• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BagleyBrown

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I noticed recently that I do not own a real Dalton. I own a medallion free bourbon pair, full austerity chili and 2 shells.

In the 2014 days of MTO, I recall reading here that it was asking a bit much to ask for brogue variations, so I asked my (beloved) first AE contact. She said that on some levels it is easier, because all they really have to do is leave out a few steps...IE, less room for error.

The "challenge" was maintaining the request through a disconnected system at the time 2014. So it always struck me that an austerity (or medallion only or medallion free) Dalton, 5 Street, Long Branch etc would be a great choice for some sort of fall promo.

They could offer a few models and skip or vary brogue details using (if they want) all the same materials, patterns etc, and literally, just skip some steps during the build. This would create a whole different range of products and variety.

Have treated this chili calf like regular boot leather,
I clean, nourish and brush.

In 2014, this is the MTO pair that shocked me, I had no idea the rabbit hole I was looking at.

I had never owned anything like these but knew there was room in the closet for more.

Last edited:

vdubiv

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I noticed recently that I do not own a real Dalton. I own a medallion free bourbon pair, full austerity chili and 2 shells.

In the 2014 days of MTO, I recall reading here that is was asking a bit much to ask for brogue variations, so I asked my (beloved) first AE contact. She said that on some levels it is easier, because all they really have to do is leave out a few steps...IE, less room for error.

The "challenge" was maintaining the request through a disconnected system at the time 2014. So it always struck me that an austerity (or medallion only or medallion free) Dalton, 5 Street, Long Branch etc would be a great choice for some sort of fall promo.

They could offer a few models and skip or vary brogue details using (if they want) all the same materials, patterns etc, and literally, just skip some steps during the build. This would create a whole different range of products and variety.

View attachment 1264964
View attachment 1264965
In 2014, this is the MTO pair that shocked me, I had no idea the rabbit hole I was looking at.

I had never owned anything like these but knew there was room in the closet for more.
Wow, those are beautiful! I love the subtleness of the wingtips without the broguing,

EZB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just to show you that I'm not trolling, I compared the fit of my 201 Bartlett and 65 Jefferson shoes. Not much difference, eh? They feel the same too. Therefore to me, 65 and 201 are the same.

View attachment 1264854

I don’t know. The legs don’t even look the same.

donkeyhoatie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
a day in shoes is a day not in boots.

Let's see, an IASIP name plus a similar feeling about boots? Yeah, you and I must be distant cousins or something.

Full disclosure: I feel odd quoting this on the first day in at least a month that I've worn a pair of AE shoes (chili MacNeils) and not boots. Thanks to @audog for setting the example of what a boot-centric life can look like. I'm pretty much all-in on it. Even turned down a pair of seconds in shoes from the most recent TS from the queen herself in my continued pursuit of boot life.

Last edited:

James1051

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Just to show you that I'm not trolling, I compared the fit of my 201 Bartlett and 65 Jefferson shoes. Not much difference, eh? They feel the same too. Therefore to me, 65 and 201 are the same.

View attachment 1264854
That's so weird because I notice the throat extends higher up my foot on the 201 vs the 65, the vamp volume is more, and even the 201 toe box vertically feels cavernous compared to the much snugger 65 toe box. Honestly, my First Aves almost feel a bit longer than say my Fifth Sts even.

LuxLemon

Reaction score
I'd say I have better than 50/50 chance; I intend to get a Romeo y Julieta Churchill, ingratiate myself and "fit in" (i surprise myself sometimes with how easily i can do so in certain circles), and play up the "visiting military member from an allied country" kinda deal.
It's so crazy it just might work. :hide:

Romeo y Julieta are good BTW

I tend to agree..

92878B17-2D94-4D1E-9F7A-DC9D1B900D2C.jpeg
And to keep it shoe related - Higgins Mill infront of some communist memorial..

EC68B689-F6B8-4331-A247-A8E9654C753A.jpeg

Last edited:

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Happy wingtip Wednesday forum pals. Time for some MacNeils. I actually have these listed on Ebay, but I may just keep them.

armedferret

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

In the 2014 days of MTO, I recall reading here that it was asking a bit much to ask for brogue variations, so I asked my (beloved) first AE contact. She said that on some levels it is easier, because all they really have to do is leave out a few steps...IE, less room for error.

View attachment 1264964
View attachment 1264965

@ae_ashley in keeping with tradition set by Scruffy the Janitor from TV's "Futurama", regarding the motion concerning passing this information up the ol' chain o' command....

7lWjDiH.png

M2511

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Happy wingtip Wednesday forum pals. Time for some MacNeils. I actually have these listed on Ebay, but I may just keep them.

View attachment 1265013
Well at least you took it a step further than I did. Or maybe in reverse. I haven't worn my natty or navy pairs with the intent to sell them but I haven't posted them on ebay yet. I'm bad about letting pairs go....

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Well at least you took it a step further than I did. Or maybe in reverse. I haven't worn my natty or navy pairs with the intent to sell them but I haven't posted them on ebay yet. I'm bad about letting pairs go....
:/ me too. Mine are even quarantined and have pics done...

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
What are those pants made from?

Rocking the same thing today, bourbon Mca’s.

View attachment 1264929
They are wool gabardine. One of my father’s favorite materials. Same type of weave as denim jeans. They last forever but because you can see the black back thread that type of material is reserved for odd trousers and not really suit material.

M2511

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
:/ me too. Mine are even quarantined and have pics done...
So are mine haha. It would be easier if they just disappeared and money appeared for them. The act of doing it is the tough part, I have never held regret afterward.

MajorDash

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They are wool gabardine. One of my father’s favorite materials. Same type of weave as denim jeans. They last forever but because you can see the black back thread that type of material is reserved for odd trousers and not really suit material.

It looks similar to a yak hair jacket I have.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads