• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

tcbinnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Breaking SF rules and offending good taste by wearing reverse welt LWBs under my suit this morning. Because rain, and because tough bananas.
View attachment 1277758
and for fans of striped OCBDs in a shoe and shell thread
Nicely put together, and in reference to yesterday's mention of "collar rolls", that's the kind I can live with (and try to achieve), not the ones that pucker out down to the button. Thanks for posting 'cause I couldn't really articulate it as such, so I didn't.

vdubiv

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They do, but their facility is not set up in this fashion. This essentially becomes a full on rebuild. Their recrafting department is set up to handle resoling, lasting, and finishing. It would basically have to go through the new build line, and trying to push a special through there will gum up the works and likely result in something getting mishandled.
Also, they can only go smaller. That said, you may find your shoes fit tighter after a recraft if they had to sew further up onto the upper when they rewelt it. Several people have reported things feeling tighter (more than just a relasting) after a recraft.
This works in my head, though proportionally it may not work. I was just thinking if theoretically there was say an 1/8 or 1/4 inch difference between where the welt is stitched down to the sole, a cobbler could take the next size smaller sole, trim any excess material, and re-last/resole the shoe 1 size down.
If this is possible, it could open up a whole new world of possibilities for people seeking out rare shoe's.

EZB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Whoa. I somehow missed your post on the first go 'round but have to say, those are sharp and look great with those jeans.
Thank you!

After several days of boots, I wanted to wear something super flexible today—same jeans though as in that pic!
C6C29E75-F64E-45BA-888B-25D724282556.jpeg

armedferret

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

armedferret

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
SF will only stop me from wearing the classic trad/Ivy look of a 3/2 undarted suit, OCBD, repp tie, and longwings or loafers when they pry them off of my cold dead feet.

Recent personal experience dictates that I recommend you include that this statement was tongue in cheek in order to avoid certain inconveniences in your daily routine. :hide:

@EZB Luv dem moks.

BagleyBrown

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any 16 EEE's out there? @BagleyBrown

If they were just wrong on 1 metric, length or width, maybe.

Interesting that the large footed gentleman chose exotic leather and rubber soles.

16EEE????? ****, I could get both feet in one shoe.........

Yea, we have a really big shoe, tonight.

The shoe tree is literally a tree.

I did not realize that enduring big feet jokes all my life uniquely prepared me for this moment.

"Do they come with oars?"
"Just wear the boxes"

Thank you, please tip the wait staff. I'll be here all week.

Something completely different today...Dublin Gustins.

lemmy127

Reaction score

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Happy Tuesday forum pals. TS 2017 Natty MacNeils are up in the rotation.

RigelGent

Reaction score
I typically just lurk here and enjoy the knowledge, but I thought I would ask today for any thoughts on improving some defects in these TS Dundees that arrived this morning. There are a couple of scratches I’ve tried to capture on both shoes; the ones on the side vamp are fairly superficial but the one by the eyelets is more palpable. I have not had to manage scratches on my shell shoes so far, thankfully, but am seeking the opinions of more experienced individuals. Does anyone have any suggestions, or should I just try smoothing them using the spoon method and see what improvement I can get? Thanks. 45E6CC77-7B9D-47F3-919E-8618AD1866D7.jpeg 267DA65E-5C65-4663-8C51-CEAE47F92D9F.jpeg

EZB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I typically just lurk here and enjoy the knowledge, but I thought I would ask today for any thoughts on improving some defects in these TS Dundees that arrived this morning. There are a couple of scratches I’ve tried to capture on both shoes; the ones on the side vamp are fairly superficial but the one by the eyelets is more palpable. I have not had to manage scratches on my shell shoes so far, thankfully, but am seeking the opinions of more experienced individuals. Does anyone have any suggestions, or should I just try smoothing them using the spoon method and see what improvement I can get? Thanks. View attachment 1277833 View attachment 1277834
Scratches are inevitable and add to the patina in any shoe, but with shell they can usually be reduced or even eliminated with vigorous brushing and conditioning. I have returned shoes for blemishes before, but I wouldn't be too concerned about a small scratch on shell. Try brushing it really hard for a while. You can even add Bick4 or VSC a bit and brush that vigorously with a boar-bristle brush. These scratches are minimal and will likely buff out I think. You'll get worse ones in use.

Last edited:

Joe Schmoe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I typically just lurk here and enjoy the knowledge, but I thought I would ask today for any thoughts on improving some defects in these TS Dundees that arrived this morning. There are a couple of scratches I’ve tried to capture on both shoes; the ones on the side vamp are fairly superficial but the one by the eyelets is more palpable. I have not had to manage scratches on my shell shoes so far, thankfully, but am seeking the opinions of more experienced individuals. Does anyone have any suggestions, or should I just try smoothing them using the spoon method and see what improvement I can get? Thanks. View attachment 1277833 View attachment 1277834

those scratches are no big deal, I would not return. You could probably brush them out, or buff them out with your thumb. If that does not work, try rubbing with a spoon. But your thumb should be enough.

Joe Schmoe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
by the way, I really like the edges on those Dundees . I’ll bet they look fantastic once you start wearing them, assuming that you do so.. post more pictures!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads