• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Sistine Chapel dogs. Not quite the "Creation of Adam" by Michelangelo, but as far as dogs go, pretty close. Oh, and wearing a pair of Caen boots while taking this.
IMG_9066.jpeg

NorCal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone own any of the Alpine series? Is the waterproof lining any good? Do they wear warm?

tcbinnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah ultimately the thing is still that the extra bag will be super huge and baggy (heh). I have some black shell PAs (apparently rare around these parts from what I've read) and I loooove their black AE Cordovan bags. Having some single-boot sized ones would be nice. I'd even pay extra to get them, silly as that is, but like I said before, it seems like AE is taking a stand on this and not really budging.
As for the single bag, I have thought before, assuming it does actually accomodate two boots (or one that's modified to the proper size) they could sew an inside separator of the same cloth and then actually protect each boot (or shoe). And in so doing, accomodate/satisfy their customers.

Quick finger drawing: Drawstring (or snap-flap) top and bottom with interior separator (dotted line). Carry handle on one side (not shown). Or, entries on sides and handle on top. Whichever version handles best.

Attachments

• 20191019003126c76b901d30135a62.jpg
    20191019003126c76b901d30135a62.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:

Count de Monet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wonder how many on this thread would pay $400 ish for a boot like this in a good calf skin assuming a variety of widths?

No shell, no medallion, no split welt, no rough leather, no brogueing apart from the captoe line (and perhaps along the horizontal seam).

AE seems enamored of starting with an Oxford design and loading it up with less formal elements, presumably because they think (or know) what sells.

So, just curious if such a boot in dark brown or black would be appealing to the folks here.

3BDD25D7-1808-423C-B4B4-28E98F5E5AF2.jpeg

Joe Schmoe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wonder how many on this thread would pay $400 ish for a boot like this in a good calf skin assuming a variety of widths?

No shell, no medallion, no split welt, no rough leather, no brogueing apart from the captoe line (and perhaps along the horizontal seam).

AE seems enamored of starting with an Oxford design and loading it up with less formal elements, presumably because they think (or know) what sells.

So, just curious if such a boot in dark brown or black would be appealing to the folks here.

View attachment 1262332

I would. I'd also love a boot like that in shell.

vkgfx

Reaction score
As for the single bag, I have thought before, assuming it does actually accomodate two boots (or one that's modified to the proper size) they could sew an inside separator of the same cloth and then actually protect each boot (or shoe). And in so doing, accomodate/satisfy their customers.

Quick finger drawing: Drawstring (or snap-flap) top and bottom with interior separator (dotted line). Carry handle on one side (not shown). Or, entries on sides and handle on top. Whichever version handles best.

I'd be interested to see if this were actually substantially cheaper than two separate bags, interesting as it is. It certainly seems fussier to use.
Ultimately I mostly use bags to either protect my nicest footwear from dust, or (along with other safe guards) help protect them in transit. Such a design would benefit the latter goal, but I keep my shoes and boots on a woodlore cedar shelf and being able to put them side by side is essential.

Ultimately these are things that sell, at retail, for $2. Given how much people buy into the unboxing experience for luxury goods like shell footwear, it seems like something worth tossing a few bucks towards. When I see one crummy bag with my $700+ footwear, my mind immediately questions whether there were other shortcuts taken. This is all very nitpicky and I'm sure I'll love my TS19.2 boots, but sometimes I just question the judgment they use in their decisions...

Roycru

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wearing English Tan Horween Dublin Leather McGillicuttys (MTO McAllisters with brass eyelets, reverse split welts, flat laces, and Dainite soles) while waiting behind a yellow line around an hour into a very long day. Am probably one of the very few members of this group who enjoy walking around all day on Dainte.

P1140687.jpeg

For fans of "A-E In The Wild" pictures, long days generate lots of them. Here's the first one.

Bill and I comparing watches (Santa Fe Rule 3) one last time before the start of his final run from Los Angeles. Bill and I have worked together and ridden together on trains for over forty years.

IMG_2565.jpeg

On long days, sometimes "A-E In The Wild" pictures tend to get wilder. Here's the second one.

At the pre Halloween Mystic Night Market event at Diehl Marcus & Company in East Hollywood. It was very mystical.

IMG_2589.jpeg

For fans of drink pictures in shoe threads, had several glasses (out of a steaming cauldron) of Witches Brew (cranberry juice, rum, apple brandy, and nutmeg) at the Mystic Night Market. It was very good and, as you can see from the ingredients, very good for you.

IMG_2570.jpeg

For fans of food pictures in shoe threads and who can't make out the food through the rising steam, here's it is.

Minor food note, the pumpkin cookies went very well with the Witches Brew although was rather bummed out about there being no absinthe cookies with champagne frosting like last week.

IMG_2584.jpeg

bpanicola

Reaction score

View attachment 1262332

I would depending on what last it was made On.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Anyone own any of the Alpine series? Is the waterproof lining any good? Do they wear warm?
Have a pair of Alpine boots but haven't tested them in inclement weather yet. Bought them for winter use and haven't had any winter yet :) I am reluctant to wear them and walk in the lake, so haven't tested them. I'm taking AE at it's word that they are waterproof. As far as wearing warm, about the same as any other boot I have during my summer wears, so I'm not looking for them to be like shearling lined boots in winter.

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

that would be more expensive to produce, though.

View attachment 1262332
I would in dark brown

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads