• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

CommanderMcBragg

Reaction score
Yeah, the AE polish will be more than enough for covering up scuffs and shining the shoe. Not sure what AE's four steps are but it's important to make sure your shoes are well conditioned to preserve the longevity of the leather. Renovateur is probably the best product for that, but AE also makes a decent leather lotion.

Edge dressing comes in different colors. For walnut you'll want brown edge dressing. Depending on the shoe you might need black edge dressing as well. Whatever matches the color of your shoe's edge.

Any neutral polish will work for adding some shine on the shoe regardless of the color. No problem at all with using Reno + other polishes from other brands.

Speed polish is a cream polish, used to cover up scuffs and add shine throughout the shoe. The wax polish is the stuff you use to add a mirror shine to the toe caps/heels.

Thank you once again.

From the Q&A section on the AE site, it appears that the neutral "Heel & Sole Edge Dressing" should work for my Bourbon, Walnut, and Chili colors--would you agree? If I go with the speed polish in Bourbon, does that sufficiently achieve the "burnished" look?

M2511

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, the AE polish will be more than enough for covering up scuffs and shining the shoe. Not sure what AE's four steps are but it's important to make sure your shoes are well conditioned to preserve the longevity of the leather. Renovateur is probably the best product for that, but AE also makes a decent leather lotion.

Edge dressing comes in different colors. For walnut you'll want brown edge dressing. Depending on the shoe you might need black edge dressing as well. Whatever matches the color of your shoe's edge.

Any neutral polish will work for adding some shine on the shoe regardless of the color. No problem at all with using Reno + other polishes from other brands.

Speed polish is a cream polish, used to cover up scuffs and add shine throughout the shoe. The wax polish is the stuff you use to add a mirror shine to the toe caps/heels.
Thank you once again.

From the Q&A section on the AE site, it appears that the neutral "Heel & Sole Edge Dressing" should work for my Bourbon, Walnut, and Chili colors--would you agree? If I go with the speed polish in Bourbon, does that sufficiently achieve the "burnished" look?
With exception of bourbon I’m pretty sure chili edge is used on walnut and chili colors. Neutral works just won’t bring any additional color. As for bourbon... you’ll have to try what works for you to match the burnished look AE applies. As for the products it really depends how far down the rabbit hole you want to go. I probably have a pair of shell shoes value in shoe care products. The ones I use most are black and neutral mirror wax and patedelux whatever spelling both from saphir and renovateur. VSC with shell too. I have both AE and saphir colored creams but I almost never use them. My rotation size means shoe care is like a once a year thing for each pair unless I really ding up a shoe.

armedferret

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
And Alan has the added advantage of actually still being alive... :p

Something many of us hope continues for a fair few decades to come.

I'm not wearing bourbon tonight...but I *AM* drinking it (Via Sophia @ The Hamilton on K street).

IMG_20191113_202307_651.jpg

Let's hope I don't wear this bourbon anytime soon. Jefferson's Reserve, quite delicious.

Cheers lads.

BackInTheJox

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
With exception of bourbon I’m pretty sure chili edge is used on walnut and chili colors. Neutral works just won’t bring any additional color. As for bourbon... you’ll have to try what works for you to match the burnished look AE applies. As for the products it really depends how far down the rabbit hole you want to go. I probably have a pair of shell shoes value in shoe care products. The ones I use most are black and neutral mirror wax and patedelux whatever spelling both from saphir and renovateur. VSC with shell too. I have both AE and saphir colored creams but I almost never use them. My rotation size means shoe care is like a once a year thing for each pair unless I really ding up a shoe.
Neutral is used for walnut. Somewhere along the way on the AE site someone erroneously replied that chili was proper for walnut shoes but unless you want your edges to look different than original (darker and redder), neutral is 100% the way to go for walnut shoes. It restores the original luster and colors of the edge without darkening/altering the original intended look of the edge.
Now, if your goal is to alter the color, then by all means go with chili.

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Thank you for the polishing advice, men.

Final question: Do I really need to buy those horsehair brushes (dauber & shine varieties), or can I do a reasonable enough job without them?
You do need at least two horse hair brushes. One for dusting and at least one for the polish step. Personally I think brushes are more important than polish. In the short term you could go as minimal as Renovateur or VSC and Nuetral Carnuba wax. Colored creme polish can be added as you go.

BFT9000

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you for the polishing advice, men.

Final question: Do I really need to buy those horsehair brushes (dauber & shine varieties), or can I do a reasonable enough job without them?

Absolutely. You should get a single horsehair brush at a minimum. If you have both black and brown shoes you should get one for each color.

Polishing cloths are nice as well, but an old used t shirt works fine too. I use mine to both apply the polish as well as to finish buffing the shoe after brushing.

Joe Schmoe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
All of this talk of Eagle Counties inspired me to wear mine today with my khaki stretch jeans. I was not aware of the advances in jean technology, I stopped following jeans in the late 1980's, just after stonewashing was introduced LOL. I've WORN jeans ever since, but whenever I needed a new pair, I'd just grab some Levis or Carhartts, whatever was cheaper. Never really gave jeans much thought, so long as they were blue-ish and made of denim, that was all I needed to know.

But my kids have been wearing jeans a lot lately now that they are in high school, at a school which does not require kids to wear uniforms. I do most of our laundry and noticed that all all of their jeans felt weird. Stretchy. So when I needed some new jeans, I decided to give the stretchy kind a try. Honestly - they are fantastic. They fit well enough (these aren't super tight skinny jeans, just stretchy) and they're super comfortable. Probably not super durable, but more than adequate for city wear. Also, I've never had jeans in khaki before, I've seen people wearing them but never owned any myself. Again, they are fantastic. I can wear all of my casual AE's with them. Looking forward to more stretchy jeans.

CommanderMcBragg

Reaction score
You do need at least two horse hair brushes. One for dusting and at least one for the polish step. Personally I think brushes are more important than polish. In the short term you could go as minimal as Renovateur or VSC and Nuetral Carnuba wax. Colored creme polish can be added as you go.

Potentially Stupid Question Alert: I can't use the same brush for dusting as well as polishing?

tcbinnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Something many of us hope continues for a fair few decades to come.

I'm not wearing bourbon tonight...but I *AM* drinking it (Via Sophia @ The Hamilton on K street).

View attachment 1278881

Let's hope I don't wear this bourbon anytime soon. Jefferson's Reserve, quite delicious.

Cheers lads.
Cheers. Trying the Bulleit bourbon here tonight. More powerful than last night's Maker's but still smooth.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads