jeans. I was not aware of the advances in jean technology, I stopped following jeans in the late 1980's, just after stonewashing was introduced LOL. I've WORN jeans ever since, but whenever I needed a new pair, I'd just grab some Levis or Carhartts, whatever was cheaper. Never really gave jeans much thought, so long as they were blue-ish and made of denim, that was all I needed to know.

But my kids have been wearing jeans a lot lately now that they are in high school, at a school which does not require kids to wear uniforms. I do most of our laundry and noticed that all all of their jeans felt weird. Stretchy. So when I needed some new jeans, I decided to give the stretchy kind a try. Honestly - they are fantastic. They fit well enough (these aren't super tight skinny jeans, just stretchy) and they're super comfortable. Probably not super durable, but more than adequate for city wear. Also, I've never had jeans in khaki before, I've seen people wearing them but never owned any myself. Again, they are fantastic. I can wear all of my casual AE's with them. Looking forward to more stretchy jeans.

View attachment 1278897

I love Mavi jeans, they have a pair call Zach that work for my chunky thighs, they have a little stretch and are super comfy. Got them from Nordstrom Rack website.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Upon my arrival home tonight, just as Fedex had texted, I was greeted by a package by the door. Great! My new Viccel socks arrived, I thought. But why the large box for just one pair? Looks like a shoe box, too, in fact. I didn't order any shoes, did I? Nooo. Oh wait, this must be my AE MacNeils back from re-craft, with nary a mention by AE they had even been received, much less worked upon. Oh, so what, just a formality anyway, all that texting and emailing on the interwebs business.

So here they are below, in "before" and "after" poses of course. But I will first start off with my personal assessment, by saying, a. the turnaround time was very quick, like about two weeks. b. your mileage may vary, but any re-crafting "fears" I've read being expressed here recently did not materialize in the form of my own result or experience. No tighter fit. No swiss cheesed leather (though pre-owned, this was a first re-craft for this pair, I'm pretty sure). No mis-matched heels. No damage. At all. In fact, the (only) two areas of damage I expected to remain, have all but disappeared. One, a shallow .25" strafe on the left shoe's eyelet keeper is now about gone. I had to look very closely to find it again. And the other, a .50" hole in the lining where a seam (not unusually) gave way and separated, is now nicely pulled back together. Not restitched but back firmly in place, glued most likely and still more than I expected. Thank you to my SA for asking them to take a look at that.

Beyond that, with no other pre-existing maladies to survey, the good stuff about a full re-craft was on full display. JR soles? Check ✔. Leather/rubber heel combo? (and attached with nicely recessed cobbler's nails). Check. ✔ A nice neat , clean and uniform stitching job all the way 'round both shoes? Check. Check. ✔ ✔ Even nice new laces? Check. ✔ How 'bout the cordovan shell leather? (it had looked pretty tired, dull and even scaly in spots- not damaged but just worn out before its time). Looking much better now, thank you, more alive and with a deeper patina - plus much more respondent to a brushing (sans wax or polish) - that is turning now to a Glow! Oh, annnnd Check. ✔

So am I satisfied? You betcha'. A little elated even, and proud (especially of AE) as this was my first and somewhat hand-wringing foray into the world of purchasing used shoes online, much less then sending them in for a re-craft. And I might add, with a little supervisory encouragement by @smfdoc, too. Thanks again, doc.
"Yeah fine, but what about total cost?", you may ask. Initially $110 plus about $135 for the re-craft which included shipping both ways and with said re-craft completed in a matter of about two weeks. Sorry (not sorry) if it held up anyone's TS'19 2.0 order(s), btw. ? Which I doubt that it did. Why?
After all, mine traveled in/out through an old rusty mail slot in a chipped green door by the dumpster around back of PW HQ, while all Yours, oh yours, traveled on a spiraling cloud of pixie dust through a golden anti-gravity frictionless chute (lined in kudu) whereupon each pair landed on purple velvet pillows perched atop the heads of dancing leprechauns (both male and female as AE is eoe compliant) and spirited to your door by a team of flying unicorns wearing mauve tuxedos and merlot Strands. And all the while you thought it was FedEx. Ha!
One more bourbon, please.

Here they are "before", a little dull and lifeless but by no means dead (and the brushing I tried did little to help).... View attachment 1278947

And now "after", looking far more lively, and attractive (imho)..
View attachment 1278967
Ohhh, Sole-O-Miiiooo.. View attachment 1278968
View attachment 1278969
and one more shot, this time after a good five minute dry brushing to only the shoe on your right. Just imagine another ten!.. View attachment 1278972

If anyone wants questions answered or pics of more specific areas, just let me know.
Somehow, I have a feeling that your experience is more the "norm" for ReCraft (and they look great by the way). Usually one only hears the not so great experience stories, but that is true for most things and services in life. Thank you for posting this great experience story!

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
All of this talk of Eagle Counties inspired me to wear mine today with my khaki stretch jeans. I was not aware of the advances in jean technology, I stopped following jeans in the late 1980's, just after stonewashing was introduced LOL. I've WORN jeans ever since, but whenever I needed a new pair, I'd just grab some Levis or Carhartts, whatever was cheaper. Never really gave jeans much thought, so long as they were blue-ish and made of denim, that was all I needed to know.

But my kids have been wearing jeans a lot lately now that they are in high school, at a school which does not require kids to wear uniforms. I do most of our laundry and noticed that all all of their jeans felt weird. Stretchy. So when I needed some new jeans, I decided to give the stretchy kind a try. Honestly - they are fantastic. They fit well enough (these aren't super tight skinny jeans, just stretchy) and they're super comfortable. Probably not super durable, but more than adequate for city wear. Also, I've never had jeans in khaki before, I've seen people wearing them but never owned any myself. Again, they are fantastic. I can wear all of my casual AE's with them. Looking forward to more stretchy jeans.

View attachment 1278897
I've had good luck with "stretchy" jeans from J.Crew. Now if I'm going to go dig a garden or climb on the roof, I'm grabbing the Carhartts, but for "city" jeans.......https://www.jcrew.com/c/mens_category/denim_jeans

munchau

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Jefferson 2.0 today.
2DE48187-EE43-4149-BA04-A937E5007057.jpeg

lemmy127

Reaction score
the main store in Milwaukee, but a smaller store in Indianapolis.

Based on the photo I've seen of the Indianapolis location, I don't think the Milwaukee store is larger. I'd be hard pressed to call it a flagship. It's just a little storefront spot in the first floor of Milwaukee's most ritzy/famous/supposed haunted hotel, the Pfister.

woofmang

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Upon my arrival home tonight, just as Fedex had texted, I was greeted by a package by the door. Great! My new Viccel socks arrived, I thought. But why the large box for just one pair? Looks like a shoe box, too, in fact. I didn't order any shoes, did I? Nooo. Oh wait, this must be my AE MacNeils back from re-craft, with nary a mention by AE they had even been received, much less worked upon. Oh, so what, just a formality anyway, all that texting and emailing on the interwebs business.

So here they are below, in "before" and "after" poses of course. But I will first start off with my personal assessment, by saying, a. the turnaround time was very quick, like about two weeks. b. your mileage may vary, but any re-crafting "fears" I've read being expressed here recently did not materialize in the form of my own result or experience. No tighter fit. No swiss cheesed leather (though pre-owned, this was a first re-craft for this pair, I'm pretty sure). No mis-matched heels. No damage. At all. In fact, the (only) two areas of damage I expected to remain, have all but disappeared. One, a shallow .25" strafe on the left shoe's eyelet keeper is now about gone. I had to look very closely to find it again. And the other, a .50" hole in the lining where a seam (not unusually) gave way and separated, is now nicely pulled back together. Not restitched but back firmly in place, glued most likely and still more than I expected. Thank you to my SA for asking them to take a look at that.

Beyond that, with no other pre-existing maladies to survey, the good stuff about a full re-craft was on full display. JR soles? Check ✔. Leather/rubber heel combo? (and attached with nicely recessed cobbler's nails). Check. ✔ A nice neat , clean and uniform stitching job all the way 'round both shoes? Check. Check. ✔ ✔ Even nice new laces? Check. ✔ How 'bout the cordovan shell leather? (it had looked pretty tired, dull and even scaly in spots- not damaged but just worn out before its time). Looking much better now, thank you, more alive and with a deeper patina - plus much more respondent to a brushing (sans wax or polish) - that is turning now to a Glow! Oh, annnnd Check. ✔

So am I satisfied? You betcha'. A little elated even, and proud (especially of AE) as this was my first and somewhat hand-wringing foray into the world of purchasing used shoes online, much less then sending them in for a re-craft. And I might add, with a little supervisory encouragement by @smfdoc, too. Thanks again, doc.
"Yeah fine, but what about total cost?", you may ask. Initially $110 plus about $135 for the re-craft which included shipping both ways and with said re-craft completed in a matter of about two weeks. Sorry (not sorry) if it held up anyone's TS'19 2.0 order(s), btw. ? Which I doubt that it did. Why?
After all, mine traveled in/out through an old rusty mail slot in a chipped green door by the dumpster around back of PW HQ, while all Yours, oh yours, traveled on a spiraling cloud of pixie dust through a golden anti-gravity frictionless chute (lined in kudu) whereupon each pair landed on purple velvet pillows perched atop the heads of dancing leprechauns (both male and female as AE is eoe compliant) and spirited to your door by a team of flying unicorns wearing mauve tuxedos and merlot Strands. And all the while you thought it was FedEx. Ha!
One more bourbon, please.

Here they are "before", a little dull and lifeless but by no means dead (and the brushing I tried did little to help).... View attachment 1278947

And now "after", looking far more lively, and attractive (imho)..
View attachment 1278967
Ohhh, Sole-O-Miiiooo.. View attachment 1278968
View attachment 1278969
and one more shot, this time after a good five minute dry brushing to only the shoe on your right. Just imagine another ten!.. View attachment 1278972

If anyone wants questions answered or pics of more specific areas, just let me know.
Nice job!

tcbinnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Man these look good congratulations! I have a question for you, because I feel weird about buying used shoes.

How are the foot beds before and after? Are the worn into the shape of the previous owners feet? Did the recraft affect this at all?

I just wonder this because worn out shoes, or one's that do not fit right can cause all sorts of knee, back, leg pain ect.

End of the day those are amazing shell shoes for a fraction of the price!!!
Thank you. I agree it is a remarkable deal, especially the re-crafting, and as satisfying is the great feeling to own something of this quality that "once was" and now is again.
As to your question, and a very good one, I plan to wear them today (and I did wear the originals around, too) after which I will give you a comparison on all-around fit and feel of the footbeds.

Last edited:

Lionel Hutz

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
What I find interesting is this, I read on here that you guys get magazines from AE, and they come with coupon codes for money off purchases. I'm not saying I'm some super collector like most people on here, and I can't justify paying for shell at the moment, when I can pay for an entire vacation here in Europe for the same amount as a pair of shoes/boots. However, I have purchased 6 pairs of shoes, 6 shoe trees, 1 belt, brushes, and creams, all since around Fathers Day this year, and I've yet to receive a magazine or get a coupon code e-mailed to me or anything.

I'm in the same boat and it baffles me. I purchased 5 pair in TS2019.1, 5 again in TS2019.2 and 10-11 in the February 2019 sale event (9-10 of which were shell). Thats around 20 pairs of shoes in 12 months (almost all of which were mailed to my home address) and I am still not on the mailing list.

I don't particularly care (because internet) but it strikes me as marketing malpractice

Last edited:

tcbinnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Somehow, I have a feeling that your experience is more the "norm" for ReCraft (and they look great by the way). Usually one only hears the not so great experience stories, but that is true for most things and services in life. Thank you for posting this great experience story!
Yes, you have a good point and I too have offered my share of, in retrospect, picayune complaints. In this case, I couldn't not tell you guys and gals all about it. Comrades in arms and all. And the bourbon. lol.

Last edited:

EZB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What I find interesting is this, I read on here that you guys get magazines from AE, and they come with coupon codes for money off purchases. I'm not saying I'm some super collector like most people on here, and I can't justify paying for shell at the moment, when I can pay for an entire vacation here in Europe for the same amount as a pair of shoes/boots. However, I have purchased 6 pairs of shoes, 6 shoe trees, 1 belt, brushes, and creams, all since around Fathers Day this year, and I've yet to receive a magazine or get a coupon code e-mailed to me or anything.

This is clearly a difference between America and Europe. We get so little vacation time and prefer to work ourselves to death. Then we can buy the expensive shoes and treat our walking to work as a mental vacation as we appreciate our footwear!

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Based on the photo I've seen of the Indianapolis location, I don't think the Milwaukee store is larger. I'd be hard pressed to call it a flagship. It's just a little storefront spot in the first floor of Milwaukee's most ritzy/famous/supposed haunted hotel, the Pfister.
I guess I assumed flagship store because of the location and in Wisconsin. I have stayed at the Pfister many, many times and never encountered a ghost :)

tcbinnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is clearly a difference between America and Europe. We get so little vacation time and prefer to work ourselves to death. Then we can buy the expensive shoes and treat our walking to work as a mental vacation as we appreciate our footwear!
So spot on.

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
If it makes you feel better, I rarely receive the catalogs. When I do it's typically well after everyone else here seems to get one.
In your case, I do wonder if they send any catalogs out of country...
I would like to purchase at lease one pair of shell, just to be in the club. They appear to be stiff to me looking at pictures. I have seen some decent prices in the few months I've been following AE, when sales pop up, though the best deals are to be had on shoes, and I think I'd rather have a pair of shell boots.
You don't have to purchase shell just to be "in the club". Some people aren't into shell (or spending even more money than a nice pair of calf), and there's nothing wrong with that. Calf and suede are excellent leathers as well! I think it would be worth it if you ever get a chance to spend some time in person with shell to do so before buying any.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 82 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.2%

Forum statistics

Threads