• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Walnut Bartletts arrived.

The good news: Fit very well, sole edges look good, most everything looks good for a pair of seconds.

The bad: There is a black freckle or spot that is pretty visible. Pretty sure conditioner will not remove this. Wish it wasn't on such a visible part of the shoe. Then again, no one is going to see this except me.

Bottom line: Seems kind of silly to send these back because of a freckle, especially considering how everything else looks good. I'm afraid to return these because the next pair will likely not be this good.

Also worth noting: This is the first "new" Independence shoe I've tried. The lambskin lining looks and feels a little different than 2 years ago. It's sort of looks like kudu, but feels similar to the past lining. The 2017 lining was softer, but that lining also bled into my socks.

View attachment 1264840
View attachment 1264841
Looks like a drop of dye. I'm sure it'll fade in time. Interesting to hear about lining. The indy linings I have are epic, but bled to high heaven. Hope they didn't lower quality.

there totally isn't another dot on the mid left of the medallion

ProfilaBinding

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looks like a drop of dye. I'm sure it'll fade in time. Interesting to hear about lining. The indy linings I have are epic, but bled to high heaven. Hope they didn't lower quality.

there totally isn't another dot on the mid left of the medallion

It kind of feels closer to the lining on my Williams shoes, but not exactly the same. Those never bleed, but my brown Bartletts and Hopkinsons did and still do. I don't really know if it's lower quality, but it still feels great. The insole heel looks kind of textured though, like kudu.

vdubiv

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ever had a Cuban cigarette, it's basically a good Cuban cigar in a little package, one can get them duty free all over the place.......
I just received my restock of cigars, I filled my two humidors, and my 5 stick travel humidor, about 75 cigars in all.

I feel people who rant and rave about Cuban's don't smoke cigars often and just lust over them because they are hard to get ahold of and people think they are some kind of Holy Grail. Honestly a good Nicaraguan Cigar I feel is much better than any Cuban, and they are much easier to obtain.

Just my 0.02

vdubiv

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Before I found out about the extension, I put an order in for the RDA sale - my first AE's that weren't an MD chukka in a long time. I got a waxed tan Strandmok with a sole-change to JR. Pretty excited about that! Given home fast Trunk Show stuff was showing up, I'm kinda hoping they get here before I leave for Japan on the 2nd - I've taken several brand-new pairs of boots to Tokyo for what amounts to a break-in tour and I think it would be fun to do that with these too.

Might be too late, and maybe kinda late in the year for this color??
DMU2tp2.jpg

Definitely looking forward to them though...
I dig the color, plus they will darken over time anyway. As long as it's not going to be rainy in Japan while you are there I would wear them and break them in.

vdubiv

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm no guru on fit but I agree that the 12.5's might be right for you. You can work with a tight shoe (they almost always loosen up) but a loose shoe will never improve. Good luck.
This is what I'm thinking as well, as long as they don't start out too tight. As long as they are a little "snug" I believe the combination of wear and the pressure of the shoe trees they should loosen. However, with them being too large my foot will always slosh around, and it will prolly only get worse.

ProfilaBinding

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This always fascinates me as I find a world of difference between the 65 and 201. Just as an example there's no way in hell I could wear a 7C on the Strand, but I bet a 7B on the Bartlett might be damn good.

Just to show you that I'm not trolling, I compared the fit of my 201 Bartlett and 65 Jefferson shoes. Not much difference, eh? They feel the same too. Therefore to me, 65 and 201 are the same.

vdubiv

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just to show you that I'm not trolling, I compared the fit of my 201 Bartlett and 65 Jefferson shoes. Not much difference, eh? They feel the same too. Therefore to me, 65 and 201 are the same.

View attachment 1264854
They look super similar, though it's almost like one of those optical illusions where the line is the same size but one appears bigger. Maybe you can do measurements or use two different colors and trace the foot print?

To me it looks like the same shoe, just wing-tip VS. cap-toe

M635Guy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I dig the color, plus they will darken over time anyway. As long as it's not going to be rainy in Japan while you are there I would wear them and break them in.
This time of year is pretty spotty - I'd guess these will do just fine in the rain anyway :)

M635Guy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This always fascinates me as I find a world of difference between the 65 and 201. Just as an example there's no way in hell I could wear a 7C on the Strand, but I bet a 7B on the Bartlett might be damn good.
You're pretty low-volume, right?

He's filling up the cone and the difference is slightly-better closure and probably a bit of shaping he doesn't really feel - i.e. the 65 vs. 201 isn't all that much. For me, I can go 201 in a D with good closure which isn't going to happen on any 5-last shoe.

This is what I'm thinking as well, as long as they don't start out too tight. As long as they are a little "snug" I believe the combination of wear and the pressure of the shoe trees they should loosen. However, with them being too large my foot will always slosh around, and it will prolly only get worse.

You can't remove volume, but you can always add it. On the Alden side, two of my rare shell pairs are 12D in lasts where I'm an extremely-solid 11.5D. They were both definitely a sloshy fit until I stuck a thin Pedag angora insert in there and now they're perfect.

I've had a couple pairs start snug and break in to perfect, but if it's an oxford-closure shoe the v-gap still needs to be fairly close to make it work for me. I'm not a full-closure-or-death guy at all, but there is a point where it won't work for me.

vdubiv

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You're pretty low-volume, right?

He's filling up the cone and the difference is slightly-better closure and probably a bit of shaping he doesn't really feel - i.e. the 65 vs. 201 isn't all that much. For me, I can go 201 in a D with good closure which isn't going to happen on any 5-last shoe.

You can't remove volume, but you can always add it. On the Alden side, two of my rare shell pairs are 12D in lasts where I'm an extremely-solid 11.5D. They were both definitely a sloshy fit until I stuck a thin Pedag angora insert in there and now they're perfect.

I've had a couple pairs start snug and break in to perfect, but if it's an oxford-closure shoe the v-gap still needs to be fairly close to make it work for me. I'm not a full-closure-or-death guy at all, but there is a point where it won't work for me.
I don't know how I feel about wearing an insert, I feel like that's putting a band aid on. It may take up some of the looseness, however the shoes will appear to be to big because of the overall length. Then what is the point of having nice shoe's if they look clownish on you?

I'm taking a chance and ordered down a 1/2 size, and I'm talking with one of the stores about a pair that's a full size down and one letter size up in width. If I can't get a good fit on either of these I think I'm going to give up until I get back stateside.

M2511

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You can, possibly.

Me, not so much.

Cuba, North Korea, China, Russia, Iran and most of the rest of the Middle East, Venezuela/Chile/Columbia/lots of other bits of South America. All on the no-no list.

Thankfully Canada's still fair game. I'm ready to get up there and make some freezer-filling conquests.
Growing up in south Florida leaves me in a position that unless circumstances dramatically improve for the people in Cuba I will not travel there ever. I know most of the rest of the country doesn’t get it but when they opened travel to Cuba people down here were pretty upset about it.
I just received my restock of cigars, I filled my two humidors, and my 5 stick travel humidor, about 75 cigars in all.

I feel people who rant and rave about Cuban's don't smoke cigars often and just lust over them because they are hard to get ahold of and people think they are some kind of Holy Grail. Honestly a good Nicaraguan Cigar I feel is much better than any Cuban, and they are much easier to obtain.

Just my 0.02
Funny to hear this mentioned because I don’t know a lot of people that have had Nicaraguan cigars but those that have claim them to be better, cheaper, and obviously easier to obtain. I don’t personally take part so I cannot weigh in one way or the other but I have brought them back for people after visiting there quite a few times.

ace13x

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I meant to pick up round laces and completely forgot at the store. Good to know what I was experiencing is completely normal.

It'll take some getting used to, loosening the laces each time, makes me wish more of the eyelets were quick hooks.

Benjos doesn't list the width for they're dress boot laces, but I believe they are either 3mm or 4mm.

Also, I believe someone was lamenting that AE colored laces for shoes were only 30". Perhaps Benjos Golf Shoe laces (36") could work, though I do not know their diameter.

instigateur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Green FAs are on their way back for some minor finish work. Burgandy Dundees today, and I should have another TS pair showing up later this afternoon. I'm very happy with these, they are comfortable right out of the box and I'm sure will only get better. I've got more shoes on the 511 last than on any other, so I'm not surprised they feel so good.

Been reading some back postings about Dainite, I've really enjoyed it and as I mentioned it is very motorcycle friendly. But I know I'm in the minority on this one. Perhaps my size makes it behave slightly differently (I'm 6'6" and over 3 bills). How careful are you guys wearing leather soles outside in wet weather?

View attachment 1264230
6'4" and over 3. Also love dainite and the 511

instigateur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads