• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Thanks guys, I appreciate the feedback!
I think I just needed some reassurance that this could be easily managed but I am definitely keeping them. I’ll give them a good brushing and work these out a bit and try to post more pictures when I’m able.
As said above, scratches are just part of the patina.
I'd use a spit-moistened finger to rub the affected area followed by brushing and buffing. The brushing and buffing will wake up the shell in general as well.

vdubiv

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Was pleasantly surprised to come home to these today! Now just waiting on my Jingle Bell-Mok

Nick V.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
They do, but their facility is not set up in this fashion. This essentially becomes a full on rebuild. Their recrafting department is set up to handle resoling, lasting, and finishing. It would basically have to go through the new build line, and trying to push a special through there will gum up the works and likely result in something getting mishandled.
Also, they can only go smaller. That said, you may find your shoes fit tighter after a recraft if they had to sew further up onto the upper when they rewelt it. Several people have reported things feeling tighter (more than just a relasting) after a recraft.

I agree with most of your post except the reason for the shoes "feeling tighter" after a re-craft. If they stitched the welt in new holes above the existing holes it would significantly compromise the the strength of the upper causing it to tear like a perforated piece of paper.
In most likelihood the reason they feel tighter is because of the new sole and footbed.
The old sole and footbed were obviously worn out. They became thin and flimsy as a result of wear. The new sole is a lot more rigid. Because of the rigidity and a new footbed the upper pulls down. That's what causes the shoe to "feel" tighter. The shoe will break back in, in a short period of time.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
If they were just wrong on 1 metric, length or width, maybe.

Interesting that the large footed gentleman chose exotic leather and rubber soles.

Yea, we have a really big shoe, tonight.

I did not realize that enduring big feet jokes all my life uniquely prepared me for this moment.

"Do they come with oars?"
"Just wear the boxes"

Thank you, please tip the wait staff. I'll be here all week.

Something completely different today...Dublin Gustins.
View attachment 1277785
Sorry, my friend, about the both feet in one shoe comment, but I'm an 8.5 and those are 16........guess I couldn't have placed both feet all the way in one shoe. I like that lace to toe look you are sporting today. They look good and not like those old Thorogood roofer shoes, which has been my only personal experience with lace to toe.

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
In regards to AE recrafting, do they create new holes in the upper or do they stitch in the existing holes?
I thought we'd had a discussion and determined that they sometimes do hit new holes, sometimes higher up, but @Nick V. said otherwise. I'm sure he's seen a pair that has seen an AE recraft to shed some light on it though. I've never torn apart an AE, so I'm at the mercy of those that have!

aero25

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yesterday: *checking for FedEx shipping notice intensifies* I looked at all the order confirmation emails, looking for a sign of when fun stuff will arrive. Nothing longer than 5 weeks away (trunk show).
Today: "It's happening!!!"
Screenshot_20191112-131030~2.png

Now, is it the heel job coming back from recrafting? Trunk show goodies? Or, is it RDA goodies? Arrrgh!

Last edited:

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
In regards to AE recrafting, do they create new holes in the upper or do they stitch in the existing holes?

I believe the recraft video says and shows them apply a new welt and then stitch to it, which would be new holes. Check it out for confirmation.

Shelterdog

Reaction score
The good news: Nana - one of the my favorite dogs that my wife has transported on for a better life has been adopted. She was in a bad spot in TN and was taken to Mt. Vernon IL and is now living with her new family in Pekin.

The bad news: I was expecting my HM this week but Jason let me know they were damaged during production so my new ETA is Dec 11 for Bourbon HM and Dec 16 for my Chili Dundee's.

Oh and my wife did not understand my "she has a commando grill" comment but I'm sure a few of you know what I meant....

FatTuesday

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
SF will only stop me from wearing the classic trad/Ivy look of a 3/2 undarted suit, OCBD, repp tie, and longwings or loafers when they pry them off of my cold dead feet.
Recent personal experience dictates that I recommend you include that this statement was tongue in cheek in order to avoid certain inconveniences in your daily routine. :hide:
The irony escaped me momentarily -- until you posted @armedferret. Strange days indeed.

armedferret

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The irony escaped me momentarily -- until you posted @armedferret. Strange days indeed.

Life's a trip man. Best spent in decent footwear. :)

(and from recent posts, apparently only C&J and Tricker's make decent stuff)

Nick V.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I thought we'd had a discussion and determined that they sometimes do hit new holes, sometimes higher up, but @Nick V. said otherwise. I'm sure he's seen a pair that has seen an AE recraft to shed some light on it though. I've never torn apart an AE, so I'm at the mercy of those that have!

The inseam stitches are very close together. If they create new holes in the upper it will cause the upper leather to tear sooner rather than later. The welting machines are set to stitch at specific intervals. Once the first stitch goes through the others follow at the same spacing. Of course it's a factory set-up so, you may get the occasional mishap. But following typical procedure it shouldn't happen. If they were creating new holes they would have constant issues with uppers tearing at the inseam. Another point is let's say that you have a pair of shoes going on a third re-craft. If they were creating new holes there would be nothing left of the upper to stitch the welt to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads