• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thrift Couture

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
HM is an ok boot, a couple of people like it :) If on leather sole, it would be an awsome boot, on commando a great boot, on Dainite an ok boot. JMHO.
Then I wore a great boot today!
Indeed, I do agree it is a much better offering in shell cordovan on double JR. Also very nice on commando. The original version just never did it for me.

munchau

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For the one day a year it makes sense for me to have a flannel suit, I paired it with the fifth street.
9033F2FF-D772-4CEE-8110-81D7D1944D03.jpeg

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
This has me curious, since the person claims one boot came back smaller, is it possible to send shoes in for recraft and request, either 1/2 size or whole size smaller to achieve a better fit on a pair that are too large?
In order to effectively change the fit of a pair of shoes the insole needs to be taken out and replaced. This is something AE will not do. There are cobblers, who will at a significant price, Brian the Boot maker comes to mind. He will with measurements, take out the insole and create a hand welt, then re-last the shoe with his existing lasts that he builds up to mimic your measurements. To do this the shoe in question must be either really special or great sentimental value.

Last edited:

aero25

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This has me curious, since the person claims one boot came back smaller, is it possible to send shoes in for recraft and request, either 1/2 size or whole size smaller to achieve a better fit on a pair that are too large?
As shoenut said, AE won't do this. It is pretty intensive for a GYW shoe. I often lurk over at the Whites Boot thread, and I've seen a few guys mention there that they have had boots rebuilt to different sizes and/or lasts by White's. Different construction method, though. Traditionally they are hand lasted and stitch down, though I think their newer line is GYW.

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Indeed, I do agree it is a much better offering in shell cordovan on double JR. Also very nice on commando. The original version just never did it for me.
Are you guys saying that the entire footwear experience is greatly enhanced or ruined by just the sole material? If that is the case then it is obvious that the commando sole is superior to any other sole bar none for the HM. There I said it.

vdubiv

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In order to effectively change the fit of a pair of shoes the insole needs to be taken out and replaced. This is something AE will not do. There are cobblers, who will at a significant price, Brian the Boot maker comes to mind. He will with measurements, take out the insole and create a hand welt, then re-last the shoe with his existing lasts that he builds up to mimic your measurements. To do this the shoe in question must be either really special or great sentimental value.
As shoenut said, AE won't do this. It is pretty intensive for a GYW shoe. I often lurk over at the Whites Boot thread, and I've seen a few guys mention there that they have had boots rebuilt to different sizes and/or lasts by White's. Different construction method, though. Traditionally they are hand lasted and stitch down, though I think their newer line is GYW.
Thanks for the reply's, I was just thinking out loud. My thought was that if AE mad the shoe originally, and had the last for the same shoe in a smaller size it would be as easy as pulling the leather a little more taught and re-soling. Figured it wouldn't be as simple as I thought in my mind.
Plus AE has the insoles anyway???

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Just looking at the Shoebank right now. I ordered a Patton in 9.5B during the RDA. Now I see the same shoe on the bank as a second. I guess the Patton will not get to me in time before my next trip. Oh well.

Thrift Couture

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are you guys saying that the entire footwear experience is greatly enhanced or ruined by just the sole material? If that is the case then it is obvious that the commando sole is superior to any other sole bar none for the HM. There I said it.
I know it may sound weird, but yes. Lbvs! I really enjoy my Bourbon Mills on double JR. When I saw the HM at Oakbrook and fondled it, I lost all of my enthusiasm.
:lookaround:

Last edited:

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply's, I was just thinking out loud. My thought was that if AE mad the shoe originally, and had the last for the same shoe in a smaller size it would be as easy as pulling the leather a little more taught and re-soling. Figured it wouldn't be as simple as I thought in my mind.
Plus AE has the insoles anyway???
They do, but their facility is not set up in this fashion. This essentially becomes a full on rebuild. Their recrafting department is set up to handle resoling, lasting, and finishing. It would basically have to go through the new build line, and trying to push a special through there will gum up the works and likely result in something getting mishandled.
Also, they can only go smaller. That said, you may find your shoes fit tighter after a recraft if they had to sew further up onto the upper when they rewelt it. Several people have reported things feeling tighter (more than just a relasting) after a recraft.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads