• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
And I like to have all shoes/boots in bags, on the shelves, with trees in every one. They are arranged so that I know which pair is which (as long as my memory still holds out). So for me, the bag thing is important, not a deal breaker, but important. I wonder how AE did the market research to see if people use the bags, don't use the bags? Was anyone on this thread contacted for their opinion on shoe bags and the usage of same?
We're the 1%, a statistical anomaly.

James1051

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I picked up in store, but my SA actually went and grabbed a second set of bags without me even asking for it.

He mentioned that they were transitioning again to different bags. We went from two bags to no bags to one giant bag, and now they're thinking of doing something else. But I didn't get any more detail than that.

The important takeaway was that the extra bag is no problem.
Ok there has been an uptick in our small sample size. Does not mean that overall quality is going south. Forgetting a few eyelets should not happen. I work in manufacturing and quality has gone from a huge quality department checking lots of product to quality process where the work is done in such a way that there are less overall defects and line or group workers catch the issues and fix as they work. The next big thing is what has management set up as quality parameters. Do they allow 3/8th of an inch gap at the welt joint or no gap? In most cases, the overall quality is an management issue. I am still seeing better overall quality. 2 years ago most mistakes were non repairable lasting and bad assembly. They newer issues are in an overall different class. As far as missing punch designs on a cap, I am pretty sure work ticket instructions are broken down to specific instructions instead of make a chili 5A. At my plant most line and group workers have no idea what the final product may be. AE is making a lot of one off make ups for all kind of reasons. Test make ups, 3rd party, oversea make ups. Plant workers are usually beat into just follow the instructions no matter how F uped it may seem. I know, I do deliver some of those beatings.

The bag issue seems strange and illogical but AE did do research and found that a huge percentage of their customers do not use the bags at all and just toss out or pile them in their closets. They also know the industry as a whole uses just one big bag. Especially the couple of comparable sized companies that do exist. AE does listen and responds quickly to customer concerns. Let’s try to remember that the vast majority of AE buyers are buying just a few pairs and are beating the **** out of the shoes. If you have ever seen the AE shoes that come back for recraft with no heel blocks, ruined welts, holes in the soles, and never seen polish then you would know how difficult it is to change any minor detail like shoe bags for everyone.
And I like to have all shoes/boots in bags, on the shelves, with trees in every one. They are arranged so that I know which pair is which (as long as my memory still holds out). So for me, the bag thing is important, not a deal breaker, but important. I wonder how AE did the market research to see if people use the bags, don't use the bags? Was anyone on this thread contacted for their opinion on shoe bags and the usage of same?
Good discussion on the bags. I also keep trees in every shoe and every shoe in a bag at all times. Which is DCO all the way! and makes it tough to find that shoe I want in the morning! Nevertheless, I'm a shoe guy and this is what we do!

I stocked up on the old off-white bags back when they were phasing them out and so haven't asked them to include a second "new" bag with recent purchases--because the single bags are too dang big anyway. The big single bags I toss, don't like them. Having one smaller bag for each shoe I like and I'd pay an extra buck or two if they gave me a check box for that option online.

I hope their new system involves the smaller, one shoe / bag bags. I loved the old school Horween cordo logo bags they sent us with the shoes in TS19 1.0. :lol: I know, get a life, right?

Last edited:

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I also keep trees in every shoe and every shoe in a bag at all times. Which is DCO all the way! and makes it tough to find that shoe I want in the morning! Nevertheless, I'm a shoe guy and this is what we do!
My granddaughter has solved that problem. She took all my shoes off my two shoe racks. All right shoes on one shoe rack and all lefts on the other. Color succession is black, brown, walnut, chili, burgundy and finally spectators. Plain toe, cap toe, quarter brogues, full brogues. 3 hours and many attempts but she was occupied.

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It is supposed to rain today. So I went with Bellevue. Not a drop, I am sure if I picked a all leather shoe it would have poured down cats and dogs.
AEC12B24-99DC-461B-A8C0-716EF9E84E2E.jpeg

tcbinnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Attachments

• 20191020_112013.jpg
    20191020_112013.jpg
    266.1 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:

Thrift Couture

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The bag issue doesn't really bother me because I've stocked up on AE and Alden bags, and I purchase more pre-owed shoes than new. I actually bought some off of Amazon that are nice. Yes, it would be nice to get them like we used to, but sometimes you can't get everything that you want.

Last edited:

armedferret

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Then i got home and realized arbys totally borked our order, only to be told "what I'm poseta do bout it?" by the manager (but only after arguing with me for 10ish minutes about what I'd ordered).

I totally get the fight for 15 bucks an hour. I tell ya if my deployed friends dont even make that much then a bunch of people laughing and joking and carrying on instead of paying attention to whats on the screen definitely need it.

I need an aspirin.

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Then i got home and realized arbys totally borked our order, only to be told "what I'm poseta do bout it?" by the manager (but only after arguing with me for 10ish minutes about what I'd ordered).

I realize fast food is traditionally an entry level workplace, often used by younger people. I also realize I am rapidly becoming a cranky older guy who shouts at people to get off his lawn. With this in mind, I continue to believe that too many of said employees are incapable of mult-itasking 3 or more correct items into a single bag.

armedferret

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I realize fast food is traditionally an entry level workplace, often used by younger people. I also realize I am rapidly becoming a cranky older guy who shouts at people to get off his lawn. With this in mind, I continue to believe that too many of said employees are incapable of mult-itasking 3 or more correct items into a single bag.

I did it as a youth for several summers. I was COMPLETELY incapable of doing it myself.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads